Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-Up sharing connection

• 06-04-2002 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Bit of a networking Question.

My brother is staying with me for a while and he has brought his PC with him beacuse he is in the process of moving.

Is there anyway we can both dial up to the internet at the same time, using the same phone line?
    For instance, I'm in one room with one phone socket and he's in another room with another socket.
    If i am dialled up and then he goes to dial up using his PC he just gets the fuzzy noise of the phone line and it wont let him dial up.

Are there any settings you change to let another person dial up?

BTW, Neither of us have a networking card in our PC's.

Any help would be appreciated
    George

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If it's just an ordinary phoneline, you can't dialup at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Beastie Boy

Thanks Frank,

Sorry I should have added that its the same phone connection with a y-splitter at the socket, so techinically the same socket, if you get what I mean.

Would that make any difference?

If it's the same line it won't matter how you've got the modems connected. It would be like trying to make 2 phonecalls at the same time.
    I used a program called Wingate to share the connection between my Windows machines, but they've all got nics installed.

NIC's are pretty cheap nowadays I hear.

We might head over to Compustore in Leopardstown and get some- I presume they are fairly easy to install

Thanks Frank

yeah, pretty easy alright. The last nic I bought was a netgear one from PC world, cost around £20 at the time. Some crossover cable from maplins is only a few quid too. Nothing much to it. Wingate is free if you only use it on 2 pcs.

• Advertisement

Cool,

Cheers for the help
    Hardware aint my forté

George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Internet connection sharing
    Microsoft program

network 2 pc's and 1 has modem and both access the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just as a crazy though (my head's a bit fuzzy today). If you had the two connected by NIC, say with ip's 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, 1 being connected to the net by phoneline, could the other one not connect (while dialed up) by setting it's gateway as 10.0.0.1? Or does that create havoc. Stop laughing at me, I'm hungover, I can't think staright

If the machines are just running Windows (not a server version), then no it won't work. Either ICS on 98se+ would have to be installed or a program like Wingate, or something similar.

Advertisement