Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New - Suggestion to Lobbying Group.

Options
  • 05-04-2002 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Have you seen the - Postcard campaign targetting Tony Blair Re:
    "Sellafield"

May I suggest that the IOFFL Lobbying Group consider using a similar type of campaign in relation to the Ireland OFFline objectives.

Something, along the lines of :-

Bertie, Look me in the eye and tell me I am not paying far too much for my "internet access" time online..?.

I notice that the "Sellafield" postcard has a "Postage Paid" no stamp required idea. I wonder if this was sponsored by " AN POST" and if it was, would they consider same for a Ireland OFFline objectives campaign.

People, only have too sign the pre - written postcard to Rt Hon Tony Blair MP, & An Post are also distributing the cards to every household in the Country. In my case they have put one through my letterbox for four consecutive days & as I recognise this technique thats used worldwide to get the message accross to the - General Public, being reminded four days in a row to simply sign and post a campaign card for a worthy campaign is a lobbying ploy that works.

So, Mr Bertie Ahern , Do not be blind to the need for a Unmetered flat rate internet access service for all at a "Fair affordable price".
    The risks are too great.

Please open up the telecomms marketplace to real competiton, for all our sakes.

I hope you will consider my suggestion.

Thank you.

Yours, paddy20:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im in a state of shock.... I agree with Paddy20 :)

This is actually not a bad idea once you solve the problems of cost. What i like about it is that it could be achieved on the black economy pretty easily. We are a community made up of pretty avid computer users, whats the bets theres people out there with the photoshop skills to knock up a fairly eyecatching and relevant postcard that would suit. The harder part is to find someone who could print them as a nixer, but surely this isnt beyond the realms of possibility.

Distribution might be a problem (i.e. how do members get thier hands on them), but maybe they could be handed out at the next a.g.m./seminar/event.

Looking at the response to the boards t-shirt designs, i reckon theres no problem in getting a designer. The Working Groups could provide content, something like:
    Catchy Slogan
    Shocking Fact

It fairly hinges on someone being able to print them for free though.. any takers?

Rather than mailing them to the government, they would probably be better served being mailed to the media and press to keep the name in the public eye. I doubt ministers read postcards they get, altho it is an election year and if they got enough.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yes, I too think Paddy20s idea has merit.

I don't know about a postcard but a letter or A4 poster of some sort with Stunning Shocking Sensationalist Statements !

There are plenty of statements that could be used. The membership working group and the research group are meant to be getting something together. Anyone know what the heads up on that is ?

You could do a shocking telecoms facts series.

I agree with you there Dustaz, the press needs to be kept reminded of IrelandOffline and they'll need to be fed something now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Shocked.

Bloody good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

so shocked I had to sit down in a dark room for twenny odd minutes..

good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

*bump*

Sorry I only saw this now. Shocked too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Message from paddy20,

While this thread is clearly directed at the - Lobbying Group.
    I would like too hear the reaction to the suggestion from other ordinary IOFFL members as well - Please.

And thank you very much to those who have stated that they think it is a "good idea".

Yours, paddy20 :)

I've sent this to the Lobbying Group and hope you'll have feedback on it soon.

Damien.

Originally posted by yellum
    I've sent this to the Lobbying Group and hope you'll have feedback on it soon.

Damien.

Very many thanks, yellum.

Much appreciated. I would still like too see more feedback from the other members whose opinions I feel should be aired be they pro or anti my suggestion & I feel that maybe the members of the Lobbying Group themselves might also agree. All shades of opinion or even more - suggestions - along the same line - please.

Thanks All.

Yours, paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Not sure if many of you are aware of the Motor Insurance Justice Action Group (MIJAG), but they are campaiging for more reasonably priced car insurance. Not really related, I know... :)

They have a website at:

http://www.mijag.com

It might be worth for somebody from the lobbying group to have a look at the way MIJAG are running their campaigns, just for ideas etc.

Yaaaah 100 posts!!

Excellent website. Everything they do is documented and put online. Thats the way it should be. *hint* *hint*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Yes I agree. I have been a member of MIJAG for over a year now and their organisation is excellent. They are even running a candidate for the general election in the Dublin West area and he is running on a single issue, car insurance !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Hint taken on board. :)
    We will be putting a new site live shortly. There is a lot to report on this week so I'd like to have that all documented for its launch also.

Query to Lobbying Group,

I am well aware of how busy you all are and have been recently, acting on behalf of all internet users and the need for a Unmetered flat rate internet access service, in fact you are so active I am getting dizzy just trying to keep up with the various meetings you are attending. Great work and I admire you all for for your voluntary efforts which must be gruelling and stressful too say the least.

However, I was just wondering re:- any feedback or "decisions" in relation to my suggestion?..

Or, do you feel "in your bones" that the type of lobbying suggested may - Not Now - be needed in view of the newly published Government "E- Ireland" plans and your ongoing meetings with various bodies.

I look forward to hearing, when you get the time- and in the meantime good luck to you all.

Yours, paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Why don't you try to get some businesses to sponsor the postcard to cover the cost...?

Just an idea. I don't know I'd love to see Paddy's plan get up and running - I agree with him for once ^_^ it's a good idea!

Noel, thats not a bad idea. Paddy20, what do you think of that ?

Noel, thats not a bad idea. Paddy20, what do you think of that ?

Absoulutely, I could not agree more , Yellum & NoelRock.

Do you think that maybe the Irish, Chambers of Commerce might give the working group a few potential leads/re sponsers to follow up!.

Make some calls and see. You have the power !

Yellum,

While I appreciate your confidence in my abilities.

Organisations, such as the:- Chambers of Commerce of Ireland. Would expect a campaigning organisation like Ireland OFFline to submit any requests of the type we have in mind. To be on official headed paper and addressed to their "Secretary" as a matter of professional courtesy.

Especially, when we are seeking a recommendation from them to potential sponsors of a major "Postcard" lobbying type campaign.
    A matter which needs to be treated with some delicacy/diplomacy.

Would you or anyone know, if Ireland OFFline have ever been in touch with the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland.!

Some research needs to be carried out before any - out of the blue - telephone type approach from me, would I believe be deemed appropriate.

Do you agree!.

Paddy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cpl. Hicks

if u go 2 the government homepage
    Gov home here...

they give e-mails where u can contact ur td...

every1 send an e-mail once a day 2 them...

they cant ignore us forever...

a few things though
    1. NO BAD LANGUAGE:rolleyes:
    2. BE POLITE:D
    3. state ur self calmly and concisely;)
    4. [Client Disconnect at 127.0.0.1:27015]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm sure your intentions are honourable Cpl. but please dont send multiple e-mails to TD's-

If you have a point to make follow the guidlines you have given and wait for correspondence in due course. A sure fire way of getting ignored is to spam your public representative with e-mails and hence be ignored.

It would be innaproprite to abuse the medium of e-mail we have with our public reps. so can you bear that in mind please :)

David / 80p.

• Advertisement

Paddy...power...hehehe (get it?)

Anyway, let us know how it goes Paddy - I'm sure we're all eager to find out :D

If you need any help, feel free to PM me - I'm sure others would be willing to help out too in whatever way possible.

Originally posted by NoelRock

Paddy...power...hehehe (get it?)

Anyway, let us know how it goes Paddy - I'm sure we're all eager to find out :D

If you need any help, feel free to PM me - I'm sure others would be willing to help out too in whatever way possible.

Noel,

Why is it that I get the feeling. That someone is taking the - Micky - out of this Paddy!!...

Or have I lost the - Thread - of this conflab?.

Have you read my reply of earlier on today! -

And if so , do you agree with me ;)

Paddy:p

I (almost) wholeheartedly agree with you - before any approach is made - we need to have research.

No point ringing them with a "Ugh, um, petition involving postcards, internet access for all, ho hum, can I have money now?" type approach :P we need professionalism of the highest order of course, and that can be achieved with the right amount of work.

Oh, and the Paddy Power thing - I think that was just entirely unintentional...I just saw "Paddy - you have the power!" and thought it was amusing - but I'm a strange one and all ;)...

Noel & Yellum,

I prefer my - Paddy Power - out of a large bottle!!..

Back to subject in hand. Has Ireland OFFline got a group that could handle this research and drafting of appropriate letter?.

I would be very surprised if they do not. With all their experience.

This could be an interesting weekend. As I have a "Strange" premonition that current hidden agendas/events may well have bypassed the need for a Postcard campaign, and if so thats fine by me.

However, if nothing of any real significance is happening.

Then - The need for a "Postcard" type campaign is even more - "Pressing" - than I realised !.

A direct reply of an enlightening kind is I think now about - Due.

Yours, paddy20.;)

Yes, if adsl is rolled out in the forthcoming weeks - this postcard campaign is useless.

We'll hold on and see what happens.

(Hurrah - 100+ posts on IOFFL - finally!)

Noel,

More like - sitting in the wings waiting too pounce when needed!.

As I am not a Politico. When on earth is the election or has no definite date been set or announced yet?.

You see, If nothing of REAL significance is happening on the "Unmetered flat rate service at an - Affordable- realistic price front " issue. Then I am afraid I for one will not fall for a load of pre-election waffle. Action speaks volumes - lets have some NOW from Eircom.

Otherwise, the people will be given the opportunity to speak "BEFORE" the election by way of a postcard campaign , or a similar campaign/national survey with media/press help!!.

Any suggestions please, as that old monster called mental frustration is beginning to climb on my back again?.

Paddy:confused:

As far as I know Bertie is to call the election within the next week or so ^_^.

I agree - there is still no sign of flat rate - rather disappointing.

However, ADSL is coming, but at a rather exuberant price.

If - No News is good news - Then the prolonged silence from those "in the know"!.

Must surely mean that the news that we are all waiting FOR. Must be ruddy brilliant, but when are we going to hear it!.

Now, please exscuse me - while I have another Heart Attack!!.

Paddy:rolleyes:

Yellum,

Did you read my reply to you of yesterday!.

Re:- necessary working group research and appropriate letter from Ireland OFFline to the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland.

I hope my my reply was not taken as being dismissive of your helpful suggestions which I appreciate very much. My reply in no way should be construed to be anything other than my constructive opinion - which at times I am aware can come accross as curt or sharp, when it is not meant to be - but hey I never claimed to be perfect, only human and flawed, after all!!.

If you read my reply, what did you think & do you agree with my view - or not!.

Your views/suggestions would be appreciated at this end.

Paddy;)

• Advertisement

Paddy20,

I'll try to answer both posts now, but I'm just in the Lobbying group and don't know much about the other groups.

Has Ireland OFFline got a group that could handle this research and drafting of appropriate letter?.

Theres the research group which are snowed under with work, and theres the membership group which I think is meant to do letter writing campaigns and so on after getting fed the info from the research group.

The need for a "Postcard" type campaign is even more - "Pressing" - than I realised !.

I'll say it again: Its a good idea, it might work out well. I don't think the committee has the time at the moment to organise something like this. The committee isn't huge by any means and all of the members are paying for all the work they're doing out of their own pockets. This means travel expenses, phonecalls and everything else involved in the battle to bring about change in the Telco system (farce) in this country.

I think theres around 5 active members of the committee now. Not a lot really, and when you think about what they've been doing its been superhuman work.

Organisations, such as the:- Chambers of Commerce of Ireland. Would expect a campaigning organisation like Ireland OFFline to submit any requests of the type we have in mind. To be on official headed paper and addressed to their "Secretary" as a matter of professional courtesy.

I think the best solution now is a letter writing campign by all IrelandOffline members and contributors. I can supply to people a list of all TDs and those going for election. I have their names and addresses. There is no organising needed for his. Compare it to a postcard campaign where postcards need to be printed, sponsored, distributed to all members and then members sign and send them out.

I can provide facts and figures that can be used too.

Would you or anyone know, if Ireland OFFline have ever been in touch with the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland.!

Speaking got the CorkWan group which I'm a member of, we have made contact with someone from the Cork Chamber. Howard whos in charge of the Lobbying group has been in contact with the Irish Chamber and a few other chambers. I'm emailing Howard now and can hopefully provide a summary of who IrelandOffline have been talking to recently. Its a big list !

Some research needs to be carried out before any - out of the blue - telephone type approach from me, would I believe be deemed appropriate.

Yes, and I'll post up some facts in a while. If you want to gather your own facts I'd suggest going though the past few months of stuff on this forum. Theres tonnes of good info in it. You'll just need to filter it. :)

Advertisement