Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating bios

Options
  • 05-04-2002 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on updating an old intel al440lx mobo, its got a NEC bios on it so it wont upate normaly. Tried to do it using the recovery method but didnt work. any one got any other ideas or maybe im doing the recovery way wrong?
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

Dunno but you could try these

wimsbios.com
    motherboards.org
    abios.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

have you a later version than that is on the intel website...
    V14 12/1/99 -
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

yup ive an older version but the only update you can do is an intel one which is 86a or somthing and my current bios is a NEC 11a one so when it goes to update it wont cause of the version conflict....dumb bios i guess:]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

found on google

If you have problems with the recovery thing and your PC can still post and you don't like hex-editors for some reason I can get the files off ya and do it for you as soon as I get a chance... (no guarantees that it won't fry the mobo tho' as always with bios updates you don't have to do it so..) but the recovery method sounds pretty straightforward.

The relevant text is copied below:

When the Intel program starts to upgrade the BIOS, it checks the BIOS header. In the header:

4A4LL0X0.86A.0031.P14

The .86A indicates that the BIOS is from Intel. However, on an OEM machine, the BIOS header is different. Here is an example of one of the Dell headers:

4A4LL0X0.10A.0027.P09.9803261356

The .10A indicates that the BIOS is from Dell, and that the BIOS version is P09. Using the normal upgrade utility, you won't be able to upgrade the BIOS because of this check. However, there is a way to bypass this check. The motherboard has a feature that allows it to do an emergency recovery of the BIOS in case something goes wrong. To use this feature, you have to remove the configuration jumper and put the BIOS disk in the drive. When your machine boots, it will start reading from the floppy, and start loading whatever BIOS is on the disk (provided it is a BIOS for the AL440LX) without doing the 86A check. The computer will indicate success with a series of beeps, and there will be no indications on your monitor during this phase. Before I give you the detailed instructions on what you need to do, the disclaimer monster has to rear it's ugly head:

Using the BIOS from Intel will probably void the warranty on your computer from your manufacturer; check with the manufacturer and their policy. You should check with them first for a BIOS update. If your manufacturer hasn't been able to help or hasn't provided any BIOS upgrades, you can use the Intel BIOS; just make sure the BIOS addresses the problem you're having by reading the readme file included with each BIOS upgrade.

Now that that ugliness has been taken care of, first try upgrading the BIOS using the Intel program on the BIOS upgrade disk. If this doesn't work, you can do one of two things: modify the BIOS files using a hex editor, or load the BIOS using the BIOS recovery method. If you know how to use a hex editor, you can edit the four BIOS files ending in .bio, bi1, bi2, and .bi3. The beginning of each file contains the BIOS header. Edit this header to match the maker of your motherboard. So, if you want to load an Intel BIOS on a Dell computer, you would change the .86A to a .10A. This process also works in reverse. If you aren't comfortable using a hex editor to modify the BIOS files, you should use the BIOS recovery method.

Again, you should note that this will probably negate or at least affect the warranty on your computer from your manufacturer. But, if you've reached this point they probably haven't been much help so far. And of course, who is to say that you can't use the same procedure to reflash the OEM BIOS if something goes wrong? Just a warning.

How do I load the BIOS using the BIOS recovery method?

Create the BIOS disk according to the directions in the BIOS download file. I suggest you create two disks (one as a backup) in case something goes wrong and the disk gets messed up. If you have the manual for your motherboard, use the procedure for recovering the BIOS on page 43:

1. Turn off the computer
    2. Remove the configuration jumper to set recovery mode
    3. Insert the bootable BIOS disk in A:
    4. Turn on the computer and let it boot
    5. Listen to the speaker:
    2 beeps and the end of activity in A: indicate successful recovery
    A series of continuous beeps indicates failure. Return to step one and try again.
    6. If recovery is successful, turn off the computer.
    7. Put the configuration jumper on pins 1 and 2 to set normal mode for setup
    8. Leave the BIOS upgrade disk in A: and turn on the computer.
    9. Perform the BIOS upgrade as normal.

Advertisement