Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good download rate?

• 26-04-2001 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Well, I am downloading something right now and I am getting 4.6 sustained rate on a 56k modem. Is that good or pretty crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

In my experience, that's not bad. I've got close to 5.0 on occasions, possibly even a little over, but it's rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

4.6 pretty average with the irish system but should be able to get more

umm good question ... is 500k/s good from a 10meg line?

heanet ya pack of gimps I WANT MORE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

ususally i get 5+ , sometimes it peaks(only for a sec) at 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeha, 500kilobytes is the average for a 10M/bit Lan setup.....
    where are u getting that? u work in a netfarm or sumfing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

well i am on a 56k, i connect 2 the net at 54.6Kb/sec and my downloads are bout 6.5-7.5Kb/sec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Hey Lucifer - what ISP do you use where u get such a good connection speed?
    I connect with eircom/elive/oceanfree and the most I ever get is 45ish/kbps connection... (oh and my average downloads are from 3.6 to 5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I use downlaod accelerator pro (www.speedbits.com) and durin the busy hours on iol no limits (8pm - 10 pm) it gets me rates of 5.2k-5.5k and i connect at around 45,333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well on esat blow limits i can get a nice 5.6 - 6k a second no problem - its a new phone line which helps.

On a 4meg pipe from heanet i get about 160-220k btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Lucifer; On a 56k? I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

LK.. 500k/s is a pretty damn good rate off an 10Mb ATM link on Heanet.. I'd assume thats from a reasonable site in the UK, 30-80k/s would be the usual from the vast majority of sites.

Your only really going to top 500 when its from one university to another.. anything inside HEAnet itself, or sites with huge bandwidth (sunsite, european mainland universities etc.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement