Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ poll

Options
  • 05-04-2002 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Cos noone actually answered in the other thread :)

Al.

What format should the FAQs take? 11 votes

One main (sticky) thread with multiple links to (non-sticky) FAQ threads
    0% 0 votes
    One sticky thread for each FAQ (Java, C/C++, GUI, Other)
    54% 6 votes
    Other (I have posted a suggestion below)
    45% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I think it should be a separate website that can be maintained by several people and linked to from a sticky thread here.
    The fewer sticky threads the better.

Maybe we could have it hosted on someones (I'm not using mine) boards.ie webspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right what I would say is one sticky for each Lang/Tech with multiple links to non sticky treads. Make the sticky locked and only let the mods add what they think is usefull so you only have one post per sticky if you get what I mean. What way it would be easy to find a good answer when you looking for them.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

C or C++

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by kayos
    Right what I would say is one sticky for each Lang/Tech with multiple links to non sticky treads. Make the sticky locked and only let the mods add what they think is usefull so you only have one post per sticky if you get what I mean. What way it would be easy to find a good answer when you looking for them.

kayos

Yeah sounds good. But we could leave the sticky unlocked and just get medieval on any posts that were OT.

Enygma - doesn't that defeats the whole purpose of the adventure? We can link to usenet faqs if that were the case. We need people to be able to post their own q/a's...

My 2 cent.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Enygma - doesn't that defeats the whole purpose of the adventure? We can link to usenet faqs if that were the case. We need people to be able to post their own q/a's...

Yeah, but I'd really rather not have a whole bunch of sticky threads at the top of the board. It could get out of hand pretty quickly and you could end up with 10 sticky threads and then the most recent post. That'd just be annoying.

Is a message board really the right place for a FAQ anyways? If we're going to do one shouldn't we do it properly using a FAQ-o-matic or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Enygma

Is a message board really the right place for a FAQ anyways?

Definitely. Where do people post their questions?

If we're not going to mention the FAQs on the board and allow people to update it, then there's no point in having an FAQ in the first place.

If we're going to do one shouldn't we do it properly using a FAQ-o-matic or something?

lol, I've just been talking to Regi about this for the last 10 mins :)

It's a very real possibility.

It could get out of hand pretty quickly and you could end up with 10 sticky threads and then the most recent post. That'd just be annoying.

It'd be annoying alright, but no need to pour petrol on the sparks: we're talking 1 - 4 stickys, no one mentioned 10.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

One sticky thread with links to each FAQ that is in it's own thread.

That way you can go off and read the FAQ from the one post and if it's updated in anyway then it will jump back up the forum.

Go medevil on any off topic posts whatsoever in the thread (not even smartie comment replies).

Also work out a lot of them rather then just the languages, have things like building, testing, methods of programming, etc.

For example, from the Main FAQ there is a link to a "Build FAQ". In the build FAQ it relates to all things build related like Ant, Make, InstallShield (although that would be more kitting ;) ).

If a topic in that FAQ starts to dominate the thread (eg 80% is ANT) then put a link in the first post of that thread to an FAQ about ANT. It will allow you to sub-divide.

Moderator can use split/join threads to clean up FAQ's.

Each FAQ in the first post should list links to sub threads and explain quite clearly the rules in posting to the FAQ thread.

Start each FAQ topic thread with something like "*FAQ* <subject>". Delete any posts that people start with that header in the subject line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd tend towards having one stick open thread for each Language/Section that warrants one, and perhaps a section or two to cover others. After the first few weeks of posts a lot of the basics will be covered so there'll be less additions.

Of course this would require a lot of judicious Mod'ing, but I'm sure the Mods in residence are well up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Just the one sticky with each post being a link to a moderated thread on a different language, topic etc. It gets very ugly otherwise, and the threads move fairly swiftly through this forum so the more you can see the better. The work board has multiple sticky threads but that isn't so bad because its a fairly quiet board.

Heres my addition - this stuff is gold dust imo (if you've been half heartly taught pointers in a 5 minute tutorial in college):-

Pointers and Memory:
    http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/102/
    http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/102/PointersAndMemory.pdf

Linked List Basics:
    http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/103/
    http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/103/LinkedListBasics.pdf

Also if you want to continue down the road of Linked Lists in C++ its very important to understand why you have rewrite the "Assignment Operator" and a "Copy Constructor" for the linked list class, this isn't covered by these pdf files (based on C), but these key words should send you in the proper direction.

Advertisement