Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands few people have heard of (good ones)

Options
  • 07-04-2002 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

List them! Most people i know have CDs by loads of bands I hadn't heard of, so there must be plenty of them here.
    C'mon...
    I bored and I have 3 irish essays to do for tomorrrow... try me.
    I'll get the ball rolling:
    Pitchshifter
    Dead Kennedys
    Limp Bizkit (OK, this one <I>is</I> a joke.not that i'd ever listen to them)
    -
    PS: WTF has happened to my post count? I had more than this after the first week of CTYI this year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Alkaline Trio -- but they are getting more well know.
    Hoobastank -- see above.
    Dashboard Confessional
    Stabbing Westward
    American Hi-Fi
    Jimmy Eat World -- getting a lot more well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Mine!! Partly because we have no bassist and nobody would care anyway...

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by G@ndalf
    List them! Most people i know have CDs by loads of bands I hadn't heard of, so there must be plenty of them here.
    C'mon...
    I bored and I have 3 irish essays to do for tomorrrow... try me.
    I'll get the ball rolling:
    Pitchshifter
    Dead Kennedys
    Limp Bizkit (OK, this one <I>is</I> a joke.not that i'd ever listen to them)
    -
    PS: WTF has happened to my post count? I had more than this after the first week of CTYI this year!

I've hard of all of them - and he he - 60 posts

Lol, ah yes. E-commerce 2001. Whilst Edna tried to teach us ever so complicated HTML and Java, we abused Boards.ie with useless SAPM!!! Not spam - SAPM! And Hugh came up with the name for the doomed CTYI Bored. And other stuff, but yes, we abused Boards.ie except I can't remember my old username so I lost my 200+ postcount, ah nevermind. The mods were slightly less than amused by our ramblings and SAPM though. Ah, memories ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

ok first off, Hugh, Dead Kennedys split ages ago, their lead singer left but the rest of the band created a new band and are now scamming ppl out of their money by going around advertising their tours as Dead Kennedys but it ain't them

BOB!!
    I introduced u to Hoobastank, Dashboard Confessional and to the rest of Jimmy Eat World's greatness(PS: did I mention Jimmy Eat World were also voted the gr8est every band in the first every Dermo awards!!), and Stabbing Westward split, well I think

and other bands:
    Promise Ring(Playing with Jimmy Eat World on the 23rd May in the Ambassador)
    Fuel(LISTEN TO THEM!!)
    Jimmy Eat World
    Incubus(well they are getting bigger)
    Get Up Kids
    Jimmy Eat World
    Craig's Brother(just started listening to them myself)
    New Found Glory
    Jimmy Eat World
    Puddle Of Mudd

that will be all for now, oh yeah and listen to Jimmy Eat World, THAT IS AN ORDER!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

oh yes, I nearly forgot, JIMMY EAT WORLD

ps. I forgot to add Michelle Branch to that list, she ain't a band, but she's got one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Type O Negative!
    Type O Negative!
    Type O Negative!

um.... TYPE O NEGATIVE!

www.typeonegative.net

and... popular many moons ago but not anymore Jethro Tull.

um... Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets (go on - somebody tell me they've heard them! and if anyone can find an album by them over here tell me where)

... i'm tired... go away and i'll tell you more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Third Eye Blind

very few ppl have heard of them over here, fairly big in America tho...in my opinion best band in the world....listen to them god damn you!

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Isolation

...gODHEAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

An underground english rock group called "CUD" they were musically and lyrically very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

the magnetic fields

paul o'reilly

josh ritter

joy division (although more people than i suspect do know them..)

will oldham/bonnie prince billy/palace brothers

the breeders, and speaking of whom ...

..the pixies (although maybe they're kind of obvious..)

the jimmy cake

oh gosh and Nick Drake!

... wowsers that's a list of pretty amazing artists (I really hope they're all better known than I think, they certainly deserve to be!) ...

bubbles from me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

I have a Jethro Tull +iron butterflies t-shirt from years ago when they came to alaska. my parents went! wow. they are old. anyways, Jimmy Eat World was on SNL last night. It was great. gotta love 'em.

Some alaskan bands that are super super superduper good. i'll bring their cds over session 1 :

The Roman Candles
    The Audreys
    7/10 Split
    Subconscious

they are splendiferous. i also like the Ataris and dashboard confessional. WOW!THIRD EYE BLIND!!! thats amazing. yeah they were really big here about three years ago! And alaska is behind on everything! well, not as much anymore, but pretty behind.

Jethro Tull were famous as the band that refused to play the original Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Dara are very good to mellow too

oh and picture house.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I don't know how well known generally these bands are (the only ones I could think of without going down to look at my cd's :)), but myself and my friends are the only people around here who've heard of them anyway...

Berkeley
    Grandaddy
    Mogwai
    Gomez
    The Sultans of Ping (ahhh,Where's Me Jumper?....hehheh,quality)
    The Smiths
    Jimmy Eat World
    ...that'll do for now... ;)

David,I have to say that based on my brief experience of Bonnie Prince Billie (I only have one album - I See A Darkness), I'm not a huge fan. There were only one or two songs which I actually liked :s

ooh! i've just realised that not half enough people listen to kittie due to this sort of perception that "girls playing rock" = "girlie rock music" which is WRONG!

Also Manowar

And my uncle knows Picturehouse and sometimes plays with them... i may ask him for autographs sometime... yes... >)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

yes, nick drake is truly wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i can only think of singers for now,such as

paddy casey
    damien dempsey
    tom mc rae

ooh!a band
    the wallflowers(or are they well-known??0

the sultans of ping must die,preferably at the hands of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Type O Negative!
    Type O Negative!
    Type O Negative!

um.... TYPE O NEGATIVE!

YES!!!

Also check: My sig.
    Originally posted by lordsippa
    ooh! i've just realised that not half enough people listen to kittie due to this sort of perception that "girls playing rock" = "girlie rock music" which is WRONG!

And to this... HELL NO!
    They blow goats
    And the only reason people listen to them at all is because they're girls.
    It's almost a novelty.
    If they were guys, they'd be nowhere.

I forgot Sugarcoma -- Kerrang! overplayed them a bit, but they do rock. Get some of their other songs not just their remake of Britney Spear's "(You Drive Me) Crazy". Anyway, Sugarcoma are a bunch of Essex girls who play pretty good punk rock. Yeah, they rock. Also, Moconium but I doubt any of you have or ever will hear of them. And Freek1512 rock aswell.

• Advertisement

ok... firstly my favourite type o negative quote:

FAN: "ok i know you guys are only joking but what do you think of satanism?"
    PETER: "ALL HAIL SANTA!"

lol

anyway: kittie - first album sucked ass! it had 2 good songs and then stunk....
    Second album (Oracle) is soooooooo amazingly fantabulistical it's unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Type O Negative F***ing rock!!

"Hippies pointing 'thats peats sister in disguise'"

Love that lyric!

Oh, dire straits! i know they're not new, but still!

Eva cassidy.......

as you can see, i have quite varied music tastes.

My mom listens to Eva Cassidy, she isn't actually that bad but she's very well known -- amongst menopausal women in anyway. How that reflects on you Neil, I don't know. :) Anyway, check your private messages dude.

ooh!

Tom Waits. he's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Tom Waits is really good. Hes been around a few years.

Aim
    Boards of Canada
    Sigur Ros
    Dead prez
    Nailbomb
    Ministry (not of sound )
    Nick Cave
    Beth Orton

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Yeah,Sigur Ros are cool...they have their own language :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yeah they do. Its called "fresh, new and talented music", few other bands are fluent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Dermo, I meant, of course EARLY Dead Kennedys.

Kittie lead singer on new album = MAN!

what about Static-X?

anyone?
    -
    Does anyone realise that I start all the "list-style" posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

i haven't heard of about 5 bands listed so far. There seem to be few surprises for you lot,but i'll see.
    1. Dashboard Prophets
    2. Eliott Smith
    3. The Longpigs
    4. Wilt (ok maybe a bit better known)
    5. Turn ( as above)

So many of the bands are beginning to become really well known. Ah how times have changed, 2 years ago i could name only one person outside my family who had heard of the frames, and one who had heard of jeff buckley....

• Advertisement

Hugh, I first heard of Static X about a year and a half ago and back then I thought they were great -- Black and White rocked my world, but since then my tastes have changed somewhat and whilst I still think they are a good band I amn't exactly "into them" as it were.

Advertisement