Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 gig cap ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Quit making up impossible numbers like 2500 and 7500 euro.

Eircom's original pricing structure included a cap-free 1mbit/256k service for 275 euro a month - a mere 1100 euro for a four month period, 3300 euro a year. You might even fit the 6GB capped service at 200 euro a month.

A shameful ripoff yes, but not 7500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

dont u need a buisness line to avail of the cap free service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wiredtothemoon

the i-stream enhanced (1024/256) adsl will be uncapped, i don't know if it will be available to homes or business-only though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by kamobe

The graphics design would be a good example, or any job related to multimedia and programming.

What does everyone else do with dsl? Download movies, music, whatever. Transfer mass amounts of important material between clients, who cares???

By movies and music, I'm sure you don't mean copyrighted material??? That would be illegal, wouldn't it?

The problem is that Ireland OFFLine can't really use business examples to make the case for residential (non-business) users, can they? There's unmetered DSL business deals available from eircom, after all - so if you want a business service, you pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

if you have to work from home or work from home part time. Or connect from home to your place or work and transfer files, or do some work at home and transfer it to your place of work then i'd imagine business examples would be relevant.

If you carry the odd bit of work home from time to time you don't want to be worrying about shyte.

For recreational usage that wouldn't breech any copyright laws a very GOOD case can be made for us speaking out against a cap.

Streaming media/video/radio
    Gaming demos/patches/online play
    Movie trailers/promotions
    Legal music
    linux distros and other ISOs
    Downloading trial and shareware software
    Browsing/maintaining a website

I gaurentee you it is EASY to break the cap, if not double the cap by doing all these very legal things.

.... the list goes on. The primary idea of broadband is to enable this new range of services that previously were not available to users on modems like streaming media..... And if they're going to start charging per megabyte then they're defeating the purpose of this new technology and they're curtailing the experience of using broadband and sinking to a new low. They'll certainly be unique with their 3gb cap in all of europe. I think we should make this a really big issue.

Affordable broadband is what we need, not this crap.

• Advertisement

Specific to cable, but reference is made to DSL at the end

http://www.nwfusion.com/net.worker/news/2002/0408networker.html

This is the slashdot discussion about it:
    http://slashdot.org/articles/02/04/09/0222246.shtml?tid=98

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Great links pete.

Its interesting to see the debate on slashdot from the americans point of view where they are about 10 years ahead of us in terms of broadband and their perception of metered access :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've been back and forth to the Slashdot thread all day. Still only about a third of the way down the first page. Excellent commentary. Rare for Slash these days.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by longword

Eircom's original pricing structure included a cap-free 1mbit/256k service for 275 euro a month - a mere 1100 euro for a four month period, 3300 euro a year. You might even fit the 6GB capped service at 200 euro a month.

A shameful ripoff yes, but not 7500 euro.

YOu can be rest assured that there WILL be some very fine print for that option designed to squeeze even more money out of you or some sort of extra restrictive contract that home users will just not be able to handle.

After all .. this IS EirCon we're dealing with :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Felix Randel

Here dustaz

use%20of%20serivce.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Originally posted by longword

if someone over-uses the consumer product thats how much they pay! just because it would've been cheaper for them to pay for the uncapped business product doesn't mean eircom will be nice and give them extra bandwidth because they downloaded too much.

if someone over-uses the consumer product thats how much they pay!

If someone overuses the consumer product they're an idiot*.

The fee schedule may be a lot of things like unfair, extortionate, unreasonable etc - but it is also clear. People will know exactly what they're getting into.

*unforseen virus / mailbomb related events excepted, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

*IF* a residential line can sign up for the uncapped service, then obviously only a fool would download the excess being talked about. But I was of the impression that the uncapped service was for business users only. In which case someone like me on a residential line, wouldn’t be able to sign up for.

And going around the full circle again, a 3gig cap (imo) is FAR too low.

I am open to correction on the availability of the uncapped service. And even if it is available to residential users, €200+ , still too much to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

It's very easy to go over 3 without downloading anything illegal:

I like playing games, for instance, I usually download demos of games, video footage of games ang things like that...
    Then, I would play alot of computer games online... some dont take up much bandwidth, but some do...
    Then I would probably download one or more linux ISOs, ...
    And there's also sites like mp3.com that have thousands of legal and free mp3s.

Then you have things like video conferencing, voice coferencing, remote administration apps, etc that take up alot of bandwidth.

Anyway, it's really easy to use up 3 gigs in less than a week with things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Oops, I wrote the same thing as m1ke.... I should have read the thread before posting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

putting this sort of cap on the product is defeating the purpose of having the product in my opinion. Broadband.... supposed to take us into the future and do things on the internet that we can't do at the moment. This sorta cap will let us do those things, yes it will let us do them for about 25 minutes a day and no more.

Advertisement