Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over clocking??

• 06-04-2002 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Is overclocking worth doing, whats the advantages and disadvantages, the reason I ask is i might be getting a 1.6mhz P4 and would maybe overclock it in a year or two,

just like to know whether its worth it?

hertz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Well it depends why you want to overclock? I overclock cos I can and I have a 1333MHz cpu running at 1600MHz, the difference is a little noticable but nothing out of the ordinary, supposedly 1.6a northwood or p4 processors are highly overclockable with the standard cooling, most of them run at around 2400MHz which is probably worth doing since it would cost a heap more for a standard clock of the above 2400MHz speed, so it's worth it for a superboost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Fúck yea its worth it. When has getting a new processor for free not been worth it :)

yes there are risks involved but if you know what you are doing its a must. If you dont, read up on it a bit on the net.

The price of extra fans, etc is insignificant compared to getting a new mobo, chip and all.

get some know how and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

and your warranty goes if u clock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

They can sometimes tell if you tampered with an AMD but not intel, most of the overclocking is done on the fsb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you read up on it, you won't be needing the warranty, because you will have cooled the cpu well enough to make it last as long as you need it for. There are a list of recommended hardware sites in the sticky on the hardware tweaking board, where you can start reading up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive oc my 1 gig axia . its running nicely now . its a 1 gig @ 1333 . its going fine usual cpu temp is 22 c goes up to about 32 if running a game and then close to 40 if ripping dvd's for some reason . dident like that . but have put in more cooling and looking good so far .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by conZ
    and your warranty goes if u clock it.

And how would that be exactly?

To overclock (some) AMD CPUs you need to draw the bridges, and all sortsa crap (I know, I have an XP), but with the Intel ones you don't. As long as it's cooled properly, no one will be any wiser.. muhah

OC'ing your P4 will definitely will be a good idea. I mean, if you could get a 1.6, or a 2.4 for the same price, which would you get? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

My arse.
    Why on earth would you need to overclock a 1.6ghz p4? Are you ripping DVDs everyday? Graphic designer? Running Maya? I'd only overclock up to 1ghz. Any more than that isn't worth it in my opion. (yet) For the record pIII 700e@910. (Damn cheap motherboard.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

1.6ghz P4s are sloooooowwww, course you'd want to overclock.....:). (And before we get into the time honoured Athlon/Intel debate, thats comparing my home system to the 1.7Ghz p4 I use in work).

Koneko, correct me if I'm wrong but the multipliers are locked on P4's just as they are to begin with on Athlons? Physically modifying the Athlon like that just unlocks it. You can o'clock both without doing it by using the FSB only, though you have less options that way.

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Koneko, correct me if I'm wrong but the multipliers are locked on P4's just as they are to begin with on Athlons? Physically modifying the Athlon like that just unlocks it. You can o'clock both without doing it by using the FSB only, though you have less options that way.

Not in the same way. You can connect the pins with a wire to voltage mod it (basically), but you can easily remove it, leaving practically no trace of OC'ing at all. Also the ole setting the voltage on the mobo is a good idea aswell. I think Toms Hardware had an article on it a while back (with more details). With the Athlons unfortunately it's all a lil more permanent (and believe me, they won't change the CPU for you when it's fried, I tried out of interest :P ) I've been using Athlons for a good while now, and preferred those, but the P4s seem to be getting better lately. Luckily I'm (well technically my significant other, but it's all the same) getting a P4 and will be OCing that (on a watercooled rig). Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Do you happen to know where I could get an anodised aluminium socket 478 waterblock then? ;)

Mmm pancakes. :P JustHalf

I get a some of my watercooling gear here:

https://www.overclockershideout.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

(Well.. the stuff that isn't too expensive). P4s used to need a little mounting bracket (or adapter plate). I think they (oc hideout) changed it to a special block now.
    I'm sticking with my xp for now, prolly till something better comes along (why upgrade to something a teensy bit better).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by b4k4^2
    My arse.
    Why on earth would you need to overclock a 1.6ghz p4? Are you ripping DVDs everyday? Graphic designer? Running Maya? I'd only overclock up to 1ghz. Any more than that isn't worth it in my opion. (yet) For the record pIII 700e@910. (Damn cheap motherboard.)

A lot of people would like to have the fastest cpu, whether it is for serious time critical work, games or just prestige. If you can get the slowest cpu and clock it up, you are saving money.

Koneko, I hope my new tualatin cpu isn't blown, since I can't seem to get it working and have no tualatin board to try it on, I'm sending it back. I did a few wire wrapping mods on it to try and get it to work on my bx board, but no joy. I still have my 600e@933 to keep me going anyway.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Koneko, I hope my new tualatin cpu isn't blown, since I can't seem to get it working and have no tualatin board to try it on, I'm sending it back. I did a few wire wrapping mods on it to try and get it to work on my bx board, but no joy. I still have my 600e@933 to keep me going anyway.

Ouch, sounds like it could be nasty. Nothing worse than ending up with a broken CPU. Where did you get it?

Advertisement