Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflicting devices

• 25-04-2001 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I decided to download that 3dMark2001 to see how my machine would fare, only to get a miserable 845. It's a 1ghz Tbird on a KT7-RAID, 128mb RAM, Hercules Prophet II GTS 32MB on Win95. I looked around in the device settings, and discovered this under the geforce2:

Memory Range DC000000 - DCFFFFFF used by:
    VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Range D0000000 - D7FFFFFF used by:
    VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller

Could this be the cause of my crap benchmark result, or is this normal? If not, how can I fix it? I'm using the newest nVidia drivers, and Via 4in1 4.29v.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Could this be the cause of my crap benchmark result 'Yes' , or is this normal? 'No' If not, how can I fix it? 'No idea'

Sorry, don't know enough about VIA/AMD setups.
    Gerry should be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

this *might* work

In your bios (assuming you're using AWARD)

goto .. i think its PCI/PNP .. and then enable (or disable) the Shadow for that memory address.

make sure Assign IRQ for VGA is ON
    and basically make sure ur bios is ok

RentZ
    (rants)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

That is not your problem. That is the only device permitted to share resources with your GF2.

Get rid of 95 if your up to a fresh install. Otherwise get someone to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

mabye you need more ram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah, I guess both an OS upgrade and more RAM is called for. I'll have to wait till after my exams before I've time for either though.

Ok, thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

win95 is the problem, I'd be nearly certain of that. Win95 reckons theres a conflict because it doesnt realise that the graphics card is sharing main memory, through the agp controller. Win95 is rubbish anyway, get it off yer machine.

what do you reckon, 98 or ME? Or even 2k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

2k. Its stupidly more stable than 98 or ME. DOesnt slowly fall apart requiring a reinstall. Runs all my games perfectly. (even on my ****ty p2-450). And doesnt annoy me by constantly blue screening.
    quozl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Huuuummm

Happy sounds coming from the win 2k camp could it be worth upgrading me thinks?.

Stone biggrin.gif

yeah it would seem so. I was resisting an upgrade to 2k cause I wasn't sure about games support, but I'll take Greg's word for it smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aswell make sure when you benchmark (After sending 95 to its grave) that you turn off FSAA and Vsync. If you want to take it seriously also use CTRL-ALT-DEL to close everything bar explorer.

Yeah I'd already done all that in the hope of improving my score, but to no avail. I'll try again once I've upgraded.

Advertisement