Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware "Snow white" emails

• 26-04-2001 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

If you get an email about snow white etc and it has an attachment,then delete it at once.This is the carrier of the Hybris Virus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I got that email and was about to run the .exe when I thought, "I think I may as well scan it." and low and behold! Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

thread about it under security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

In fairness you'd have to be a bit daft to run an .exe that you got with an unsolicited email.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

If you reply to the e-mail you get an auto return e-mail telling you all about the virus and how not to receive it again. I havn't worked that part out yet, I probably get the snow white e-mail every second day for the last six months now. Looks like im stuck with her for life....The delete botton works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmcd:
    I probably get the snow white e-mail every second day for the last six months now. Looks like im stuck with her for life....The delete botton works great. </font>
    Holy sh*t! that often? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I get it and the ILOVEYOU several times daily
    because I'm in a uni and we have a command address book for all students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I got that snowwhite thing a while back....
    it was an .scr file from what i remember......
    thought it waas ascreensaver or something.......
    hehe.........
    reformat time......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

At this point in time I would liked to say.......YAY!!! for mail sweeper. It blockes it a treat. and YAY for Admining it too. I'v seen it cought in the sweeper a few times, lucky I heard about it off one of the other system Admins

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

ive gotten snow white a good few times now aswell, 4 times in the last month or so.
    bloody annoying it is.
    its fine so long as you dont open it of course, but my bro was just home for easter and the baastard almost clicked, only i was right beside him smile.gif phew.
    must try that replying to it, see if i can stop it

[This message has been edited by davoc (edited 26-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

How is it distributed anyway? Its just the address I got it at would not be in many peoples addy books....I dunno how it found its way to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    How is it distributed anyway? Its just the address I got it at would not be in many peoples addy books....I dunno how it found its way to me.</font>

It hooks into Winsock, monitors traffic, and fires off a copy of the Snow White mail to anything that looks like an email address.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.hybris.gen.html

The domain "sexyfun.net" did not exist when this virus started spreading - hahaha@sexyfun.net was a fake address. Volunteers have since registered the domain and set up servers in an effort to stop the spread of the virus.
    http://www.sexyfun.net/

Advertisement