Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Wolfenstein Ping. Please Help!

Options
  • 07-04-2002 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Hi, my friend is having trouble playing return to castle wolfenstein online.

Any server she connects to, she gets a ping of 999ms and tonnes of dropped packets, and eventually ends up dropping from the server. However in the server list and if pinged from dos, the ping is decent (about 100ms). She has DSL (in USA) and her internet connection is otherwise perfect.

Unfortunately she hasn't yet had the chance to try a different multiplayer game, so it is possible that it's not wolfenstein, but a hunch tells me that's not the case.
    She's only just installed wolfenstein and none of the default cvars have been changed.

her system is a hp pavillion 750n running WINDOWS XP.
    P4 1600
    512MB RAM
    TNT2 M64

can anyone help?

EDIT: okay, my hunch was wrong... we just threw HL on and patched it up and tried a TFC server, with the exact same results... is this an XP issue or something? any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Prolly her ISP
    As AOL seemingly dont gaurantee their DSL for games i know a few guys who got it (with other ISP`s too) and when they tried playing games were no better off then when they had 56k.
    So ask her to check out her ISP might be the same problem that AOL give .
    As XP is fine for games .
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Um, not guaranteeing something is not the same as stating there's a problem with it.

No ISP guarantees their DSL for games.

AOL are the largest ISP in the world. They may have a bad reputation but if their ISP was magically "bad at games" we'd hear a lot more bitching about it than we do. Especially if the ping was constantly over a second.

The pings from dos are about 100ms, which seems to suggest it's not the ISP at fault.

Advertisement