Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aertels Television Listings

• 07-04-2002 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

it has happened me twice this week. i will have a look and see what film if any is on so i can watch it when i go to bed but the start times are all wrong and the films end between about half an hour and an hour before what Aertel says. i wish someone would fix this. is this a common thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Another thing that pisses me off is that they change the tv listings over to the next day at midnight, so you cant see whats on between midnight and 6am. I like a late film on RTE 1 but can never get the listings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that really gets at me too. page 180 is the best you can do with that. pages 182 and 183 give you a rundown on what films are being shown. also what has happened to listings for the next day. they used to be on 390 but that is taken over by a video games section. i will be using TV3 text from now on. Aertel is a disgrace

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

..until it's on Sky with EPG listings. Oh, how handy that will be!:)

Originally posted by irishbyte
    ..until it's on Sky with EPG listings

of course but that will be no good to me when i am in my bed at 1am on my way to getting some shut eye. i'll have to buy the RTÉ Guide :eek: which has been bought twice in the last 6 years for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oh for the love of God don't buy the RTÉ Guide.

Since its relaunch last week, its more and more like Woman's Weekly than ever before.

It was bad before then, but they perfected it.

May I recommend Digiguide, an offline TV listings program for PC's? Only costs £5stg per year (or 3 and a bit RTE Guide's.)

PM me for more details! (wary of spam police :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Used to use Digiguide (and I had a review of it on ICDG at one time). But it tend to be rather unstable, maybe it was just my computer, but it had a habit of crashing just when I was downloading new listings. I really couldn't bring myself to pay for what was such an unstable product, at the time anyway...

I notice with the new RTE Guide, they have halfed the space they give to RTE listings. (In fact, they used to give RTE 1 and N2 a whole page each for Saturday and Sunday). Noe every channel gets a quarter page every day.

Threetext give details for each programme, which is good, but makes for more pages.

The best kept teletext secret BTW, must be BBC's listings of RTE programmes on Ceefax P609. If you have the patience to wait through 9 pages though...

Originally posted by icdg
    Used to use Digiguide (and I had a review of it on ICDG at one time). But it tend to be rather unstable, maybe it was just my computer, but it had a habit of crashing just when I was downloading new listings. I really couldn't bring myself to pay for what was such an unstable product, at the time anyway...

I cant recommend it enough. V. 4 was known for its instability on Win 95 or 98, but I have V.5 running on my home win2k machine. I was wary too Ronan, but as it has improved, I began to pay for it. Excellent for programme reminders and description.
    If you download all the channel info, 2.3MB every Friday lunchtime, and I have the listings up to Friday 19th, a week ahead of any magazine.

Hell, here's the link. www.digiguide.com :)

Originally posted by icdg
    The best kept teletext secret BTW, must be BBC's listings of RTE programmes on Ceefax P609. If you have the patience to wait through 9 pages though...

Yeah Ronan,
    Found that very handy untill the NI analog text was taken off Sky digital!
    I wonder if I poped a mail off to the nice people at BBC Wales would they include it in their TV listings-their colleagues in Belfast could set it up for them-simpler still if all that is done from London?
    For the many 100's of BBC Wales analog viewers who also have RTE here in the South East :)
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Folks,

I've had Digiguide for a couple of years. During the first three or four months it crashed a couple of times, but their online help sorted it out.

Since then it's been 100% stable (I guess the fact that it's now on version 5.0 helps), and it's the best money I've ever spent on just about anything.

When you download the new listings on a Saturday you've got two weeks listings, really easy to search through, easy to add favourites, easy to set reminders, easy to change channel line-up and easy to customise.

I used to buy the Radio Times most weeks and the TV Times occasionally, but they pale in comparison to Digiguide. Radio Times doesn't even have listings for Radio6 Music for God's sake !!

Digiguide has complete listings for all the Irish and UK terrestrials, and all the satellite channels that you could be interested in, with comprehensive programme details.

You're also not paying for crappy interviews, horoscopes, knitting patterns or any other rubbish that you could just as easily get free on-line.

In fact the only thing I can think of that's missing is listings for Irish radio, and I'd imagine they'll start listings soon for the 4 radio stations starting on Sky Digital.

Sorry to sound like an evangelist, but I really think it's a great product.

P.S. Their online TV Guide is very good too. Once again you can set your channel line-ups and favourites etc, and it will remember them each visit.

I've only had digiguide for an hour or so and I already agree with everything Charles has said:)
    Thanks Damo for the suggestion:)
    mm

• Advertisement

i have tried Digiguide before on a months trial. i agree it is excellent but i need something beside by bed. the PC is in another room so that rules it out. can anyone recommend a decent television listings magazine that comes free with a newspaper oris available to buy on its own. of the ones i have seen they are dedicated to the BBC's and ITV and give RTÉ a little piece in the corner of the page. any suggestions

Looks like you need two then :(

TV and Satellite Week give the best Digital listings in a magazine, but don't have RTÉ.

But as the RTÉ Guide has gone completely effeminate, The Irish Times Magazine on a Saturday is the best for that, or The Sunday Times' Culture section. The Guardian's The Guide on Saturdays is very good, as it gives all the ITV regions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I've noticed over the last couple of months that Aertels listings in general aren't what they used to be..........more and more mistakes creeping in, and pages not displaying quite a bit (e.g. page 1 of 2 displays and then skips back to 1 instead of showing 2)..........

I was looking at the football scores on Saturday and they had Leeds 0-0 Sunderland, the only thing being that the match was on Sunday instead..........

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    The Irish Times Magazine on a Saturday is the best for that, or The Sunday Times' Culture section. The Guardian's The Guide on Saturdays is very good, as it gives all the ITV regions :)

thanks for that. i'll give them a try over the next 3 weeks and see which one is the best for me

The Indo's Saturday Weekend magazine is good too, even if it is really the Daily Mail's one re-edited for the Irish market. (Come on, it has "Ulster" at the top of the UTV listings!).

After the positive reviews here I may well go back to Digiguide. It was indeed v4 on Win 95 that I was using (v2 and v3 were free, and did not have so much problems). And it did crash quite a lot (especially FETCH.EXE) . I will have to try before buying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Isnt Digiguide free?

Dont you only pay if you want to?

You read the Daily Mail? Ronan! :D

The fetch.exe was also a problem for me in v4, but v5 is sturdy :)

Digiguide is free for a month, 30 day trial, but I signed up for a 5 year sub, at a cost of £25stg. :D

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    You read the Daily Mail? Ronan! :D

No!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course not. (Nor the even worse Daily Telegraph). But I did happen to acquire a copy of their Saturday magazine one day (okay, in a relation's house) and one look at their TV listings format was enough to let me know that it was them the Indo were using as the base for their Saturday magazine.

For the record, I read the Irish Independent and Irish Times, occassionally the Hearld, and on Sundays the Tribune and SBPost. When visiting England, the Guardian and the Times are the papers I read.

P.S. New radio station Newstalk 106 is great! Well, the David McWilliams show anyway. Just like the Last Word except in the mornings. Spent 20 mins talking about pay TV today...

The Torygraph isnt that bad, I used to read the Torygraph.... Henry Winter and their cricket coverage was good when CMJ was there, he then moved to The Times

But I read The Guardian, as its the best for media news, no question. And its politics are not as sharp as the others. My other papers of choice are The Irish Times, and The Observer, The Sunday Business Post, The Sunday Tribune and The Sunday Times

I get the Irish Independent on Thursdays, only for the job section! :D

I listened to Newstalk 106 until 7:30am..... McWilliams gave waaaaayyy too many name checks!!

Yes, he had a tendancy to interrupt an interview for no apparent reason to say "You're listening to Newstalk 106 FM, this is David McWilliams talking to...", the use in the short bulittens of "Essential Sport" "Essential Travel" "Essential Weather" got me annoyed. And I'll kill the next person I hear the phrase "Twenty Twenty News" from (a person I my house thought that was the name of the station!).

But we're getting way off topic here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Slightly back on topic, why the heck is some of Aertels services on wrong channels? IMO, Top 30 Charts, Music, cimema, gamezone, etc should be on N2 which is aimed at younger audience and stuff like Oireachtas, revenue, RTE merchandise, etc should be on RTE1. Does anyone else think that?

As for RTÉ Guide, I reckon it's a waste of money except for mebbe the Xmas issue. Nearly all weekend papers now have a weeks TV & Radio listings supplement. And you get to read news and sports in the paper as a bonus!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes the young stuff on Aertel should be on Network 2 makes sence.

The RTE guide is a magizine sin e, Not a bad as TV Now which you can read in 5 seconds.

The Irish Time's Magazine on Saturdays is the best out of the lot of them, pity the got rid of the today tonight section. (The New look RTE guide is very like it)

Also notice how the RTE guide is now just the GUIDE with RTE in very small print above the U. (RTE not very proud to be RTE anymore)

Advertisement