Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dave fanning

Options
  • 05-04-2002 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Whats the story with dave fannings new show on 2fm at 7. He only plays a few songs, its just a phone in and its only an hour long. His old show was the best on the radio, they have replaced him at 9 with the useless rick o'shea who like the rest of the djs at 2fm plays nonstop pop. Petsounds on the today fm is the only decent show on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

RTE really f ucked him over didn't they? After all his years of good service too. I think it's a shame that they decided to themselves that Petsounds was better (which it isn't) and so there was no point in even trying to compete. I feel sorry for Dave and I feel even more sorry for Jim Lockhart who seems of received a full P45 from the radio bosses. Making matters worse for Dave is the fact that Tom Dunne has taken over his slot on Planet Rock Profiles or whatever its called on the telly, even though as everyone who's heard him conduct an interview over the radio knows: he can't cut the mustard the same way as Fanning did. Merely murmering "yeahhhhhh" and "mmmmmmm" and agreeing with everything his interviewees says does not a good interview make. He's Alan Partridge dressed up as a rock star. An even when he was an alleged "rock" "star" his band sucked.

Going back to Fanning, does this mean the end of his annual 'Fanning's Fab 50? Maybe now he's only got an hour (less with the ad breaks) he's gonna call it 'Fanning's Fab 5'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

This is indeed a disgrace, what would christmas be without fannings fab 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

indeed...relegated like all the best people these days...a true legend :):) 2fm used to actually be quite brill @ night what with dave followed by uaneen's brilliant show (the best on the radio for sure) and now sadly it has just gone downhill so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Speaking of Fanning - why did he ever present 2TV? He clearly despised the job and made no secret of the resentment he felt towards almost all of the music he played.

Remember the Boyzone incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Monkey

ahhhhh the memories.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no. remind me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I remember that!

Remind me again, just for old times sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Dave fanning should be able to say everything he said in 2 hours in an hour if he just speeds you talking abit, and I know his just holding back because of the sonic boom which would ocurr from such an event.

Tom Dune, way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

he had 'muppet face' louis walsh on his show last nite,plugging his history of irish pop cd and once again slagging any band he hadn't managed..wat was dave thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

someone left his mic turned on during a Boyzone video and he started slagging them off. Then, in a pathetic display, they brought some of Boyzone in to co-present 2 tv the next week as some sort of apology

• Advertisement

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    louis walsh on his show last nite,plugging his history of irish pop cd

satan was promoting again :mad: . what is the point of that cd. bollox to his vision of the history of Irish music. fabricated pop bands don't count. as much as i hate what i am going to say but maybe Boyzone seeing as they were the first Irish boyband to make any dent in the charts but only them

someone left his mic turned on during a Boyzone video and he started slagging them off. Then, in a pathetic display, they brought some of Boyzone in to co-present 2 tv the next week as some sort of apology
    strange that. my sister made mention of that this morning. i remember hearing about it when it happened now

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

I was looking at the track list last week and to my surprise
    'Fergal Sharky' Off the Undertones was on it.
    Why?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

How come the Revs weren't on it Louis's their manager isn't he?:cheeky:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I dont think Louis walsh manages The Revs as they were slagging the fúck outta him on Ruth scott pap of a show.
    Jesus the dave and uaneen combo was brilliant and now we have Ruth(ugly ugly woman) and Rick NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Dave Fanning new show is dire. He spouts complete tripe. Petsounds is a superior show. Dave appears to be becoming increasingly irrelavent. Rick o shays show is just crap. Ruth Scotts show was fairly decent (cough, cough) before they changed it. The only decent show on 2fm these days is the album show by that american jock. Now thats good radio. Unfortunatly those **** at montrose have confined him to a late late night show.
    I dont understand why 2fm are going in the direction of non stop pop. The increasing popularity of petsounds, here comes the night on today fm, and the brilliant phantom fm, show that people in general are just sick & tired of listening to tripe on the wireless.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I do agree that when Ruth took over Uaneens' spot, the music wasn't that bad, But then Rick and Ruth started this whole thing of text messages and crap, and famous for 15 minutes, which is basically a couple of unfunny spas who have nothing better to do than try be cool by being "mad"! And now Ruth has the 11-1 spot all to herself, but continues the same old crap that Rick did.
    God he was actually proud of playing that princess superstar song first. He should've stayed on Atlantic and faded away from Irish radio like they did. DAMN IT! I HATE RICK O SHEA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

He still has his Sunday night show 8.00-11.00 and I think its just him and his music, no more live stuff or interviews. Tom Dunne's show is fine but Dave's range is/ was way better. Tom would never play the likes of Mogwai, Low, Handsome Family, Palace Brothers, or any Irish stuff like Rednecks, Joan of Arse, Dudley Corporation etc. But still, its all choice I suppose and it is good that the Pet Sounds show exists..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

I always thought Fanning was way overrated, I only listened to him in the hiatus between pirates like Capital shutting down in the late 80s, and the new wave of pirates in the 90s. (Unless of course I knew he had somebody good/ somebody I knew on for a session).

Sure enough, he did play a lot of good stuff, but he played a lot of dross as well - I'm glad I grew up in Dublin where I had other stations to shape my musical tastes. His contribution to supporting new irish bands is admirable, but he supported lots of incredibly sh*i*te irish bands as well as good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

last night dave fanning played unsigned dublin band OZ who are fcuking deadly... so anyone who does that cant be bad... pity his show was moved though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

2fm has performed a self-burial act and no more dave
    fanning music is a loss to the real music people.
    This lets more people in through Tom Dunne's door and may even open the door for Phantom FM to officially mark it's territory
    on the radio waves....may even Dave could be their veteran DJ
    if they make that step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

That's actually not such a bad idea when you think about it, but would they have the bread? Fanning would surely be looking for a bakery but Phantom could probably only offer him a batch loaf..

Advertisement