Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mathematical Science

• 05-04-2002 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

<sixth years infiltrate again>
    Anyway, I've applied on CAO to mathematical science in UCD, can anybody tell me stuff about the course? Ditto other colleges, ie. MS in DCU, pure maths or theoretical physics in trinity, theoretical physics in UCD, etc, etc, etc.
    Also, mechanical engineering if anybody's doing that.
    Thanx a bunch!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Ciaran

There's a lot of lectures in 1st year. You do Physics (fairly similar to LC), Chemistry (not all that similar to LC), Mechanics (identical to LC Applied Maths), drawing (fairly easy but a pain in the ass), maths (really easy), computer science, fluid mechanics (easy if you study it for more than 1 day unlike me), electrical/electronics and probably a few other subjects. They aren't all the same as when I was in 1st year (3 years ago :eek: ) but most of them have been made easier as far as I heard.

After 1st year you get more proper engineering subjects (Materials (Zzz), Manufacturing (not too bad), thermodynamics (interesting but fairly hard), stuff on engines, heat exchangers, ...).

There are lots of labs in 1st - 3rd year as well (1st year Chemistry labs were the worst:( ).

It's a lot of work but if you're interested, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

in ucc , the course has changed recently so i can't really comment on it. but as for the dept of mathematics , its 2nd to none , its nice friendly and normally most lecturers are actually interested in how you are getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Firstly pablo, who are you I probably know you, I'm in 2nd Physics in UCC.

The course has divided into seperate modules, allowing a person to choose a straight maths/applied maths, physics, or chemistry degree. Originally it was an umbrella entry course called Chem/Math/Phys (in short anyways).

My advice would be to take straight physics if you want a science degree with alot of math, a joint physics-maths degree for even more maths, or a chemistry degree for less maths.

I agree with pablo that the maths dept. is excellent, although i'd say the same of the applied math and physics dept. Loyalties die hard! ;)

Advertisement