Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Macintosh 9500/200

Options
  • 07-04-2002 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I have been using Pc's all my life and Linux for the last few years - and I've reached the stage where i've "been there done that" for almost everything.

So I was thinking - It would be fun to have a Mac to add to my network and play with - maybe run linux on it to see what sort or performance I get.

Ok so i can get a Power Macintosh 9500/200 for less than 200EURO. But I don't have a clue if that is a rip off or great deal. It has 96mb ram, 2gb hd, 200mhz processor. Onboard sound and network.

What sort of Pc would this compare to. My first reaction was somthing similar to a 200mhz but then I remembered the mac processors are different. So would that compare to a 300 or 400 mhz pc, or something like that?

oh and is there any chance that I could hook it up to a pc monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

If I'm thinking right, they were the models just before the G3's (I could be completly wrong), so €200 ain't bad.

I'd say It'd compare nicely to a 300/400Mhz PC.

Pretty sure you can get mac-vga connectors. Can't think where at the min though...

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

http://www.bigbearsound.com/

Great place in Dublin, Ringsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

As I recall that model was based on the 604e chip which ran at up to 350MHz, anyway it's the equivelent to about a 280-290Mhz Pentium, wouldn't quite stretch to 300Mhz, as Macs are kinda rare second hand as Mac users tewnd to just keep their Macs then it's difficult to say a good price but €200 does seem quite reasonable, usually people ask for too much when selling Macs, at €200 it's reasonably cheap. You should be able to use it with a PC monitor (I've used an old Mac monitor with loads of different PC's without a convertor) and if not you can pick up an adaptor for about €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

My mac at home has a pc monitor with a Thingy* on it, so youll be able to do that no sweat. i would say 200 isnt a bad price for a 9500, We still have 2 of them here and there grand, seem much faster than a pentium 2 pc. You probably wont be able to put OSX on it tho.

* Technical Jargon (Also: Whatchamacalit, Hooja, yoke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

You could actually get OS X on one but it wouldn't run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement