Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best mobo/cpu combo?

• 07-04-2002 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new mobo/cpu, and i'm just wondering what is the best one to get at the moment. It will mainly be used for gaming. I'm looking for a price v preformance comparison.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

probably an athlon XP 1800+, kr7-133 (raid version if u want to put more hard disks on), and a gef3 ti200, 256 of pc2100 ram would make a fairly mean and relatively cheap machine.

Would recommend getting a nice big case with a 300w psu with it, you'd save alot of money going for that than trying to go for a competing p4 variant with the same performance (rdram needed really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Go for a SL-75DRV4 or even a SL-75DRV5 (Soltek)though the v4 is proven the v5 is still very new and i would wait to see what bugs fall out first if any :).XP 1800 or even a XP1900 they are dropping in price almost weekly.One thing alot of people over look is the case think of it this way get a good case and you can have it for life (more or less).Ive built a couple of systems using the Soltek board and ive never had any problems with them be warned they have a good few dip switches on them :).
    check em out here.

http://www.soltek.de/English/home/01.htm

Stone:D

ps anyone know of a really good really quite Heatsink+fan (from actual experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by astrofool
    a gef3 ti200
    Personally I'd wait for the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I wouldn't recommend Abit..unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking. They have all the features. I recently bought a KR7A-RAID and I've been getting nothing but memory dumps, system hangs and unexplained restarts (WinXP)

I've heard good things about the new MSi K7n420. Coupled with a nice Nvidia card, running at 6x AGP...it should do the trick :)
    Personally I'd wait for the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to come out.

Thats the GeForce 4 Ti4600...and it already is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

There is a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 comming out , cheaper than Ti 4600

I also have the Abit KR7A not a bad board i was getting a couple of system restarts but nothing major

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kyro
    I've heard good things about the new MSi K7n420. Coupled with a nice Nvidia card, running at 6x AGP...it should do the trick :)
    8x you mean?

Or the 4200, which is out later.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ti4200/default.asp

YES

The special edition GF3 TI 200 (128mb) cards running about at the mo suposed to be really pretty gold heatsink and stuff :) havent anything on them performance wise yet though:D.

Stone

g321se.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Stonemason
    gold heatsink and stuff :).

is that a bit expensive...:)

Not compared to the diamond incrusted ones :)

Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

personally, i'd go with the AMD XP 1900+, 512 DDR memory, the abit board and a gf4 4400.
    the gf4 4400 *is* essentially the gf4 equivalent of the gf3 ti200
    it also represents the best value for money.

reasoning behind the abit board : you gotta get techy at some stage : D, valuable life skills etc

• Advertisement

the gef4 ti4200 IS the equivelent to the Ti200, it's out in a couple of weeks.

Ti200's are going cheap right now though, and if you were offered the choice of a Ti200 and a Gef4 mx, which would u choose ?

no, he means AGP6x, which is what the onboard (crap bandwidth) graphics run at on an nForce board (100mhz instead of 66mhz for the agp bus, it's still 66 with an external card).

Had no problems with abit boards myself, try turning the memory timing's down a bit, will most likely fix that, the Abit's are more tweakable, but need good memory to do it, it's not the board's fault, the memory can't keep up, i added active memory cooling and it's been solid as a rock with 3 dimm's full (1 gig) at most tweaked settings. Try lowering the CAS latency, or changing command rate to 2T (1T WILL crash with lower quality memory).

A good motherboard is worth it in time saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

i added active memory cooling and it's been solid as a rock with 3 dimm's full (1 gig) at most tweaked settings.

What is active memory cooling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

strapping one of those metal plates over the dimm with the heatsinks attached to the top with a fan (hence 'active') pushing air through. Has lost relevance today as just about any cooling solution needs a fan. Might have meant something a few years back when you had a Pentim100 with a solid heatsink....

no, he means AGP6x, which is what the onboard (crap bandwidth) graphics run at on an nForce board (100mhz instead of 66mhz for the agp bus, it's still 66 with an external card).
    I'm not too sure about what you say is actually the case, but definitely it's not running at AGP 6x (whatever the hell that is, considering the fact that you can only feasibly double- quad- or octuple-"pump" the bus) with an external card. Which is what they said, right here.

Coupled with a nice Nvidia card, running at 6x AGP...it should do the trick

it's not a standard it's an acronym. it runs at the speed AGP6x would run at if it was ever a standard. i.e. if they changed the spec of the AGP bus to 100mhz instead of 66mhz, agp 4x would be 6x, 2x would be 3x, 8x would be 12x.

And yes it is the case, nvidia did it to improve performance slightly with the onboard graphics, (not that AGP does make a huge difference), nice marketing ploy, read a few of the in depth reviews on the nforce, the initial ones, anand or tom did them afaik. It's just an overclocked bus, but nvidia built in from the start to run at 100mhz.

He just got it wrong anyway about adding a card in, and it being 6x.

8x will be out soon, but will probably be as meaningless as 4x was, most cards still run in 2x mode when driver's/bios aren't set right, and the frame rate difference is usually less than 1fps. Marketing ploy really :)

tho the CS heads seem to think 4x is the holy grail when trying to get more fps :rolleyes: "my friend told me..."

Not only are you clearly wrong, but you're trying to prove your point in the most pedantic (and incorrect) way possible.

Uh oh, it seems like:
    pedanticman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wouldn't recommend Abit..unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking. They have all the features. I recently bought a KR7A-RAID and I've been getting nothing but memory dumps, system hangs and unexplained restarts (WinXP)

I agree, Abit are crap.

John

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1535&p=2

look for this line:

The IGP also has an internal AGP bus that can be clocked at 100MHz (instead of the 66MHz clock for normal AGP buses) for transfer rates equivalent to an AGP 6X mode.

This page was clearly made for JustHalf

This is the "kinda-like" pseudo-science crap that pisses me off.

It's speed is 4x the AGP bus speed. It's closer to 4x AGP than 6x AGP in this regard (as it's not 6x anything, but 4x the bus speed).

*sigh*

gwahahahaha

looks like we should turn that "pedantic man" into an avatar for you JustHalf

4xAGP, AGP is not the bus speed, i have never ever been able to clock my bus at AGP. 4xAGP is a standard as is 2x, as 8x will be, 6x is a way of describing an overclocked AGP bus as that's what it's transfer rate. Why the hell would I say two different things are the same and give them the same name? that's just the stupidest thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Indeed, I have an agp 3x bus on my own machine, since the agp bus is at 102 mhz instead of 66. I think overclocking the agp bus can bring more benefits than going from 2x to 4x, since the latency for small transfers is reduced.

Perhaps I should sleep more.

Confusion over up and down follows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I use the Epox 8kha+ meself, I like it! :)

Advertisement