Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are These Boards Getting Boring!!!!!!!

• 05-04-2002 7:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking through a few posts and there seem a be a lot of dislike for the way people are not allowed voice their opinion in lets say a more stenuous way.
    Now before anyone gets on their high horse I m not trying to stir anything up.
    Im just noticing comments where people are afraid of being banned for adding to an argument.
    Ill probably get a wrist smacking for this but before you who are Holy to these web pages decide what punishment should be dished out to me let people have their say.
    I personally dont find these boards boring and they get me through a hectic 9 hour working day.Jesus actually dont know what Id do without them during those slack times.
    But Id like to find out any one elses opinion!!!!

"""Ronan, this is because the moderators don't allow much in the way of polemic or any sort of ehh robust debate. That's why these boards are so boring. """one example posted by Von today

Are these boards getting boring? 14 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Umm is this really suited to Admin?

.logic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I thought so.Where do you think it should be???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Boards does have a particular style and culture unique to it. Other boards have very little rules to begin with but slowly find themselves having to bring them in as the population grows.

It could be said that Boards is the size it is, and continues to grow because of the way it's run. If there were no rules the whole system could break down. I use to post to Usenet a lot but left because it became over run with spam and ranting losers.

On the subject of allowing people to voice there opinions in a strenuous way. There are several things you've got to consider.

1. Potentially boards.ie could be sued for publishing libelous opinions. As boards.ie has no assets to speak of this could bring the whole site down. Just because of one libelous post.

2. There is a difference between rational calm discussion and shouting abuse at each other.

3. Racist, sexist and other anti-social rantings are censored by most other mediums. Why should boards.ie be any different?

4. Boards.ie is privately owned. It's not a public place. Just like you obey the rules of a pub or get booted out or told to shut up. And like a pub if you don't like the rules you go to a pub you do like.

For example, in Games, Shinji and myself often delete posts about illegal software. If we didn't, people might come to Games just to trade warez. The guards would have to shut down Games and probably bring boards.ie to court.

Humanities is a much harder one to moderate as there are so many emotive topics discussed. It's very hard not to get worked up and hurl abuse at somebodies opinion you strongly disagree with. But just like in real-life(tm) if you don't be civil about it, the authorities will stamp down on you.

And lastly there are plenty more forums out there. If someone doesn't like the way boards is run there's no law that says they can't leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Im just noticing comments where people are afraid of being banned for adding to an argument.
    Please could you provide links to these comments so we can discuss individual cases on their merits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭frankly

There could be a case here where it was asked how many acccounts users had and the thread was locked

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=46529
    Thread closed, "backup" deleted.

People with more then one active account will have both banned.

DeV.

i cant see any one complaining about being banned for commenting on having a second account.
    Devore was restating the rules of the Boards.IE as they currently stand.
    Secondry accounts tend to be used for things that the original poster does not wish to be associated with,in other words muppetry which the admins then have to waste time cleaning up.
    The Thread IMHO was closed because having stated the case that secondry accounts are not tollerated.There was really nothing that could be added to the original thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Amp I do understand the rules of these boards.I was just asking a question.I realise that what is said here is legally binding andthat racial and illegal comments are not to be tolerated but with regards to being told to shut up or get booted out of a pub for having a friendly rant with friends -ive never seen it happen.As a matter of fact Im sure that everyone who uses these boards has at some time been in a friendly argument with someonewhere there were raised voices and even ranting when it came to an emotive topic.All Im saying is that IMO the majority of people on these boards are friendly and courteous to other users and sometime emotive topics come up and I think that maybe a little leeway on the banning etc should be allowed.In the case of illegal topics then yes I do agree with these people being banned.But for a bit of a rant-cmon!
    I agree with Clinton on the second account issue.I have only one account and Im not afraid to say what I want to say whether it causes a disagreement or not.I would say that there are people out there using 2 or more accounts for the purpose of flaming etc.
    By the way can the moderators trace these users.Because if someone has a dynamic IP address then I would assume that these people could have as many accounts as they have e-mail addresses??
    I ve already stated that since I discovered these boards it has become like an addiction and in no way is it boring at all.

Fair enough Richie, but the way boards are moderated evolved over time from experience. It's not perfect, but it works.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Devore mentioned banning people a lot lately because there was a lot of "chain pulling" and stuff going on by those bad, bad 10 guys and there was lots of sarcasm and mendacity to deal with... which almost made baby jebus cry, but baby jebus always comes back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I really dislike the topic, did you have to use so many !'s? It may be a question but sticking such a topic on the admin section of boards.ie is surely sensationalist. What you were really asking was if (the necessary) censorship was limiting the ability to have more interesting threads and discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Originally posted by richie18
    Just looking through a few posts and there seem a be a lot of dislike for the way people are not allowed voice their opinion in lets say a more stenuous way.

You mean in a less articulate way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭frankly

In regards to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=46529
    Originally posted by Clinton Cat
    The Thread IMHO was closed because having stated the case that secondry accounts are not tollerated.There was really nothing that could be added to the original thread.

But noting that this thread was only open for less then 24hours and it had 36 votes and 10 votes claimed to have more then one account.
    Had it not been locked and left open for say a week I think it could have given a surprisingly high number of users who would claim to have more then one account?
    So how come it got locked so abrubtly?

*Note the date the thread was started.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It got locked simply because it was clearly opened by someone who wanted to start trouble imho. It doesnt *add* anything to boards and it was spammy crap in the admin section (which I might add is NOT for statistical polls).

Look Richie, the reason everyone is kinda talking down to you is that honestly we've been doing this for years. Years and years and we'd heard this arguement a thousand times. We even have cards for it. We've even *tried* it (remember the Trolls board anyone?).

It doesnt work. Someone has to keep order and that means a bouncer and people dont like bouncers. Tough.

As you say 99% of posters are polite and civil, its the same names coming up again and again as trouble makers.
    So, losing 1% to drop the aggro level 90% seems like a tradeoff to me.

What *EXACTLY* is your problem tho?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

What *EXACTLY* is your problem tho?

do you feal lucky punk?
    go ahead richie18 make his millenium!

maybe because that a lot of the posters are on holiday around the ole easter time.....

but there are a few good discusions still going on
    I ve already stated that since I discovered these boards it has become like an addiction and in no way is it boring at all.

i think the ole boards presuedeatron is working well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

I think your question is a bit wrong. Your poll asks do we find these boards boring? Yet your statement goes on about the rules and censorship. What has that got to do with the boards being boring? If you are asking do people find these boards boring because they are boring I personally think thats a bit childish(and I'm not attacking you or saying you are childish).

The rules are there for a reason and I think the mods do a good job. I have never had a post deleted(although my sig was changed) but I wouldn't give a **** if it did because this is the internet and what happens on here does not affect my personal or real-life(tm). ;)

Devore I dont feel that I ** DO**have a problem.Unless of course you are suggesting that Im in that 1% that you are talking about.In which case I would be very annoyed as I feel that in most threads that I post in I do try to contribute as much as I can,I dont post anything illegal and I rarely end up having a shouting match with anyone(ok once or twice).Ok sometimes I get a bit irrational and maybe even end up sounding like an idiot but then again who doesnt.
    Maybe the question I should have asked was as Greenbean suggested "Is the necessary censorship limiting the ability of these boards to more meaningful and interesting discussions?"If this was the question put to people I wonder what the outcome of the poll would be then?Maybe........

And I do agree that the moderators are needed as without them there would be racist/illegal etc. threads posted!
    But surely as the moderators can edit posts then Edit them but dont delete them at the first sign of trouble ie.I f someone does start trouble ie. tells some one to STFU(Im guilty of that one-Apologies Stu_69) then edit it out if the rest of the thread is goin Ok.I hope you get my meaning-there is no need to delete a post if only one line should be removed.
    As for locking threads-It seem to be the best way of calming everyone down especially if it is locked for say 24 hours or so.It give people time to think rationally again and sometimes threads which have been locked for a lenght of time end up being the most interesting to read.
    Ok time for bed.Night all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

For what its worth, Boards.ie is the best fourm boards i've ever come accross online because of the way its maintained.
    Alot of fourm boards degrade into constant spamming / flaming (as amp as already mentioned) all structue breaks down and intelligent disscussion goes out the window for the most part.

Mods are needed.

If u want uncesored disscussion use irc...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Richie18, while not part of the 1% I'd drop for an easy life (mostly those people have been dropped already), you have a remarkable ability to be hotheaded and a bit strident with some mods (IO would be one place I've seen you be quite blunt.)

The replies here explain the need for the mods. My point was, you say you love reading the boards during work and dont know what you'd do with out them, and in the same breath you decry the lack of freedom of speech and ask: Are these boards boring?

I just wanted to know if there was a single actual hard reason behind this post... I'm sure you werent just sitting there wondering to yourself about it and decided to post a poll....

DeV.

Sorry Devore whats-IO(ireland Offline?).Was just wondering which post you were referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

or maybe hes just bored in work posting up contradictions in an effort to makes us all think.....

/me raises eyebrows and contemplates the meaning of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭papashiv0

The guy was just trying to voice his opinion. I'm new to boards granted, but I thought that was the whole point of this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by papashiv0
    The guy was just trying to voice his opinion. I'm new to boards granted, but I thought that was the whole point of this service.

Uhoh. Yes it's the whole point of the service, but read through the points in this thread and you'll see why moderation of content is necessary, and therefore why he was talked down. Also some of the past threads on this Admin forum will give you some insight on rules here. Each forum has a different type of etiquette. Telling someone to STFU for example may go in one forum, or if said by a certain member or in a certain tone, but other forum leaders will remove/edit the post, if it's inappropriate. TBH, it's easier to delete bad posts rather than carefully edit them. ;)

Yes we like to voice our opinions here too, but most forums have rules posted at the top. Read them before posting. Other than that you will be normally be given a gentle reminder when you posts go off topic or are unsuitable. Persistant ignorance of these reminders is what gets people flamed. Many people have opted to read threads and get a 'feel' for how the forum is run before posting. It's up to you.

richie has gotten off very lightly here, mainly because he's been civil(ish) and articulate. Normally pointless criticism based on how the boards are run isn't taken too well, unless it comes from someone who's well known and/or it contains some suggestions as well as criticism.

:)

I had read the posts and I’d prefer not to be patronised thanks very much, but despite that your advice was quite helpful.

/me pats papashiv0 on the head.

There's a good newbie.

Way to make a newbie feel welcome. Thanks I REALLY appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Amp dos'nt actully class as human, the rules dont apply to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dobdobdo

richie18 asks the question "Are these boards getting boring!!!" which was probably a poor choice of words? But he starts his thread with
    Now before anyone gets on their high horse I m not trying to stir anything up.

he then continues with fairly harmless opinions yet after papashiv0 mentions that he agrees with richie18 it's seamus "lets put him his place"
    Originally by seamus
    richie has gotten off very lightly here, mainly because he's been civil(ish) and articulate.

Thats so good of you seamus.

Q Amp
    /me pats papashiv0 on the head.

There's a good newbie.

Thats so good of you Amp.

BORING NO BUT .....?

I dont think seamus is being patronising at all, I think that was a very concise explanation. The oldtimers here defend boards rather aggressively and have been known to savage people badly who just come here and complain that they had posts deleted or werent allowed to spam "I R TEH LEET!" repeatedly on a board.

This has been a warm and fluffy after-dinner conversation by comparison.

And papashiv0, dont worry about Amp, he's kinda like the site mascot or pet or something. Welcome to Boards.ie

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    The oldtimers here ... have been known to savage people badly who ... spam

Who could you be talking about? ;)

The oldtimers here defend boards rather aggressively.

i remember when all this were just unused webspace.

Does anyone remember that guy who was going to write a book about us being really unfriendly.... he was on Admin claiming he was going to make some huge announcement etc
    Some book about online communities...

Must search for it, it was class. I was getting a lot of threatening mail at the time from my stalker (yes I have one, everyone should have one, they are fun).... and over reacted on him...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

(yes I have one, everyone should have one, they are fun)
    not when its Mr. Applepie! - scarey little man :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Close the boards Tom, look what you are attracting for fúck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

The Book thread

.logic.

• Advertisement

Ah Devore I see you have mentioned my book"The Mods are Watching"Its a gripping read.About this user of a web board (we`ll use Robbie18 to hide his real identity)who was always complaining about deleted posts etc.,who went after the main man of these boards(Call him DaWhore to hide HIS real identity).Anyway Robbie 18 stalks DaWhore and the story takes twist after scary twist while the two become entwined in a battle for supremacy.Thats enough for now IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE BUY THE BOOK.
    By the way Devore overreacting-never,Im in shock.

Based on a true story,Any characters used bear no resemblance to real people.This story has been fictionalised to a certain extent.
    Copy right Richie18 2002.

Wow meek mild mannered ritchie 18 whips off the rubber mask to reveal his true idendity.
    "Ah ha it was me all along" says he
    "all shall tremble at my diabolical l337ne55 "
    The world shrugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That book thread is comedy, almost as good as the Naz ha><or one.

Ah Devore I see you have mentioned my book"The Mods are Watching"Its a gripping read.About this user of a web board (we`ll use Robbie18 to hide his real identity)who was always complaining about deleted posts etc.,who went after the main man of these boards(Call him DaWhore to hide HIS real identity).Anyway Robbie 18 stalks DaWhore and the story takes twist after scary twist while the two become entwined in a battle for supremacy.Thats enough for now IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE BUY THE BOOK.
    By the way Devore overreacting-never,Im in shock.

Based on a true story,Any characters used bear no resemblance to real people.This story has been fictionalised to a certain extent.
    Copy right Richie18 2002.

and of course, anyone who over reacts to a few posts on a bullitan board somewhere in cyber land has definately got the world at his feet.

you keep on rockin' richie, keep on rockin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Does anyone remember that guy who was going to write a book about us being really unfriendly.... he was on Admin claiming he was going to make some huge announcement etc
    Some book about online communities...

Must search for it, it was class. I was getting a lot of threatening mail at the time from my stalker (yes I have one, everyone should have one, they are fun).... and over reacted on him...

DeV.

hehe that topic was great. where the hell was i for that. im disgusted. Anyway, to bring this completely off topic, I cant even remember waht the original topic even was... What happened to this stalker then.. go on tell us more.

Gav

• Advertisement

That book thread is so funny - havent laughed that much in ages.

Advertisement