Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New - Suggestion to Lobbying Group.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yellum,

Good to hear from you.

Your letter writing campaign is certainly worthy of very serious consideration, but do not "forget" Mr & Mrs Joe Public ??. Who it appears may well be voting in an election - SHORTLY!.

The work being put in by Dangger and colleagues is astounding, and I believe the fact that they are having to dig in to their own pockets is a sad reflection on an organisational pitfall that far too many "Voluntary Orgs" fall in too. Did you know that most voluntary organisations are NOT taken seriously by most people, simply because "most" - fold within six months of formation - due mainly to a lack of "proper" funding. I did refer to the need for a "fighting fund" on this forum but as is usual when the word money is mentioned for a worthy cause like this one. People apparently would rather give the money too Eircom than contribute too the very group that could end up saving them a fortune?. No doubt that comment will probably get me lambasted once again.

However, as someone with over 30 years of experience in the "Voluntary sector" I am once again speaking from hard earned lessons as to what a thankless task running a worthy campaign can be?.

I am looking forward too setting eyes on the "LIST" of TDs and others who will be running for election, plus the facts and figures you refer to.

The Chambers of Commerce contacts/history of communications would be a great help to me.

Speak later, must rush in too a darkened room before I have another Coronary!.

Paddy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

http://www.corkWan.org/candidates2002.xls

Non-complete list of candidates going for election in Ireland in 2002. The file is a Microsoft Excel file. If you don't have excel, you don't have excel .....

If you have more to add to the list please do so. If there are amendments to be made, please do so. More info on the way.

Damien.

Taken from: http://www.anchor-net.com/fbi/index.htm

This is where Ireland stands in 2002

No available 'Flat-rate' Internet access for home or small business users.
    All home and small business users must pay 'by the minute', while across Europe, Asia and in the United States users pay an affordable 'fixed fee' of < €20 pm, and can spend as long on line as they wish.

No available Broadband, high-speed, Internet access
    [unless you pay a fortune for a dedicated Leased Line]
    Tens of millions of users and business in the US, Asia, UK and Europe now have affordable access to Broadband Internet access at speeds upward of 50 or more times the speed of the standard access here in Ireland. [UK: < ST£40pm // US:< $40 pm].
    Indeed IRAN now offers ADSL at at 2Mbps (that's >200 times faster than ordinary 56k modem users folks !), and 24/7 internet access for less that €40 per month ! (see news section)

No competition in the delivery of core telecommunications.
    Eircom are in complete control of the telephone exchanges and the Local Loop, the last stage of the telephone system from the local exchange to people's houses or businesses. This despite EU laws to the contrary.

The Government has stalled the introduction of an urgently needed Communications Bill for almost two years, because of Party Political concerns and because of concerns about Eircom share values. It is on the list for the Dail now, but in very unlikely to make it into law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Iran have broadband...

Ireland, a member of the EU, one of the wealthiest nations on Earth, the so-called tech capital of Europe, don't.

If I could swear on this forum...:rolleyes:

I think action needs to be taken, and soon.

Paddy20 mentioned public awareness. As I have mentioned before, getting petitions is a good way of creating public awareness.

Hand anyone you know a fact sheet on internet access, then get them to sign a petition asking for flat rate access and inexpensive broadband. Fill a sheet with 20 signatures and send it on to someone in IrelandOffline.

Who's up for that ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 exiztone2k

Hey,

How about if you managed to publish a few 1000 a4 sheets & scatter them around Ireland in busy shops and businesses (i.e tesco supermarks),
    the sheet could be slit into 2 parts
    the top part would be the main facts on why Ireland is definately not the e-hub of europe
    and at the bottom, a type of slip you can tear off sign send off in your local post box and the post office would sort it so it arrives to... well whoever you want to send them to, on the same day ;)
    just an idea

Cheers
    - Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yellum,

Keep it coming, what with Richards mindblowing info combined with yours. Something is going to have to give way - looks as though my reading needs for this week-end are being taken care of.

Did someone mention "Public Petition" strange it has a very familiar ring about it. Anyone wondering why then see page 2 of this forum under thread "National Public Petition".

Recently, the national press - various titles - have run polls on topics of interest too their readers. I personally can not think of a faster more effective way of:-

1, Informing the Public on the issue.

2, Getting them to fill in their choice between,

A: A flat Rate internet access 56K basic service Unmetered at a fair/affordable price fixed monthly rate, or

B: A Superfast internet highway DSL service which would cost a lot more than the above but for which their is a high demand from those who could afford it.

Am I making any sense when I ask now on a "public forum" is their a "National Newspaper" in Ireland??. Who cares enough about the "Irish People" their readership. To volunteer to run this type of poll "FREE OF CHARGE" for and on behalf of Ireland OFFlines magnificent work and the needs of the "ordinary" people and economic interest of Ireland.

Editors and Press barons - I eagerly await a response - Do not let me down.

Yours, paddy20,:)

Advertisement