Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Companies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

There is nothing more annoying than having put in all your details only to at the end of it all be told thy can't offer a quote and to call them!!!!! :mad:

This is for a 24 yo with a full licence. They really are taking the piss. All I want it a quote for a 1.8 honda accord, not a bentley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

toad wrote:
    There is nothing more annoying than having put in all your details only to at the end of it all be told thy can't offer a quote and to call them!!!!! :mad:

This is for a 24 yo with a full licence. They really are taking the piss. All I want it a quote for a 1.8 honda accord, not a bentley!
    Yes i know, ridiculous. I get it with cars as small as Civics :confused:
    22 full license for 2 yrs (and male)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 toad

jozi wrote:
    Yes i know, ridiculous. I get it with cars as small as Civics :confused:
    22 full license for 2 yrs (and male)

If they even smell a VTEC they slap an extra 800 on the premium. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

That's because they got wind of the simple €30 k&n induck'sion mod which adds an instant 72bhp to a 1.3dx when coupled with the teg type-R v-tech controller on civix, according to crsuieirl.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'd wouldnt dare try get a quote for anything vtec, assuming the normal injection doesnt have vtec which is what i couldnt even get a quote for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I just got my renewal quote for Hibernian. (€1348). I got a quote from Quinn Direct at €920, third party fire and theft, 1 year NCB, 24 years of age...

What are Quinn Direct like? Can anyone recommend them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Baldie wrote:
    What are Quinn Direct like? Can anyone recommend them?
    I know this is a real "I know a bloke" story but my mate's sister works for them as an assesor. He says she says that they're the "Ryanair of motor insurance", ie., they're often cheaper when they're taking your premium but if you need to make a claim on the policy they are very underhand at getting out of coughing up. They have been slated repeatedly on this board, make of all this what you will. I think I'd be wary of them though. Try FBD-you might be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Am I right in saying that your insurance company must supply you with your renewal notice at least 21 days before your insurance is due for renewal.

I dont think they have an online quoting service but a few mates have said that they got a great deal here on both their car and house insurance. You may have to ring them but it could be worth it. http://www.henrykee.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

May be true as I got mine today and it expires on 5 Sept. I wondered too how much negotiation can be done over the phone on the cash they are looking for. 800 euros they are quoting me and I have priced about for a different quote. I am getting much the same everywhere but can I save myself a few notes by phoning up and saying I am going elsewhere or is this being a bit tight? Answers on a postcard please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

chance ur arm, sound all surprised when they tell you ur quote and say youv been quoted much cheaper and theyll look again and might come back witha cheaper one, it has been known that ths happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Yes I heard that and thought I would give it a whirl then a girl at work did it and the guy she spoke to said thats fine take the other quote!! I have three years with them and would expect that they would try for the sake for a few quid. How many quid though :eek:

can I save myself a few notes by phoning up and saying I am going elsewhere:D

I have heard of this working a number of times.

I was insured with PMPA for a long time and I never thought you could "negotiate" with the company but an ex PMPA employee told me that I should contact them and tell them that I could get the same cover elsewhere for less money.

I done this and they dropped my premium by about 12%. The annoying part was the number of years I had been paying the higher premium without knowing I could get a discount.

I would suggest "negotiating" with them after you get your renewal out as they would be thinking you have got other quotes and if you are a good customer I think they would like to hold on to you even if it means giving a good discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

www.tesco.ie - underwitten by hibernian so the same t's and c's apply, but they sure is cheap - you can choose to take €50.00off your premium or........wait for it........ a €50.00 shopping voucher! (hmmmm....let me think...) They quoted me €650.00 tpf&t for my first policy on 1.4ltr rover 200 just passed my test (but i had to do the ignition)

Just got a quote from Tesco for insurance - €300 more than my present insurer FBD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

I just got a quote online from Quinn:

4 years NCD
    25 Years old
    4 years full licence
    clean driving history
    98 Toyota Celica GT

€868.67 Comp
    €653.73 T.P.F. & T

Hibernian are looking for an extra €800 on top of my €664. Bull****!!!

Unfortuately I've paid €664 for the year until June 2006. Is there anyway of cancelling & getting a refund?

Quinn-direct seem like a good bet, must just check their terms & conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ok, just thought I'd post real quick and see if anyone has experience with this(I'm sure your younger brothers or something are looking to drive)...

Are there any companies that would insure me, and for relatively cheap? My brother's probably gonna give me his car whenever he gets a new one.

17 year old male
    Provisional drivers licence
    Opel Corsa (1.2 litre engine, I think)

I know it's a long shot, but surely somebody wants me reckless ass's money! :D

(BTW, if any more details are needed, just ask... I'm new to the whole car/insurance game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

DaveMcG wrote:
    Ok, just thought I'd post real quick and see if anyone has experience with this(I'm sure your younger brothers or something are looking to drive)...

Are there any companies that would insure me, and for relatively cheap? My brother's probably gonna give me his car whenever he gets a new one.

17 year old male
    Provisional drivers licence
    Opel Corsa (1.2 litre engine, I think)

I know it's a long shot, but surely somebody wants me reckless ass's money! :D

(BTW, if any more details are needed, just ask... I'm new to the whole car/insurance game)

I'd try Quinn Direct. Also, enquire about the Hibernian Ignition course. Otherwise, go the named diver route. All the breast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

€4,800 on the Corsa :p I think I'll pass! It goes down to about €3,300 if I have a full licence, though. I'm gonna book a test today, methinks. Thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

So far I can only find Quinn Direct and Admiral that will quote in the north for insurance. Has anyone come across any other companies that do it?

Churchill Insurance quote for the north - not too sure of the number though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Ann Elk wrote:
    www.tesco.ie - underwitten by hibernian so the same t's and c's apply, but they sure is cheap - you can choose to take €50.00off your premium or........wait for it........ a €50.00 shopping voucher! (hmmmm....let me think...) They quoted me €650.00 tpf&t for my first policy on 1.4ltr rover 200 just passed my test (but i had to do the ignition)

I just got a quote from Tesco.ie. Not to impressed. I'm currently paying €1000 TPF&T with Quinn Direct for a '01 1.9TDI SEAT Leon (90), I'm 24, 3 years no claims, full licence....
    ....and they quote me a whopping €2488.96 fully comp and €2290.41 tpf&t...

Absolutely nuts!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I just got a quote for a 94D Honda Civic 1.3l from Quinn Direct for €2,034

i've a provisional license for under a year and im 23 so I dont think thats too bad (still a rip off though)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

http://www.brittoninsurance.com

Based in Donegal, reasonable quotes

not really that reasonable they quoted me €200 more than Quinn Direct and when I selected a voluntary excess of €1,000 that didnt bring my quote down by even €1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Is it true that if i get insured on a 1lt ford fiest 3rd party with Hibernian I'm allowed and insured to "drive other cars"....namely say a 3lt BMW M3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crashed1

Quinn Direct caused me a lot of problems. Forget the "we'll look after you " stuff. You meet a totally different animal when you are involved in a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

so whats the story with bending the rules a bit?

like saying on the application thing that you have a full licence since 01' when you havn't. and then saying you have 3 years no claims.

I did that and i got a quote of 1100 on a site....

Can this be checked? or do they bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

so whats the story with bending the rules a bit?

like saying on the application thing that you have a full licence since 01' when you havn't. and then saying you have 3 years no claims.

I did that and i got a quote of 1100 on a site....

Can this be checked? or do they bother?

Yes it can be checked out. An insurance policy is a legal document. Any sort of claim and the insurance company will look for an out. Once it finds anything awry then it cancels the policy and you are/were driving without insurance and have had an accident!

exactly, they'll ask for a copy of your license you send it to em and your policy will be null and void quicker than you could say SNOT

in my case though because I bought my car in a private sale im about 90% sure i can get away with lyin about the value of the car

Ok i now have a quote of 1800 euro... 24 with a provisional, no no claims bonus. No ignition test required.

what did you do to bring the quote down

• Advertisement

I went onto Brittoninsurance.ie.. Went through the online quoting system, and they said we can;t quote you, but someone will e-mail you wil a quote, and it was 1350.. providing i did the ignition test. so i told them to send on the paper work, which uncluded a quote without the ignition test.. so it's 1830 euro... 500 cheaper then quinn-direct, and 730 cheaper then Axa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm with Asgard? through First Ireland.
    Never heard of them before, seem to have something to do with Llyods.
    Paying €2500 on a 97 1L Polo, 23, 0 NCB, Prov Licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Anyone know if Britton let you pay insurance by the month?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Has anyone here taken out insurance with britton? I got an online quote of 1404 for a 96 1.1 fiat punto off them and got an email from them knocking another fifty quid off. I've only got a provisional, 23, no named driver experience and no no claims bonus. So 1360 seems really good. Quinn direct quoted me over 2000 for same. What have peoples experiences been like with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I'm fairly sure you can pay them monthly by direct debit. They gave it as a payment option in their email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭thelurcher

DON'T GO WITH QUINN DIRECT JUST TO SAVE A FEW HUNDRED EURO.
    Even if money is tight right now it'll be a lot tighter if you ever have an accident with them.

The fact that they knacker your NCB after your car is stolen doesn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

anyone got any good recomendations for a 17year old male,for insurance? I got a few quotes and the lowest was in the region of 4,800 euro.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

anyone got any good recomendations for a 17year old male,for insurance? I got a few quotes and the lowest was in the region of 4,800 euro.
    Cheers

Im also lookin.
    Male
    Wicklow within 25miles
    Any 1L car

i tried with a nissan micra on britton TPFT. I got 2981euro.......still lookin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

hi guys...

looking for a company in ireland that would insure my uk reg fiat punto (1995 55s). was told quinn direct is the only 1 that would do it. anybody know any other companies??

would it be cheaper to just change the reg to irish reg? don't really want to since the value of the car would be like e1000 + the hassle of nct etc etc....

any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I got a great deal through Britton insurance Brokers in Donegal.

Britton Insurance - €1483
    Best Quote - €1658 (this was reviewed after speaking to them, my first quote was €2453)
    Axa - €2247 (this was my renewal quote after a year of insurance with them driving with a tracksure device beeping at me everytime I went over 35kmph!!!)

I am a 24 Year old male driver on my second provisional with 1 year no claims bonus after driving 1 year with a Tracksure thing from AXA (which was a complete pain in the bum, couldnt switch my insurance to any other car, and when I traded cars during the year I had to pay for the beeper thingy to be switched from one car to the other.) Im looking forward to next years isurance, 25 with full licence please god. I may be able to finally go over a 1.2 litre engine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I just got a quote from wort....sorry, best quote.
    E6155 for a 99 1.4 golf CL worth 6k 3rd Party F&T

details are
    19 male
    living in offaly
    used in dublin
    garda
    provisional licence
    No NCB,Never Insured.

With Quinn direct i got a quote of E2370
    And if i get a letter saying I've done 25 lessons (;) :D ) it drops too E1800
    Ive still to ring quoteline and britton and compare quote.
    The woman in hibernian told me i should try quinn,thats how bad THEY are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭trivium

AXA quoted me 3,500 for a 1.1 Saxo,i rang Arran insurance brokers and they got me 2,500 with AXA,they got special broker rates supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

have been looking around for quotes for the past month and they seem to be the cheapest for a driver starting out
    Britton Insurance is pleased to offer a Premium of €1,953.63 (Policy Excess: N/A ) thats for a 1.3, 4 door, 1999 Hyundai accent got a quote of €1700 for a 1.1 polo so there reasonable enough!

Thats on a driver age: 23
    ncb: 0
    provisional licence less than a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I must give britton a ring tomorrow as they dont have the car listed. Do you reckon i would be better waiting until i turn 21 for a bigger discount in feb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dragonfly

The page wasn't found when I clicked on the link. What sub ehading do I need to get to the info about EU insuarnce companies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Man, these provisional driving licence quotes are unbelievably expensive.

I have:

- 0 Years NCB
    - 0 Years Experience
    - 1 Years Named Experience
    - Full Licence < 1 year

Insurance on a 1.6BMW : €1,245

It's nearly worth during the full driving licence 10 times for the amount of insurance costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billabong

22 male
    1st provisional
    0 experience ever driving a car, ever!:eek:
    Mazda 323 1.5 glx coupe
    3rd party f&t 2100
    fully comp 2500
    with my new full licence 3rd party f&t came down to 1300,
    I must re-enphasize I had never driven a car before in my life.

Now for my bitch, hopefully it will make you all feel a little better
    Bike - CBR 250rr
    Full licence
    1 year no claims bonus on Bros 400

3rd party with no f&t 2700:confused:

How the f**k ****** *** ** * ***** ** ****** ************* **** * *** *** does that make sense

I know the insurance companies blame it on provo drivers with pillion passengers and in particular on scumbag moped drivers. For this reason I am taking it upon myself to make good use of my inexperience as a car driver to take a few of them off the road:D :D ( ones without pillions of course). At least i'll get my monies worth out of the Irish insurance companies before jumping ship and getting off this isle.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Just renewed with AXA Broker
    Male 26
    2 yr NCB
    Full Clean Licence
    '97 BMW 316i Coupe

AXA quoted €1122 (down almost €600 from this time last year) initially, after a bit of shopping around Wrightway quoted me €1034, which AXA matched. Pleased enough considering my insurance was €4400 on my first BMW five years ago :eek:

This Wrightway crowd seem fairly good at gettin reasonable quotes, my missus is getting her first car this week, a 1.2 Corsa, and has only had her Provisional one week. And she's been quoted €920 for her first policy :rolleyes:

http://www.wrightway.ie/QuickQuote/quote.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Male 32 03 Alfa 156 1.8 sportevo full no claims
    Hibernian 680 euro

Wife 34 04 Alfa 147 1.6 sportevo three years no claims
    Hibernian 720 euro

Both full clean english licence

Thought these prices were ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

23 year old male
    provisional licence
    2 years no claims
    1.8litre Mazda 626

Quinn Direct renewal quote is €1580 tpf&t

Anyone think I can do better than this or should I just stick with them
    Also does anyone know how much they reimburse after getting a full licence?

Advertisement