Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bands that all sound the same

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

THE REDNECK MANIFESTO!-THERE'RE A CLASS ACT!!!

BUT A DIFFERENT TOPIC NOW I THINK ONCE YOU'VE BOUGHT A BLINK 182 ALBUM YOU'VE HEARD THEM ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 matilda

there you go

oh! skyjack, I saw you at a gig a while back and nop

for me you don't have good songs - I'm sure you think you do

as most bands do!

anyway - best of luck with it. A lot of people make it without songs and at least you believe in what you are doing and you have flash gear -

mati

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

aww you po' po' people. even though it is, in my opinion the best station in dublin, there is a world....outside, of PHANTOM! theres so many great jazz, trad, singersongwriters, heavy bands that are not played and not advertised on phantom whom play in dublin and its really sad that you cannot see out of this box, matilda: sweeping statement me thinks, "all" of these bands in dublin, are not all of the bands in dublin. and stop whining, get over it. one final statement, i think, you sound like you don't know what your talking about fully when it comes to music, so skyjack etc: i wouldnt give that comment the steam off my piss if i were you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

some people just enjoy being nasty I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I saw Skyjack and Brando on Paddy's day.....and Skyjack wiped the floor with Brando, same ol' same ol' from Brando the best thing about them was the lolli-pops and it wsnt even them giving them out!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Yes that Irish scene is dead.

Lets face it , you can't really get a break or airplay in this country unless your a standard (boring) '3-4 piece rock band' with a bland voiced singer and clanging guitars.

Judging by the amount of crap appearing around town these days it's clear U2 have a lot to answer for but at least they (wrinkly old rockers that they are) have moved on. Pity the radio stations and venue bookers haven't!

The only alternative is this awful nu-folk (spearheaded by guys like David Kitt and Paddy Casey) and if I ever meet David Gray I will personally kill him for unleashing 10,000 protest singers onto this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

UHG I hate this thread but I get so pissed

exactly what do you want? David Grey and David Kitt are quality if not to you taste fine but they dont define the entire music production of Ireland by any count. 4 piece guitar based bands is pretty much what rock is, within that there is alot of potential for variety. Criticizing a music scene for having rock bands with 4 members and guitars is like criticizing dancers for having feet (ill leave out the bland and clanging as that is subjective and innacurate)

here's what Dublin has.

Artists who make an effort to collaborate and work together. i/m/o a stunning amount of talent. A radiosation (Phantom) that at least makes an effort to play and promote local music, at least some local press. Several organizations dedicated to promotion local artists including Thumped, Gigsmart, etc (complain as you want about the bands in these organizations the fact that they exist is a good thing and they are not genre-specific), Granted there are shortcomings but at least there is awareness and an effort to make things better. There is always some monotony but within that there are plenty of gems.

There are enormous anti-creative forces in the music industry effecting music-scenes everywhere, Dublin at least seems to be taking a stand against that. NYC for example a city far larger than Dublin that acts as a talent magnet has a patetic level of participation in the music scene, crappy clubs with bad sounds and seemingly antagonistic booking policies and more bands influenced by Blink182 or the Indigo Girls than is bearable along with endless White Boy Blues bands - still there are quality artists if you look. LA, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, London, Manchester, Paris??? What is your example of somewhere that is better? You complain about what there is but you dont say what you want. Just because the music scene does not cater to your specific taste does not mean it is dead.

I see alot of music, I see alot of great bands toil away in obscurity while dreadful acts gain a huge draw, I also know that not every band can please everybody but dismissing an entire nations music production seems a bit short sighted The radioplay and booking will follow the fans - a music scene is as much about people getting out there and supporting the artists that they like as anything, good music is not going to find you it is your job to go out and seek what you like. Personally I am looking foward to making it back to Dublin this summer partly on the basis of music (family and friends etc also a draw)

and pigman after dismissing the entire dublin music scene I see you are posting in support of The Strokes and THe White Stripes - talk about bland voiced singers and dull clangy music ohh the wonders of nu-garage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Wow! Thanks for that little rant!

And just to clarify for you whilst I do detest Paddy Casey and his like I have nothing against 'generic' rock music that you champion so much. I am just annoyed that there is obviously a complete bias towards it when it comes to what gets played in the larger local venues in the Dublin area.

Hense as I go to gigs every week I am caught in an avalanche band after band trying to be the next Coldplay or the next David Gray or whatever college rock sh1te is selling at the moment.

Fair enough, the Strokes are complete retro rip-offs and White Stripes are nothing new either but AT LEAST they don’t sound exactly like everything else coming out of these island over the last few years and that’s exactly what I want the Irish scene to be about. Diverse music (retro or otherwise) should get a chance instead of 50% Starsailor clones, %50% Folk-Hero wannabe’s and nothing else for those of us who don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scotsman

Hi ther Matilda

You've forgot about 'THE CRAYONZ' man!!

THE most original band it DUb-land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i quite liked the david gray and paddy casey albums, there were a few little gems on those albums.
    i have to say i havent seen many people out there copying their act...im not saying theres not though, but none that i knwo of really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

yes, turn can get boring. i have a quite diverse taste in rock music (if that makes sense) so i appreciate lots of bands from brando to skyjack to lostprophets. just i don't like creed and all that.

Advertisement