Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specsavers/Private Opticians?

• 06-04-2002 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Heya's, The time has come for a new pair of specs and i was wondering what do you think of specsavers. I've been going to them for 10-12 years now but lately I've heard that they are a bad choice. I've been hearing stories about them setting ppl's eyes back a couple of years lately. For the first time i actually have my own cash to spend on them so its my choice where to go:) I was just wondering if any of ye have heard the same and should i stay away from them etc. and go to a private opticians.

ps. Did'nt have A CLUE where to post this so sry...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno really, all I'll say is that I'm very happy with my local optician. -i.e, not a specsavers/other chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I just picked up a new pair there yesterday (GPO Arcade branch), and whoa!! my eyes are fixed!! :cool: :cool:

I've have no complaints..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wee_lady

hey

i went to a private optician when i first started wearing glases and had been going till about 2 years ago...i find that a private optician will do a more detailed examination on your eyes but i found specsavers better when it came to choosing new frames...there is a wider choice and also a lot of offers...i also started wearing contact lenses recently and i went to specsavers for them as well....so my advice to u is if u want a really detailed (and good!) examination of your eyes go private...if u just want them tested to see wot strength of lense u need go to specsavers or the likes! u mite pay more for the private but it may be worth it in the long term....

hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Ive used both private and specsavers. I would recommend that you get your eyes tested in your local optician and if you dont like their selection of specs then go to specsavers. I got my eyes tested in specsavers across the road from TCD and I felt that the opticion rushed it. I got them tested 2 years ago in the local optician and I was treated alot better. The opticion in specsavers was rude, she looked exhausted and overworked. I like the specs I got and they were great value but im weary about the lenses.:confused:
    Maybe I should complain..........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I got glasses from specsavers and I have to say I had absolutely no problems with anything. I wasn't waiting for too long, the staff were really good helping me to choose frames and the optician who tested me was exactly the opposite to the one pugwall got. She was really patient and took her time. But there will always be good and bad experiences in both private and specsavers so its probably just a case of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

I find Private opticians better than Spec savers for the same reasons as above. They examine your eyes better, they usually have a more thorough training than spec savers.
    And it is true than you can take their results and go somewhere else to get the frames if you don't like the selection the Private Optician has.

Advertisement