Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bands that all sound the same

Options
  • 06-04-2002 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

has anyone else noticed that in the last few years a lot of Irish bands including some very new bands all sound very acoustic?
    or just don't rock - some of which have five or six members and don't even make the noise of a good three piece rock band.

I know there are some great rock bands around but for every TURN there are a dozen other bands that all fit very well together.

brando, sonora, melaton......and many more

it is all a bit booring and all seem to be doing a serious song writer thing. booring

Dave kitt
    damine rice
    josh ritter (outlander but the same bob dylan thing)

what is happening

bring on more TURN

the only band I have seen in Dublin in the last two years that really rock and have good songs - so what if they dress like the jam, they rock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

uh oh!

here comes the contoversy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

First off I am not sure I would site Turn as the greatest thing around, theyare fine, nothing against them and they do indeed dress like the Jam but I quite like The Jam

Second I really like all that acousticy stuff so it dosent seem like that big a problem - especially when well crafted - there are a handful of these singer-sonwritery bands some of them are brilliant. I have my personal favorites

Thirdly - I love BIG sounding rock bands - of which there are some but never enough - again I have my personal favorites

Fourth - If you poke around there really is a good bit of variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 matilda

ok then,

why don't we make a list of really good bands

1. TURN
    2.?

for me the only real talent I have seen in a while

TURN
    GEMMA HAYES

THAT IS IT I'M AFRIAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

then matilda go look at

the redneck manifesto
    johnny pyro
    the jimmy cake
    empire
    the connect 4 orchestra
    joan Of Arse

etc..

TURN SUCK COCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

Not wishing to enter into any sort of good band/bad band debate but whilst TURN are an excellent band when they slow it down and go into bleeding heart mode? Maaaan are they boring..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

check us out matilda, we rock!

www.mp3.com/skyjack

www.skyjackmusic.com

we're supporting superskin in the tbmc on april 17th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

well, i gotta say i love turn...never seen them play a bad show...

damien rice...think he's great too...

as for other good bands around...

just look at the lineup for the bankholidaymonday6thmay gig...

the frames/damien rice/mundy/bell x1/liftTOexperience...

and how can we forget the revs....there's a band that sux!!!

david kitt...saw him a while back...is he still using a mini disc for drumming or has he got a drummer/band???? the coolest thing about david kitt is the lil bro kitt...

josh ritter...listened to the new album...did nothing for me...

Kurdt:knockedout:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

i think someone needs to learn the difference between 'music' and 'noise'.
    just because a band dont 'rock' or 'kick ass' or any other beavis & butthead term you use, doesnt mean they are bollox.
    or boring.
    there is life after staind ye know....

probably...
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

If you're looking for kickass Matilda, then you'd better check SPEEDMAN out
    www.speedman.ie
    or come to our gig next wednesday night (see posting below)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

David Kitt and Damien Rice sound the same? You'd not confuse the 2, their vocal styles are way different for a start.

NPB and Large Mound both rock

• Advertisement

sorry guys but I have seen all the above suggested bands and they din't do it for me!

skyjack, no offence but flash equipment and cordless mics don't make a band. good songs do.

I am sure lots of people love what you do but then look at the american charts - it's full of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Umm Josh Ritter is American anyway not Irish.

Also you can't give out about the type of music a band play. If people want to play acoutic stuff and are good at it and get a solid following of fans who love it then why should they rock. The main reason there is probably so many of them is that the initial few gained such a devoted following that any friends or support acts of theirs became popular by these fans also. The Frames are probably responsible for a large section of them.

Thirdly, I'm sure there's plenty of up and coming rock bands around Dublin, I defintly know of some good lo-fi ones. Mebbe they just need to develop a solid fan base aswell

ALB OR IS IT ABBA

Anyway, if you could read you would see that next to Josh Ritter
    it says (outlander) ba dah!

Originally posted by matilda
    ALB OR IS IT ABBA

Eh .... abba?

fair enough matilda, you dont like what we do, but there's no need to attack our songwriting ability, as we do work really hard on our compositions in an effort to create something new, sure we're heavy sometimes and bands that sound like us are all over the american charts, but we dont sit ourselves down in a rehearsal room and go, "oooo staind are big now, lets write a song like theirs" we're an irish (and partly french) band, but what pisses me off most is that to be an irish rock band you have to have that distinct irish "sound" (its hard to describe that in words....i'm sure a lot of you know what i mean, eemmmm an example would be jj72, i think they're ****ing clown shoes......) i and my fellow bandmates dont wish to sound like that, its just that our collective influences make us sound the way we do, and i love it, I'm kinda glad that most irish rock sounds the same, it helps us sound more unique....and the jibe about flash gear, have you a problem about us trying to sound the best we can be? I'm sorry but if i went to see a band who made no effort to perform and sound 100% i'd feel a little jipped, its been our work ethic to sound professional from day one, in the hope that it may actually become our profession.

we may have flash gear but we write damn good songs too,

but then you cant please all of the people all of the time...

and i like turn by the way, they should be a lot bigger by now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

turn are another one of those bands that are good when theyre goos and horrid when theyre bad, but i havent found much of their stuff to be horrid
    i find that music comes in trends for the past few years, i dont know, maybe it was because i was immersed in music or exploring my tastes but a few years back their seemed to be more diversity in types of music, and more diversity in people's taste in music, it was easy to find somehitng that you liked
    not i find that in not just ireland, but particularly in america, a band will come out that people like and suddenly many clone bands are coming out. i hated blink 182 when they came out and i still hate them and all the clones that came back. now its bands like papa roach, staind, linkin park, creed...when i first heard staind i quite liked them, and i still do, but its been slightly ruined by the many bands doing similar sounding music.
    but even thought i dont like it, its not up to me to (seriously)give out about people who do, or think my taste in music is superior just because ts my taste. on saying that if someone makes a false claim im all for jumping in their and ripping them to shreds
    sorry
    i dont know wherethat big seirous post came from

i gotta ask....who are creed a clone of??

its certainly not staind, linkin park or papa roach...

they sound nothing alike...creed have been around longer than papa roach/linkin park/staind...where is creeds dj??

if eddie vedder ever dies, p.j. can just nick creeds singer, nuff said

ooh, sorry i didnt mean creed..i meant p.o.d. i think
    or whose that band who are ALWAYS on mtv with that older than most lead singer with the blondish curly hair and beard?
    i dont know much of creed's music but what i have heard i like

• Advertisement

Originally posted by 120_Minutes
    if eddie vedder ever dies, p.j. can just nick creeds singer, nuff said

Why would ed ever die, he's immortal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

on a pearl jam vibe, eh that band label are doin there best to sound like then.
    melaton = jeff buckley / thom yorke
    wilt = foo fighters
    the frames = pixies
    paddy casey = my arse after a disturbingly powerfull curry

Originally posted by bandit
    on a pearl jam vibe, eh that band label are doin there best to sound like then.
    melaton = jeff buckley / thom yorke
    wilt = foo fighters
    the frames = pixies
    paddy casey = my arse after a disturbingly powerfull curry

ROFL the frames = the pixies??? that's just ridiculous, I don't remember any folk songs on the pixies albums nor a violinist for that matter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Minerva

another love song was rippin off the pixies...but then hansard would be the first to say that.
    sean..that creed punter is no eddie vedder. but im sure he'd cream his bags if asked to sing with PJ...

in my opinion ****in nickelback,pod,creed,lost prophets all those ****s should be slaughtered at bovine university.
    theyre all a big bag of b o l l o x !

i prefer the phrase bunch of arse
    aw bandit id give u loads of hassle about lsagging paddy only i quite enjoyed what u said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Minerva
    another love song was rippin off the pixies...but then hansard would be the first to say that.

in my opinion ****in nickelback,pod,creed,lost prophets all those ****s should be slaughtered at bovine university.
    theyre all a big bag of b o l l o x !

but the frames have moved so so far beyond "another love song". That is an unexptional album the rest i/m/o are fantatstic.

so true but they are not the worst of the worst they simply represent the triumph of mediocrity in the music world. Really its true as much as I hate those bands there are far worse (ok not POD they are bottomfeeders) Stapp makes my skin crawl but if you take him and those dreadful lyrics out musically Creed are OK and Nickleback are just boring.

anyway fair play to all the irish and other bands out there keeping things interesting despite the cruddy commercial stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

No matter what people do in bands someone doesn't like. And I think that some Irish people (That's some not all) have a thing for putting down Irish bands. But hey that's life here if ya wanna play ya have to live with it.

another singer that's like vedder and stapp is yer man from crash test dummies...Brad Roberts...

mmm mmm mmm mmm

still vedder is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I actually like Lost Prophets and POD, dunno they both have a different kind of sound, prophets kind of have a lowfi tech sound behind the guitars and POD have a real laid back mellow rock thing going on.

Bomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i must say i hate all that cack... pod, lost prophets, creed, nickelback

heres an interesting fact, nickelbacks song thats out at the mo is the biggest played usa hit (on radio) ever!

still sh*te though

Advertisement