Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coalitions

Options
  • 05-04-2002 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

What would be your preferred coalition after the election?

A: FF + PD
    B: FF + LAB
    C: FG + LAB
    D: FF + SF
    E: FG/LAB/PD
    F: FG + PD
    G: FG + SF
    H: FG + Green
    I: FF + Green

What is your preferred coalition? 19 votes

FF & PDs
    0% 0 votes
    FF & Labour
    31% 6 votes
    FG & Labour
    21% 4 votes
    FF & Sinn Fein
    15% 3 votes
    FG & Labour & PDs
    5% 1 vote
    FG & PD's
    10% 2 votes
    FG & Sinn Fein
    5% 1 vote
    FG & Green
    0% 0 votes
    FF & Green
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

I take it nobody ever wins an outright majority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

More options for the poll please...

FG/Labour/Greens
    FG/Labour/Sinn Fein
    Labour/Greens/Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    Labour/Greens/Sinn Fein

hahhahahahahah! I know this is about preferred options, but it has to be someway realistic.

I am now going to eat my hat: what about FF + FG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I take it nobody ever wins an outright majority?

Nope, not for years. And as Chaos-Engine points out, there's a fair chance of a Rainbow Coalition this time round.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I see two people have voted for FG & Labour & PDs.

There is no way you will see Noonan, Red Ruairi and Harney on the same front bench, let alone the same page.

The PDs realise that their only bedfellows are FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Nope, not for years. And as Chaos-Engine points out, there's a fair chance of a Rainbow Coalition this time round.

As turnout has got smaller over the years, the chance of an overall majority have diminished a lot, hence the rise of the Greens and what have been in the past the smaller parties. Its always been a good feature of Irish Politics, I feel that there have been a few small parties down the years.

How many single issue candidates will be elected? One less for sure, with Gildea gone... will there be more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

FG + SF is not very likely. The next government will probably consist of the present FF + PD coalition or if FG get there act together a FG + Green + Labour coalition. Personally i'd like to see a maintanence of the status quo of FF + FG, they have had their fair share of problems but they are by far out weighed by sucesses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Tweedle dum and tweedle dummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Mary Harney is going to struggle to get re-elected in the new Dublin Mid-West and Molloy is stepping down.
    None of their new candidates are guaranteed a seat according to the polls.

If you step back and look at it the PDs are probably going to struggle to get adequate numbers(i.e. less than they have now) to make it worthwhile going into coalition with them.

As the leader of another party You'd be better off doing a deal with one or two independents if possible as independents would be lower maintenance - all you'd have to do is buy them off and solve their single issue, they wouldn't expect to have any major influence on policy formation especially as that isn't their mandate.

Advertisement