Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 95/98/Me/2k

• 26-04-2001 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

i am just wonderin, i am runnin 2000, and sum ppl hav said its not as good as 98, i think it is more stable etc, just wonderin what every1 else thinks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I ran 98 for about a year and had nothing but problems, reinstalled it countless times. I've had 2k on for about 1 1/2 years now and had very few problems ... still on the original install. I guess it really depends on what you want to do. Unless you plan on gaming alot stay with 2k ... true 2k runs most games fine, but some games (my 10 fps in cs for example) it has difficulties with.

Redesigned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well i recon the average life of Win 9x on a system such as mine and my m8' who also play a lot of games and install other stuff is about 6 months

At the moment im running Windows Whistler Beta 2 build 2419 its only on a few days but its sweet smile.gif

ill tellu how stable it is in aobut 6 months wink.gifbiggrin.gif

"So long loosers whom I've always hated"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

2000 is far more stable, I have the same basic install for around 10 months now. It is solid as a rock, it will not let one program crash the whole system. As for games, I have had one or 2 problems with direct3d games, but quake3, quake, cs run perfectly. Only thing that won't work is bleem smile.gif . I'm gonna try black and white on it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

win2k pro was a ***** f or me at the start, reinstall every weekend, now its going strong for months, i dont know what it was that was causing this but i dumped allot of freeware the last time and it seems to have worked, allso i defag daily even twice a day sometimes

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 27-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jademan

All i will add that
    Win98 is mainly for gamers/musicians & home
    i.e users not installing 4 gb of software.
    WinMe same as above but hell of a lot slower
    Win2k Stable, Stable,No f**ked service pack yet! Install as much as ye want and as long as ye watch the amount of services, mem usage etc you will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I find the majority of games run just as well on 2k as they would on a 9x machine; most of the early compatibility issues have been sorted out at this stage.

just dont try running it with less than 128megs of ram smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

no way m8. millenium is the best choice for gaming u can make. its 98 and 2000 rolled into one nice package. I have run 95 for years, and its actually second behind millenium. its true you have to format and reinstall it a lot, but with the right drivers it works best.

98 never was stable. 2000 is fine for work or fine for home if you have a powerful enough system, but millenium has the nicest balance.

GEt the right drivers and any os will run nicely. although, having said that, i get tired of fixing m8's pc's over and over and over just because they had to try this demo, or download that file ro fill up their harddrive with piles of garbage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i'v been runin '98 second ed for 2yr's with no problems what so ever, i play alot of games, n no probs at all, 98 first ed is a different story thats a bit buggy alright! biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

ME runs fine for me 99% per cent of the time, some problems exiting CS sometimes and a few hangs on shutdown but otherwise fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i run windows 98 on one of my computers and win2k on the other.
    I used to use the 98 computer all the time as it has better sound card - video card etc
    but i found myself more and more using the win2k machine for more work based stuff like graphics - web design programs etc - seems to be more reliable with more high end applications.
    conclusion - use 98 for multimedia and arsing around with games and **** and have a dual boot of win2k for the heavy stuff smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

im startin to get worried reading this. Ive had 98se running on my machine for a year, and ive never needed to format or re-install (apart from a few files that got borked by a virus) at all. I dont think id even know how to. Am i a complete luddite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'v Had 2000 on my last system and this one, since the 15th of jan 2000 (its build 2195) I find it to be a lot better than 95/98 and NT. I hear ppl saying that "oh its not ment for games and it dont run them right and stuff". But I have only ever had one problem with a game in win2k (The game is The Nomad Sole) and the programers made it so it will not work on a NTFS drive and/or Windows NT/2000 (it say's so in the Redme for it) beond that everything works fine. As for which is more stable, It has to be win2k. You can know when its going to crash (as it has only ever dont it from somthing I have done my-self) I find it alot faster (NTFS is a very good file format for it, FAT32 is very slow) I use Defragment as an example, If I was to defragment my hd's (split as two 30gb drives) in 98 it would take all night, but in 2k it takes 15 min to defragment a 60gb NTFS RAID -0 ARRAY.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucifer.POD:
    i am runnin 2000, and sum ppl hav said its not as good as 98, </font>

OMFG!!! Win2K is a fully fledged 32bit OS with Hardware Abstarction Layer (HAL). Win 9X on the other hand is a "32" bit OS with backwards support for 16bit software,allows programs to directly access the hardware and take the processor hostage and is for all intensive purposes, evil!

-End of Rant-

P.S I am posting this message on a Win98 PC frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StrataGIST:

At the moment im running Windows Whistler Beta 2 build 2419 its only on a few days but its sweet smile.gif

</font>

U wont be using it in 6 months as it will have expired.!!!!

[This message has been edited by flamegrill (edited 28-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StrataGIST:
    Well i recon the average life of Win 9x on a system such as mine and my m8' who also play a lot of games and install other stuff is about 6 months

</font>

Im running AOL_IMAC_OS aka 'Whistler' build 2462, and it seems to be just as slow as 2k for me, for games, although I do have a VIA chipset which probably added complications...

Advertisement