Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Companies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

One direct is fairly good.
    I got third party fire and theft for 699
    full license < 1 year
    1 year no claims

Their original quote was 1014 but i got them down to 699 after getting better quotes from hibernian, fbd and tesco initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

23 year old male
    provisional licence
    2 years no claims
    1.8litre Mazda 626

Quinn Direct renewal quote is €1580 tpf&t

Anyone think I can do better than this or should I just stick with them
    Also does anyone know how much they reimburse after getting a full licence?

Hang on now, the monkey with a headset that I was talking to said they couldn't quote me on a 1.8 til I was over 25? (Volvo S40 btw, far from sporty, value approx 4000)

24yo male
    Full clean licence
    In my 2nd year of insurance with them, no claims.
    I won't be renewing, never have I known them to get something right without many phonecalls, or even be consistent from call to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Ok, couple of questions!
    I'm 22 passed my test one year ago-been driving 4 years my mums ford focus(open drive) and my dads BMW(also open drive company policy), so no company will recognise this as driving experience, thats fair enough. I'm getting my own car in a couple of weeks a 1L 1998 polo from my brother. I need a car for the summer working so taking this.
    I've gotten qoutes from all the mentioned above and britton seem to be the best, 1183 online but got an email with a 100euro off so 1083. Quinn was 1267euro.
    Now for my questions: With britton by paying monthly direct debit do they charge you extra..a form of interest on it?
    My other question is, if for some reason i need to sell on the car in september will the insurance company just refund me the money left on the policy i.e. 9/12ths of the premium or if i'm paying direct debit can i just stop paying?
    Also are britton good/reliable-what are they like paying out etc.?

Cheers,

Hk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You have to be named on both of these policies to actually drive the cars cos open drive only applies to people over 25 with full licences AFAIK. They should accept named driving experience from one of these.

I'm 19 driving on a 1.0 corsa with my mom. Both of us have full licence since feb and september of last year. Mom has 20 years driving experience

€1315 with Hibernian, no need for Ignition or any of that crap.

Have you thought of gettin your dad to insure the car as he doesn't have his own policy per se. (I'm presuming his company provides the insurance)

Should be cheaper and you'd get ur named driving experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭koolkat

I can't believe how much it pays to shop around! I 'm saving an average of 1000 yoyos by going with Quinn-Direct. I know there has been bad stuff said about them but in fairness that's a hell of a difference. And it does work to play one insurane company off another. My Dad had been with the same broker for years he shopped around a bit(went to one other broker) and got a quote for half of what he was currently paying. told his old broker and they matched it when he said he wouln't renew with them!!!! There is absolutely no consistency with insurance. I have the same driving experience as my friend, same size engine car(1.3) and they are off the same value yet she is paying 220 less than me and she lives in the centre of town car parked in driveway while i live outside town with car parked in garage!!! Like what's that about??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

driving a new mo-mo now 00D Alfa Romeo 146 Sportivo 1.6litre

24, male, provisional, €1,800 with Quinn Direct

will be the magic 25 next year, coupled with 1 year NCB (touch wood) brings it to €1,150 with AXA next year (hate quinn direct so i do)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

koolkat wrote:
    she is paying 220 less than me........Like what's that about??

cos she's a woman driver buddy thats why,

you know statistically women actually have more crashes than men, only difference is crashes involving males tend to be more expensive (hence the higer costs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭koolkat

I am a woman!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

My insurance was about €540 with QD last year, this year they're looking for €520. That's TPFT, no protection, glass breakage or anything on a 1.6 Honda VTEC. Just got a quote for fully comp, protected no claims and glass cover with the AA for €460! Not even going to give QD a chance to respond, took it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

miju wrote:
    driving a new mo-mo now 00D Alfa Romeo 146 Sportivo 1.6litre

24, male, provisional, €1,800 with Quinn Direct

will be the magic 25 next year, coupled with 1 year NCB (touch wood) brings it to €1,150 with AXA next year (hate quinn direct so i do)
    Seriously, how are people getting these quotes? I'm paying that amount on a 1.1 206, I'm 24 with a full licence.... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Sisters BF

19yrs suzuki baleno gsi 1.6 and only paying 1300-ish, i assume 3rd party but its on his own name.
    i'm paying 690 as named driver on a mazda demio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I was covicted of drink driving two years ago
    and am now looking to get back on the road again
    does anyone know of companys that deal with convicted
    drivers? Its been so so hard to get insured i know its my
    own fault and its the worst thing that i have ever done i hate
    been off the road so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 andrea2007

i AM WITH THEM AND THEY HAVE A NEW SITE CALLED WWW.AXAPLUS.IE, GIVES GREAT DISCOUNTS OFF ALL HOUSEHOLD NAMES- STENALINE,HARVEY NORMAN AND THEY HAVE A NEW FUEL CARD- GREAT BENEFITS.

THE EXCESS IS LOW COMPARED TO OTHERS AND AT LEAST THEY PAY OUT QUICKLY IF YOU MAKE A CLAIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

have to say Quinn Direct are great.

1 YR NCB
    Full Clean license 4 years

BMW 328i - €1340 (1/2 the price I was quoted by Hibernian)

I have been with Quinn Direct 2 years now. My premium started off at 2300 when I was 24. A few weeks before my insurance was up for renewal I went on their website to find out how much it would cost to renew. I had turned 25 so was hopeful... The website quoted €1340 :D . 2 days later I got a letter from QD saying my new premium would be €1780. I rang them up and explained that I had a new quote for €1340... and unless I got that price I was moving to Hibernian (total gamble...). They took my reference number from the website and put me on hold for 10 minutes:eek: The lady eventually came back on and said my online quote was valid and they'd reduce my new premium to €1340.. so lesson learned! Next December when its up for renewal again I'm getting a quote online first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i dont no how the companies can justify insureing an 18 year old girl for 400 on a 1.4 dohc 16 v under here 20 year old brother , a 24 year old girl on the same car for nothing and the other way round its over 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This thread is super... Ill be getting myself insured for the first time in the next month or two so it's been a great help and eye opener!

Nice one ppl. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Im 20, 1 year full licence, 1 year NCB
    driving a 98 Honda civic 1.4i srs.
    Last year my insurance was €2300 (with Quinn Direct, on a different car but when it was transferred over to the car I have now, nothing changed)
    My renewal came to €1700 but when I done a new quote on the Quinn direct website, of €1200 I rang them up and they have matched it.
    So my premium has come down €1100 (nearly half!) in one year, all I say is thank you Quinn Direct!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 vshastak

I'm 29, 4 years full licence and 4 years NCB, driving 98 Opel Omega 2.5TD. Last 3 years I'm with FBD and wanted to shop around for cheaper insurance. All insurance companies quoted beetween 800-900, but FBD only 650! I'll stay with FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

22 year old
    5 years named,
    3 years full license
    I dont think I had any ncb, being a named driver and all that.
    1.3L 95 corolla
    first insurance in my own name.
    Fully Comp €960
    tp f&t 900

They didnt ask where I was livin, if it was alarmed, if it was garaged, none of that crap. I was delighted. Oh yeah, my dad had been with them for years and then moved away from them. if he hadn't done that I would have been entitled to a family discount (apparently). still good though:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 get_carter

I am looking to buy a VW Transporter, but I am not using it for Business use, private & commuting only. Anyone know of companies that provide this kind of insurance over here? I had problems a while back in the UK finding this sort of cover, so I am not expecting it to be easy over here now.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

33 - Full License - 0 points - 10 years no claims. 1.6 litre car. fully comp.

My insurance is due for renewal in a few weeks. I'm currently insured with FBD -
    they sent me out a quote for €530 - exactly same as last year.

I rang OneDirect to get a quote. The quoted me €550. I told them that FBD had quoted me €505 (I fibbed!). The girl on the phone tapped a few buttons on her keyboard and then came back with a price €468.

And OneDirect are doing an offer now of €50 worth of Prize Bonds for new customers !! Bonus.

The insurance cover is the same, and both have 24 hr breakdown assistance as standard.

Wonder what FBD will drop to when I let them know......

It pays to shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hello. I’m from DrivingInfo.ie and we need your help. We have how introduced a public forum where you can give your opinion on topics such as

Driving Test Waiting Times
    What should be done about accident black spots?
    Have you been in an Accident or did you see an Accident? How did it happen?
    What is your opinion of the Driving Test?
    What was your experience of the Driving Test?
    What do you think of the Penalty Points System?
    How do you think Penalty Points System should be enforced?
    Do you think the theory Test is beneficial?
    How do you think we can deal with the issue of Bad Driving in Ireland?

We wish to gather the opinion from as many people as possible and forward the information into the government in bulk.
    To do this we need your opinion.

Thank you
    DrivingInfo.ie Irish National Driving & Motoring Website

http://www.drivinginfo.ie/forum/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Anyone insuring with Quinn Direct should get an online quote, in my case it was over €100 cheaper than the one I got from ringing them. When I enquired about the difference in price they gave me the online price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Quinn sent the renewal figure for my girls car. Its a 06 golf 1.4. She has a full licence as do I. Qoute €909.
    Eagle Star: €455

how can they be so different. mindboggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Britton insurance are great for 1st time drivers.
    I'v just got my provisional licence, I'm 19, no driving experience.
    They quoted me 1028 euro on my 1L 1991 Toyota Starlet, TPFT. :D
    Quinn Direct on the other hand quoted me 1694 euro for the same. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here we go again,
    Male, 24, Full licence, 1 year's NCB, Driving a 1.1 Peugeot 206. Currently with Tesco/Hibernian, and my renewal is €1119.32

Got the below quotes (all fully comp). The only remotely reasonable one (given my age and NCB) is Quinn, but I'd rather pay the extra €100 to tesco for the extra services they give you. Some of them are a complete joke.

Quinn: €1008.56
    AXA: €1508.25
    Hib: €1641.57
    FBD: €1834.72
    ARB: €2149.56
    Allianz: €3089.76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

19 yo Male, Provisional license, Opel corsa 1999, 1litre engine

quinn direct: €1861
    insure.ie €4400
    123.ie €2000+
    britton €2200

So quinn it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

What a joke the insurance is over here!

Female, 27, full UK license (9 years), 1 year NCB, for a 1.4 Seat Ibiza 2006.

Since I had a £200 fault claim last May, Hibernian Direct simply won't insure me. At all! AXA said that I'd have to call into a branch with details of the claim to see if they might consider letting me pay them a ridiculous amount of money.

Eagle Star quoted me €959 - but to add on my husband with his provisional, it takes it to €1453.

Quinn have quoted slightly higher at €1518 for both of us, but it's still €1515 without the husband. The difference is, Quinn only want €214 upfront with 11 monthly payments of €85 but Eagle Star want €435 upfront and 6 monthly instalments of about €200... ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Hi,
    dose anyone know if any insuracne company takes into account

bike no claims discount

I have 4 years no claims bonus on a 125 and Im thinking of upgrading.

Im 20 also on a provisenal car (full bike)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭kickintheteeth

seamus wrote:
    Seriously, how are people getting these quotes? I'm paying that amount on a 1.1 206, I'm 24 with a full licence.... :/

I thought this was the case aswell, and then put in a bmw 5series 2.5 L for the laugh, was only an 200, so now im looking at getting a 3 series 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

male provisional licence less than 1 year
    0 ncb
    own policy
    vw polo 1.0 1998
    fully comprehensive

€2186

Not bad I have to say I was expecting more. Could only get a quote from QD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭martinoc

FYI - It is illegal for an insurance company to refuse to give you a quote. They may quote you anything they like, however, but they cannot legally refuse. Furthermore, they must furnish the quote in writing should it be requested of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Has anyone used the Wright group site lately and niticed a huge increase in premiums?

Have been looking at getting a Seat Ibiza 1 ltr and had been getting quotes of 734€. These have now shot up to 1340€.
    Nothing has changed here, still 22 with full license and no points or no claims bonus.

Unless I can find a much better quote I'll be waiting a few years for my Ibiza :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

martinoc wrote:
    FYI - It is illegal for an insurance company to refuse to give you a quote. They may quote you anything they like, however, but they cannot legally refuse. Furthermore, they must furnish the quote in writing should it be requested of them.

Not true. If 5 companies refuse you then you can go back to the first and they must give you a quote even if it is off the wall. You should keep a record of who has refused you so you know what was the first company you approached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭martinoc

Not true. If 5 companies refuse you then you can go back to the first and they must give you a quote even if it is off the wall. You should keep a record of who has refused you so you know what was the first company you approached.

No, refusing to quote you is considered discrimination. They cannot legaly refuse to quote you. But it can be an off the wall quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm 25 Full Licence (passed test 2 months ago)
    2 Yrs NCB. 5 yrs named
    Driving A 2006 Focus 1.6 Ti-Vct

Axa @ renewal were €1438
    Quinn €1650
    Tesco €1165 with Ignition test
    FBD were €1050 on the net
    Rang FBD and got it down to €930
    Rang again and got it to €840
    Rang AXA and Got €1027, 1 mins of talking got it to €970
    1 more Min got it to €880

So a few phone calls saved me €600 ish:eek:

Shop Around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

mik_da_man wrote:
    I'm 25 Full Licence (passed test 2 months ago)
    2 Yrs NCB. 5 yrs named
    Driving A 2006 Focus 1.6 Ti-Vct

Axa @ renewal were €1438
    Quinn €1650
    Tesco €1165 with Ignition test
    FBD were €1050 on the net
    Rang FBD and got it down to €930
    Rang again and got it to €840
    Rang AXA and Got €1027, 1 mins of talking got it to €970
    1 more Min got it to €880

So a few phone calls saved me €600 ish:eek:

Shop Around

do you get the person to reduce the insurance for you?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

martinoc wrote:
    No, refusing to quote you is considered discrimination. They cannot legaly refuse to quote you. But it can be an off the wall quote.

You need to get 5 decline letters in order to go back to the first company, normally only happens if you've had a conviction or been disqualified. Discrimination was only brought in against age i.e you cannot be declined of a quote if you are under 25 etc... thats gone a few years now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Otto2006

Just another thing to take into account--a cheap quote is not always a good quote. Mate f mine was quoted €1600 tpft on a Toyota Supra--but the policy excess was €4500. Make sure you find out what each Insurer offer in the way of benefits

drdre wrote:
    do you get the person to reduce the insurance for you?
    thanks

Did you miss the "How" in that Question Dr Dre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

mik_da_man wrote:
    Did you miss the "How" in that Question Dr Dre?
    yep :D:D

Thought so :D

I got mine reduced by making sure I was getting all avaiable discounts.
    ie named driver expierence, parents have a policy with the company.
    taking off unnecessary options (motor rescue as I have AA)
    But the best way is to ring around and get a few different quotes and then tell company 1 that company 2 offered you X figure and ask if they can match it. it may take a few phone calls and a bit of Bullsh1t but it works ;)

If you get talking to a more senior agent on the phone you can try to squeeze a good deal from them, i found that the quote you get can really depend on who you talk to!
    eg I rang a cretain company 3 times in a row with the same details and got totally different prices. ranging from 2800 to 1027.

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Female 23, Dublin.
    Provisional licence <1year
    1996 1.2 Renault Clio
    Axa Direct Fully Comprehensive €1134

I was quite surprised - expected to pay a lot more!

Edited cos I forgot to say which company - doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

Male 27, Dublin
    Full licence for 7 years
    NCB in own name for 5 years
    1993 2.2 Honda Prelude (import)
    Quinn Direct - Fully Comp with windscreen cover
    €632 :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Male 21 (20 at time of quote)
    Peugeot 406 coupe 2.0L Petrol
    1 Years no claims as a named driver & full license
    €1067 off quinn direct under own name
    €616 off tescos as a named driver

was pleasantly surprised... de quotes are 3rd party by the way... don't believe in full comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

19 will have 1 year NCB next month when it's renewal time, currently paying €4,500 TPFT with Axa on a Smart Roadster. Just got two qoutes,

Britton: €1,907 TPFT
    Tesco: €2,220 TPFT, or €2,720 Fully Comp.

What a difference a year makes, I was expecting it to come down, but not my over €2k. Not that I'm cpmplaining or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im getting a quote of Quinn, ony rang them and Tesco

1.5 mazda 323F
    23 yo male
    Provisional licence
    0 years NCB (first car)

Quinn 1570euro
    Britton 3200
    Tesco 2400
    insure.ie 2985
    bestquote 1380

Would this be about right?

Anyone ever dealt with best quote? apparently they get quotes from loads of insureres and give you the lowest. If i could find out who it was giving me that quote i could ring them directly and get it cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I got a good quote online from Brittons - about €150 cheaper than my present insurer.
    I have exchanged a couple of emails but I'm finding it hard to get details out of them,I've asked what company the policy is with(on more than one occasion)but they haven't told me.

Anyone else find this ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
Advertisement