Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gig you have been to?

• 06-04-2002 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

What has been the best Gig/Event you have ever been to in your lifetime?

For me it would have to be REM in Slane in 95, Oasis were the support as were a few others. But the gig was fu(king amazing. I was 16 at the time and this was the first time I had been to Slane and what aq batism of fire. The sun was blazing and myself and my cousin had the most amazing day. This was the monster tour on which nearly all the band(REM) had nearly died.

Others highlights of the gigs I have been to include for sheer fun and a really good gig it would have to be Robbie Williams at slane a couple of years ago. When all 100,000 people were jumping up and down that was one of the coolest sights to be standing on the hill and watching everyone going nuts!!!

Another really cool gig was Kylie Minogue in Melbourne last year that was a right laugh and I got to go the aftershow party :);)

I seen the scratch perverts a few years ago in the temple bar music centre and that was unbelievable I was of me head and watching them scratch away on 5 decks was a sight.

The best HipHop gig I have been to has to be Jurasic 5 last year in Australia.

The first Witnnes festival was cool and seeing the happy mondays in Sydney last January was a sight, Shawn Ryder had to be proped up on the drum riser all the way through the concert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Opeth/Katatonia/Novembre - December 2001

Bestest Gig EVAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Pogues December 2001, was so good I fear every other concert is gonna be very boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Ahamah
    Pogues December 2002, was so good I fear every other concert is gonna be very boring

Hehe... Can you see through time?

Let me get this again:
    December 2002

Dont know what you're talkin bout chief

:p:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Very Crafty Ahamah :)
    Best Gig......hmmmm....... Radiohead at Punchestown, the third night. Class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

best gig ever was bellx1 and the frames in whelans a while back when the frames just turned up and played after bellx1... brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

One of the best gigs I was at was the Crash Test Dummies in Whelans, on their 5 night stint of 'live rehearsals' there in February 96 (or maybe 95 - my brain's going to jelly :p )

However, 'twas rather superb

Motorhead in Vicar st. last May was another excellent one, looking forward to their return in June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Originally posted by Giblet
    Best Gig......hmmmm....... Radiohead at Punchestown, the third night. Class

I went to all three nights and I have to say the second night was the best. Although on the third night they played all the old favourites but I personally thought the second night had the best atmosphere.

Although the best gig I think they have done was in the RDS a few years ago that was cool. Massive attack was the support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Whipping Boy in the TBMC, dec '97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Brian Wilson in the point early february.. quite simply an unforgettable night.

other noteable gigs: Spiritualized, Black Box Galway last Sept. Jurassic 5, Red Box. Ugly Duckling was a pretty damn good gig as well ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

The UK Ozzfest in Milton Keynes last year kicked ass.
    Fear Factory in the Ambassador last december was cool because I had my first fully fledged Crowd Surf there.
    And Devin Townsend last December because he just rules, full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I've been to alot of gigs in my time, but the best was but a few days ago.

Bands like Oasis in the point, for atmosphere or Red Hot Chilli Peppers also in the point for just pure madness spring to mind but overall there can be only one winner and in this case it has to be:

Gomez, The Ambasador Dublin, two days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Metallica, in the Point, 1996.

Superb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

far and away has to be smashing pumpkins in the sfx august 95.

also rem in slane was mindblowing and rage against the machine at feile 94.

~S8N~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

Originally posted by Scruff
    Metallica, in the Point, 1996.

Superb!

i completely agree, they were excellent and the guitarist from thin lizzy turned up to play 'whiskey in the jar'. class
    but wasn't that in 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JoD

Oasis at shep. bush last october. It was the first night of their 10 years of noise and confusion tour with just 2000 people there it was the best thing ever.

I queued 16 hours by myself for the tickets and it was worth every minute. Liam was super cool on the night as usual and in great form. They played all the classics supersonic, slide away, morning glory etc. And it was the first time tha anyone got to hear new tracks of their new CD, The hindu times and Hung in a bad place.

The Crowd were mad fer it which made it so much better.

One of (if not THE) best nights of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

U2 in Cardiff Arms Park - 1993. It was towards the end of the ZOO TV tour. Great weather, incredible atmosphere, amazing gig and just generally one of the best days out ever (I brought my mum along and she had a ball).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

Pogues December 2001, was so good I fear every other concert is gonna be very boring

I must agree. It was far too good, they are scheduled to play London Fleadh on June 8th.
    http://www.meanfiddler.com/

I think I will have to go over and see them again.

ooooh joe strummer there too, bit of a re-union type thing, joe is also doin witnness according to boards, wonder will his mate shane follow him.......

/whisper /rumour /pogues at witnness

Marvellous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flimbo

good evening.

Best concert ever was the FOO FIGHTERS in the olympia December 2000. Amazing atmosphere.......great music. UNBELIEVABLY GOOD.

Coming in at second place is the frames at witnness last year. Band of the weekend in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Patti Smith: Sydney 1997.

Amazing. When she played Kimberly I nearly cried, but didn't, cause I was in Sydney....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Best gig probaly was The Frames at the Mercury Lounge in NYC this year, would have been better if not for the pretentious pile of garbage Elk City that played support though.

worst: Rod Stewart! The horror, dont ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

U2 in New York last summer!

Worst, Massive Attack before Radiohead a few years back in the RDS. I was really looking foward to seeing them, but they were crap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been to several great ones...

Ash in the Point December '96 ruled.

Therapy? in the Olympia (April 2000) and again in the Ambasador (a few months back - can't remember which) were amazing!

Foo Fighters in the Olympia (plyd Flimbo) also ruled.

The first Slane gig last year was amazing (so much so I had to go see Chilli's again this summer)

Reef (with support from Feeder) in the Red Box *years* ago ('96 or '97) were fantastic. Met Feeder afterwards in the crowd.

Actually, the only concert I haven't enjoyed was Pearl Jam in the Point last time they were here (Summer 2000 I think it was) - it was boring as hell and I couldn't wait to get home to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Best gig(s) I've been to- well, in fact the only 2 EVER-not because I haven't wanted to, but I'm disabled and, although It's getting better than it was, the access still can be a problem.

U2 at Botanic Gardens August 1997-

A cloudy evening, although, mercifully, it didn't rain until everyone was coming out after the show. Suffered through a MISERABLY boring set from Downpatrick group Ash, who honestly sounded no better than a band you'd hear in your local on a bad Friday night!!! However, after a LONG- why it was that long, I haven't a clue- interval, took to the stage. Played all the classic U2 stuff. The best moment of the concert was late on, during the curiously underrated "Bullet the Blue Sky" when it got to the line about the planes, 3 planes suddenly flew over the Gardens, and all you could see was the taillights of the planes. On radio next morning, Bono claimed that it was a coincidence, to which 40,000 U2 fans chorused back "Yeah right!!!"

Bryan Adams at Prehen Football fields, Derry City, August 2001.

Took us 2 hours to get from our home in Newtownards to Derry, but it was worth every moment of the journey. Arrived in the middle of the first support act, local singer Juliet Turner, who really isn't my cup of tea, but the 2nd act DEFINETELY was. It was the reformed 70's punk rock legends the Undertones- "Teenage Kicks" etc. Absolutely FANTASTIC- even though I was seeing them 20 years too late- I was only a kid when they were in their heyday.

Then, Bryan Adams took the stage just before the sun went down-it had been the most GLORIOUS late summer evening- and delivered a BLISTERING 2 hour set. Now, I have been a Bryan Adams fan for YEARS, but that was the first time I'd ever seen him live. Suffice to say, I wasn't disappointed!! All his great songs- "Everything I Do, I do it for you" "Heaven" and (my personal favourite) "Run to You" as well as a fair smattering of lesser known album tracks-well, lesser known except to strange folk like me!!!!!! The concert ended at 10.45 p.m. when a MASSIVE firework display lit up the (by then) dark Derry skies. Apparently, they saw the fireworks all over the North West!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bryan Adams? Dear god no.

Mine is Radiohead/97. Great atmos, best tracks, great crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Worst, Massive Attack before Radiohead a few years back in the RDS. I was really looking foward to seeing them, but they were crap.

BTW gotta agree. Went to a festival, and couldnt wait to see Massive Attack play. God it was the most awful 45 mins ever, couldn't wait for it to finish. It was so boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flimbo

kharn, i was also at ash in '96 . that was my first gig ever. IT ROOLED!!!!!!! I've seen them about 7 or 8 times since then......they lose a bit of appeal each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Amazing, Ash at the point 96 was my first ever gig as well! It was a gerat night, but not an alltime classic, it was probably the atmosphere, and the fact that it was SO LOUD, being first time, that was so great.

The Manics and REM at Glastonbury, and Blur at the point stand out, for me.
    Also, during the Super Furry Animals set at Glastonbury, a bloke attempted to drive through the crowd in a van, it was very dangerous but a bit of a joke, people climbed ontop and dived into the crowd, excellent stuff, and it was eventually stripped.
    And Sham 69 at the TBMC was unforgettable, as were At The Drive In.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Best gig for me was the first time I saw Lou Reed live. It was '96, in Glasgow. Unreal.

Advertisement