Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking care of utensils

Options
  • 06-04-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any special way of taking care of their cooking utensils.

I have a wok that was non-stick and became absolutely bolloxed from something I made so became non-non-stick. I have got rid of the base layer and subsequently after I wash the wok I put a thin coat of oil over the bottom. This is healing the surface quite well - does anyone have any tips on how to re-non-stick your pans?

Also garlic crushers and sieves... any good way of cleaning them except for just leaving them to soak...?
    :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Gordon
    does anyone have any tips on how to re-non-stick your pans?

I don't think you can.
    Maybe there is some sort of teflon spray available, but I suspect that unless your pan was extremely expensive it would not be worth doing.

I have a selection of pans and woks and whilst the non stick pans are handy, you can't beat a proper skillet.
    They will last far longer than anything non-stick once, as you said they are kept oiled.

My non stick pan has lots of scratches in the coating from using metal utensils, another drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Skillet huh? What's a skillet when it's at home, in your kitchen? (I am hoping it has nothing to do with candy floss :confused: )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

A heavy black iron frying pan (the old fashioned type).
    Takes absolutely ages to heat up properly, but when it gets there you can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You cant re-non-stick teflon pans, and it should be worth noting that teflon itself is toxic.

If the pan is badly scratched, you either throw it out, or use metal wool or something to remove all the teflon.

If you have a non-non-stick wok, or have stripped your teflon what you need to do is season it. Repeated use, with oiling after cleaning can do this, but the fast approach is to rub it with oil, and burn it in. Then clean it off with a damp cloth (no detergent). Repeat the process up to a dozen times, until the metal is blackened, and the cleaning after burning is not coming away with blackness. After that - treat the pan as though it were non-stick.

In general, I would reommend you throw out, rather than strip a non-stick pan, because the metal isnt heavy enough to make a really good wok anyway. If youre around Dublin, go to an Asian Market, and pick up a nice heacy cheap wok, and season it as above.

As for sieves etc.....I use a brush, and just "dab dab dab" through the holes to clean them, then dry immediately. Course, I dont use garlic crushers - I use the flat of a knife.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"Burn it in" Huh? Excellent thought, I'll try that, thanks. Garlic crushers are great, I use it for ginger.

"Beware the one that uses edge of knife to crush garlic, the garlic force is strong with him" That was confusion that said that yeh?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

buy new ones and then don't use them.

Advertisement