Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone ever hit by a car and survive?

Options
  • 06-04-2002 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Its come up in another thread an idea while discussing speeding.

Hence the question ...

Anybody out there been hit by a car or other vehicle and survive totally un injured ? What do these ppl think of speeding / carelessness after the incident ( and before ) ?

( obviously you survived if you can type a replY ! :-) !

I think drivers who disregard their speed esp. when going thru towns need to realise that its more important to take caution about other road users and pedestrians . than their own safety. After all , if somebody drives ( at any speed incidentally ) and then hits a wall and kills themselves, is their own "fault" as thats the risk for owning a car .When injuring / killing an innocent , thats a different story ....

When you think about it - the recent TV ads about speeding are not harrowing enough. But, speed is never the only issue , skilled and cautious driving is required also .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ya, i survived (think so...)
    was seven(i think)
    came out of it practically with a bruise and an easter egg:D and some feckup in my brain...
    i wasnt complainin, got a few days off skool :)
    :view of cars before the accident -
    just the bumper.
    :view of cars after the accident -
    ****in great ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

most accidents are caused by bad driving, not speeding, not drink driving, just plain bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

...or average driving on awful roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Was parked at a junction waiting for a clear rood, when the guy behind me decides to drive away with me in front. (He just drove straight in too the back of my car) I was in a Mini and he was in a large car. With no headrests and low seats my back was hurt, never to be the same again :(

Your right nog it’s dangers driving, but speeding in the wrong place is dangers driving.
    Just most people do not count it as dangers driving.
    Am not going to say any more about speeding on this thread.

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lots of people have been hit by cars and survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As a cyclist:

First time - I smack into the back of a car on my bike, bust lip.

Second time - car pulls out of side road and blocks my path - I smack into the side. Dazed and confused.

Third time - car does 3-point u-turn across 4 lanes blocks my path - I smack into the side, thrown over bonnet, end up in puddle. End up in A&E and on crutches for 3 weeks.

As a pedestrian:

First time - Car reverses on me from a parked position (please engage 1st gear before releasing hand brake!!!).

Second time - Car reverses in circumstances I don't recollect (!)

Third time - Van pulls into junction, I go around behind, van driver decides he is going the wrong way and reverses on top of me, I get knocked to the ground.

As a bus passenger:

First time - Car hits back of bus, car loses.

Second time - Car hits back of bus, car loses. :) (like how do you not see a bus in front of you?)

As a taxi passenger:

Car runs red light. Taxi hits it at about 30mph. Both cars written off. Other driver hospitalised and being prosecuted. I end up bruised, cut, torn muscles, can't handle work anymore and quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭KyUss

Hey Victor.

I hope you is doing the lotto evry week. You should be due some luck soon with that kinda history !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Mate of mine was cycling along one day, and shame on him looked away from the road, secounds later he was plouded into by a car. He survived, broken rib, the car was not so lucky, he broke a window and dented it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez Victor, methinks you should just stay in bed and forget about going outside...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

when i was about seven,rode out of my drive across the road without looking.
    Hit by car,went over the bonnet spinning gently hit head on road ,my bike went under the car and was mangled.Car stopped 100 meters down road.
    I had slight cut to head,felt slightly drowsy.
    maybe if the car was going slower i would have gone under the wheels.
    One of those things *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

about 8yrs ago i was walking home and some assh*&e of a driver never pulled out far enough when going around me and he hit me.. i landed in a ditch. he got out of the car. walked me to my front door. i was only about 200m from my house. he told me had no tax or insurance. left me at my front door, said he would be back, just getting his car. Fu<ker took off never to be seen again. i was out of school for over a week :D but couldnt walk on one of my legs :mad: also i couldnt bend my back :mad: since then i have a bad back i can never to heavy work. my back is ruined for life. i have spent a fortune with doctors on pain killers, x-rays, treatment, speciallists etc. but all say my back will never be right again :mad: the guy was never caught:mad:

Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

I have worked as a bike courier in Dublin on and off(due to injuries and a pain from minimum work) for the last seven years. In that time I have flown (on more than one occasion), slided, impacted and in general have experienced a new way of looking at dublin, from the road at two inches.

I have found myself comming to with my legs and half my bike under a car(chain came off)
    I have got towed up camden st by a bus.( Bus door caught my handlebars and away we went- 1ST prize to the courier-trip in a ambulance to ST James.)
    I have cracked ribs from hitting a hidden pothole (it was in a puddle)
    I have lost count of the amount of drivers who preform thier unique rituals when it comes to the rules of the road.

Mirrors for cosmetics and not the road.

indicators for many uses but not for signalling a left or right hand turn. For example: I was cycling along when A Van ran a yeild sign (on my left) and as I swerved right to avoid this van, he then turns right, indicating after he started the right turn. I am currently dealing with his insurance company as he gave me the run around for 3 months. Minor damage to me and bike but unable to work for the rest of the week due to such injuries and damage.

I have been involved in 42 accidents with the net result being that I am missing half the muscle in the left hand side of my left knee and have a strong dislike for Taxi/Bus Drivers and pedestrians (knocked down 5 times by pedestrians). As for normal drivers on the road, well my friends and I don't trust anyone in a car or bigger, It keeps us safe from harm, usually.

If you are in a accident with a MOTORISED VEHECLE, Get all the details of the car or get some witness to do it if you can't. The person who hit you may be sorry and all apologetic but that those not mean you should leave it go. Report it and get yourself checked out. If the person who hit you gives you any grief, deal directly with their insurance company and mention their conduct with you (you could mention it to the Gardi as well). Get them to cover your costs for a doctors visit.
    I have never broked a bone in all my accidents but at the moment my friends injuries include a broken shoulder(out for 3 weeks) a broken wrist (working with it!!), a hand with two broken fingers with one pinned( out for 3 months min.) and the usual few sprained muscles and ego's.

I have only sued one person (for my knee injury). I don't belive in this sue for everything attitude in this country and leave a lot slide when it comes to accidents but now I make sure i am not out of pocket for damages or medical or days out of work.

get the details, get the witnesse's and get yourself checked out.
    (if you are in the right or wrong)

Forgive the rant but the roads and drivers combined have caused enough "life flashing before the eyes" incidents that I sometimes wonder if this is all a trip.

Ps people with bad backs should think twice about snowboarding.( see you out there next year Coyote. :) )

Was cycling along minding my own business about 10 years ago. Some pedestrians on the footpath ahead of me. A little old dear decides to step off the footpath in front of me without looking. Smacked into her. No real damage (luckily it was an uphill section of the road and I wasn't going cery fast) - the thing is she blamed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Alot of close calls but only in one minor bump.

Going up to Dublin my father was driving and my sister was in her car in front. We're coming up to some traffic lights they're going red it looks like my sis is gonna go through so the father doesn't brake too hard, last sec she decides to stop!

So father slams on the breaks but we're still moving foward, ice on the road or something hit into her, she gets knocked foward a few metres.

Minor damage to both cars, the passangers in the sis's car have slight wiplash but we're fine... air bags didn't come out, wasn't really necessary for them too but kinda surprised they didn't anyway!!

A friend of mine a few years back was one his way down the road on his bike, he came into a bad corner pritty fast n slamed into a neighbours car, the car went over his leg n crushed it. He was in hospital for a couple of month's!

It's a very bad bend on a narrow road, but i'd imagine the driver wasn't entirely at fault.

And now you know why it's illegal to travel in convoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I was getting a jockey back off a girl I know on Leeson Street after coming out of a club. A bunch of drunk lads in a car knocked the two of us down.
    I got up, went to the drivers window and started shouting at him and the rest of them, giving them abuse, when I mentioned that I could tell he was píssed and I'd ring the guards, he sped off, swerving all over the shop.
    Bit off topic but anyway... another night I was out on the píss with a friend of mine... we were walking down Leeson street again, when we saw two cars parked on the other side of the road, the front car was a woman and the car behind was a bloke, he was shouting out his window at her and she was shouting for him to go away. Then, he started ramming her car with his car!! It was unbelievable.

I don't know if they were partners or if they knew each other, but my friend went over to him... he wouldn't get out of his car, so my friend abused him and slagged him, after the bloke rammed her car a few more times, she drove off.... and he pursued. I rang the guards, and they basically said there's nothing they could do, go to my local station!! Madness.

Originally posted by Victor
    As a cyclist:

First time - I smack into the back of a car on my bike, bust lip.

Second time - car pulls out of side road and blocks my path - I smack into the side. Dazed and confused.

Third time - car does 3-point u-turn across 4 lanes blocks my path - I smack into the side, thrown over bonnet, end up in puddle. End up in A&E and on crutches for 3 weeks.

As a pedestrian:

First time - Car reverses on me from a parked position (please engage 1st gear before releasing hand brake!!!).

Second time - Car reverses in circumstances I don't recollect (!)

Third time - Van pulls into junction, I go around behind, van driver decides he is going the wrong way and reverses on top of me, I get knocked to the ground.

As a bus passenger:

First time - Car hits back of bus, car loses.

Second time - Car hits back of bus, car loses. :) (like how do you not see a bus in front of you?)

As a taxi passenger:

Car runs red light. Taxi hits it at about 30mph. Both cars written off. Other driver hospitalised and being prosecuted. I end up bruised, cut, torn muscles, can't handle work anymore and quit.

victor, do me a favour will you....

stay away from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Victor
    And now you know why it's illegal to travel in convoy?
    say what now?

Originally posted by azezil
    say what now?

You are not meant to drive immediately behind someone you are travelling with as you will tend to get complacent (people also have the habit of rubbering necking to watch 'colour-coordinated' convoys).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

About two years ago I was on my way into work, driving at about 8am, on the Blackrock bypass. The traffic was sl slow I had the handbrake on while paused. I'm in the supposed fast lane on my way towards town....

Meanwhile on the other carraige way there's a truck in the fast line, going about 40mph, when a Golf booting down the slow lane, gets ahead of the truck, the car driver moves into the fast lane...

Unfortunately, he's not fully ahead, so as he changes lane, he clips the truck, the car then turns side on in front of the truck and starts to roll.....towards me.

So I'm sitting in the car looking at this happen - I can see the car coming, and I think to myself "I'm getting ****ed here". I realise I don't have time to get my seatbelt off and try get to the other side of the car, so I turn away from the impact thinking I'll at least try and save my eyesight

Anyway, the cars collide - too be honest i don't recall the moment of impact or how hard it was - the next thing I do know is that I'm sitting up thinking I'm ok, kinda flex and stretch in the car - yep, ok.

The Golf actually hit my car along the front wing and driver door - but didn't do a load of damage. What saved my ass was the set of pedestrian barriers in the middle the island, they were directly in the way and thay got wiped out big time.

Anyway I got out of my car just as the golf driver got out of his - I wasn't annoyed or angry, I was just glad to be okay, he was badly dazed, and the truck driver was in shock.

After about 10mins the cops - oh yeah this happened outside B'rock Garda station - arrived, by driving down the opposite carraigeway and coming back up my side. The first one on the scene walks up to me and asks what I did - younger male driver, automatically caused it assumption- and I pointed out I did nothing, I was stopped.

Anyway we all walked away - testament to a Golf chassis - my car got fixed out of insurance, I think the Golf was written off. I never actually heard anything back from any party after the accident so I don't know if there was any charges made.

But every time I go through Blackrock there's a visible reminder of the accident - the ped barriers are still gone.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

I was hit by an off duty Dublin Bus on the Kenilworth Road near Harolds Cross one day (well I think I hit him to a certain extent). The fu<ker knocked me straight into the path of a car which duly hit me. Does that count?

Originally posted by RogueDotC
    I have worked as a bike courier in Dublin on and off(due to injuries and a pain from minimum work) for the last seven years. In that time I have flown (on more than one occasion), slided, impacted and in general have experienced a new way of looking at dublin, from the road at two inches.

I have found myself comming to with my legs and half my bike under a car(chain came off)
    I have got towed up camden st by a bus.( Bus door caught my handlebars and away we went- 1ST prize to the courier-trip in a ambulance to ST James.)
    I have cracked ribs from hitting a hidden pothole (it was in a puddle)
    I have lost count of the amount of drivers who preform thier unique rituals when it comes to the rules of the road.

Mirrors for cosmetics and not the road.

indicators for many uses but not for signalling a left or right hand turn. For example: I was cycling along when A Van ran a yeild sign (on my left) and as I swerved right to avoid this van, he then turns right, indicating after he started the right turn. I am currently dealing with his insurance company as he gave me the run around for 3 months. Minor damage to me and bike but unable to work for the rest of the week due to such injuries and damage.

I have been involved in 42 accidents with the net result being that I am missing half the muscle in the left hand side of my left knee and have a strong dislike for Taxi/Bus Drivers and pedestrians (knocked down 5 times by pedestrians). As for normal drivers on the road, well my friends and I don't trust anyone in a car or bigger, It keeps us safe from harm, usually.

If you are in a accident with a MOTORISED VEHECLE, Get all the details of the car or get some witness to do it if you can't. The person who hit you may be sorry and all apologetic but that those not mean you should leave it go. Report it and get yourself checked out. If the person who hit you gives you any grief, deal directly with their insurance company and mention their conduct with you (you could mention it to the Gardi as well). Get them to cover your costs for a doctors visit.
    I have never broked a bone in all my accidents but at the moment my friends injuries include a broken shoulder(out for 3 weeks) a broken wrist (working with it!!), a hand with two broken fingers with one pinned( out for 3 months min.) and the usual few sprained muscles and ego's.

I have only sued one person (for my knee injury). I don't belive in this sue for everything attitude in this country and leave a lot slide when it comes to accidents but now I make sure i am not out of pocket for damages or medical or days out of work.

get the details, get the witnesse's and get yourself checked out.
    (if you are in the right or wrong)

Forgive the rant but the roads and drivers combined have caused enough "life flashing before the eyes" incidents that I sometimes wonder if this is all a trip.

Ps people with bad backs should think twice about snowboarding.( see you out there next year Coyote. :) )

i find it hard to believe that out of the 42 accident youve had, you dont once say you are a crap driver?
    you also blame pedestrians for knocking you down.
    what do you drive?
    a pedal tricycle for a 2 year old?
    i think you should learn how to navigate the road better and accept that the fact that while you are on the road, you are responsible as well as other people.

Advertisement