Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands few people have heard of (good ones)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

Originally posted by Leto
    Yeah,Sigur Ros are cool...they have their own language :)

i was told they were from ...sweden, i think. that might explain the language. but i cant check, i dont speak swedish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Hugh - old Dead Kennedy's ROCKED!!!

Leto - yup Berkeley are pretty cool

Static-X are cool too

also add to my long list Lost Prophets for those of u who haven't heard them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some not-very-well-known american singers/bands:

Kevin Tihista's Red Terror
    Adam Schmitt
    The Reputation
    Allen Clapp
    Jeff Kelly

Some great scandinavian bands...

Soundtrack of our Lives
    The Margarets
    Acid House Kings

Other misc bands/people:

Josh Rouse
    Freedy Johnston
    Tanya Donnelly
    Pony Club
    Pina
    Woodstar

Bought alot of these CDs lately, and love 'em all !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Originally posted by yellum
    Tom Waits is really good. Hes been around a few years.

Ministry (not of sound )

Nick Cave
    Ok... Comments on each:

Tom Waits been around since early 70's when he did Closing Time.

"Jesus Built my car..."

I LOVE NICK CAVE! Cept PLEASE call the band it's proper name...

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds.
    <love those guys>

And what about Captain Beefheart? He turned down a collaboration with U2 saying "tell bongo or whatever he's called that we're not interested." - now that's style.

Yeps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Spy, Good Charlotte -- both are excellent bands. Download Good Charlotte - The Little Things -- that song fscking rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by lordsippa

Tom Waits been around since early 70's when he did Closing Time.

I'm slowly building up my Tom Waits collection. So far I have:
    Closing Time
    Franks Wild Years
    Mule Variations
    Small Change
    Swordfishtrombones

"Jesus Built my car..."

"Jesus built my hotrod." :p On that same album (Psalm 69) they sampled george bush (snr) and created a damned fine tune called New World Order. Its really good. One of my favourite albums.

I LOVE NICK CAVE! Cept PLEASE call the band it's proper name...

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds.
    <love those guys>

How about I say Nick Cave* because some of the tunes are not with the bad seeds. I think he still does that music festival down in West Cork every year. Would love to see him play.

And what about Captain Beefheart? He turned down a collaboration with U2 saying "tell bongo or whatever he's called that we're not interested." - now that's style.

Thats class alright, though I do think Bono is a good song writer. Hes a media whore however. I have heard of captain beefheart but never heard him, if you know what I mean. I always mix him up with captain sensible from the damned.

I'll download some of his stuff and will listen before I buy. The joys of access to an e2 line.

Mahotée: Sigur Ros are from Iceland so its some scandanavian dialect they speak.

Ok... i was quoting from the song - i've only heard that and one other song by them... really should get more of their stuff.

"Jesus built my car, it's a love affair - mainly jesus. and my hotrod." ;p

tom waits side of things:
    Mule Variations (first one i get)
    Raindogs
    Closing Time

I really wanna get Pale Rider and Bone Machine. and all the other ones. but for some reason i really want those.

Captain Beefheart wise i only have one of his albums. It's fun but i'm too busy trying to build up the other areas of my collection i keep neglecting him.

Also, i really keep meaning to get some Frank Zappa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If you seriously want to hear some more Ministry tunes pm me.

I have two Zappa albums, but I'm not really into Zappa.
    The albums are: Return of The Son of Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar and Strictly Commercial

Bonemachine I too would like to hear due to there being a Pixies song with the same name. I'd ideally like to hear all Tom Waits stuff. He's written some great tunes.

I really like this thread. :) Most of the suggestions on it are new to me.

oh and ppl, go listen to Craig's Brother!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

audience. they had one album (as far as i know) sometime in the seventies including a wonderful version of 'i put a spell on you'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

lifehouse - absolutley brilliant band, dunno if their album is out over here i bought it in the states last summer and everyone is copying it off me

three doors down

aimee mann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by Dermo

also add to my long list Lost Prophets for those of u who haven't heard them yet

OH YES!
    Aideen will back me up on this one... They rule!
    Kobrakai (no.5 on the album)
    YESSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ceewa, Lifehouse and three doors down are both brilliant band.

Love the song "Kryptonite" by three doors down.

Lost prophets are brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

lostprophets are so good i might have to marry them

lifehouse are cool,at least what i've heard of there stuff seems cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

bought a "Feeder" album today, and it's dead good :)

<< Fio >>

Ok... i'm really sorry to do this but it just has to be said...

Feeder are quite frankly crap my dear.

more bands::

Spineshank(they've been around for a while just haven't hit it off over here)
    Soil(that Halo song kicks ass)

a question, am I weird for liking bands like Soil(loud screaming fast paced types), Lost Prophets(nu-metal style), Jimmy Eat World(emo), Michelle Branch(pop-rock) and Craig's Brother(just plain rock)?

smiles, Feeder's drummer died a couple of months back -- he hung himself. Lovely, eh? What album did you get? Echo Park is probably their best, Feeder rock in general though.

lordsippa, blasphemy! Feeder rock!

Dermo, Soil suck -- Halo is basically loud banging and shouting. Ugh!

Oh, and Jesse James rock! Listen to Jesse James - Shoes!!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THEM!!!! AFTER TOUTING THEM TO EVERYONE AND THEN WATCHING THEM LOSE THEIR RECORD DEAL FOR LOW SALES AND YELLING AT PEOPE FOR NOT BUYING THE ALBUM I FORGOT TO MENTION THEM!!!!!

Beautiful Creatures....

picture this: Take classic AC/DC and Guns N' Roses and give them guitars tuned like most nu-metal bands do (unfortunately) and then give them a singer who sounds like he's been gargling gravel but also has echoes of Axl... it's like Appetite For Destruction... but kinda "nu"er... it's really good though! The best examples are "1AM", "Wish" and "Wasted"... shows their range best...

Anyway... also check out Slash's Snakepit. And I don't only like this cause i love slash... really... um... do. now. "Ain't Life Grand", "Neither Can I", "Life's Sweet Drug" and "Just Like Anything"... great band...

Um... If anyone can tell me how to get Duff's stuff over here? it's not in any shops dammit! i want...

Originally posted by Alk3
    lordsippa, blasphemy! Feeder rock!

You silly, silly child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Admittedly I've only heard one of Feeder's songs (Just a Day) but I have to say it was a damn good song!!

Pity 'bout their drummer.

}:>

lordsippa, you know not of what you preach until you have heard Insomnia, We Can't Rewind and other such excellent pieces of music.

I HAVE heard them. A friend of mine used to be massively into them and played them all the time and they suck monkeys! So HA!

And if I ever hear Insomnia again i'll kill whoever plays it! And it's not the dance song i'm thinking of either before you assume such.

Now admit to your lack of taste in this regard and be spared a slapping.

<in fairness, i don't hate feeder as much as many other things, but it really annoys me how people harp on about them and bands like beautiful creatures fall by the wayside!>

I don't preach about them or try and force them onto everybody, in fact no-one knows I listen to them really -- I just like them. And they rock! :)

But... but... they're so AVERAGE! i mean, there's nothing to mark them out from the other million or so grunge bands out there.

They don't come close to Nirvana, or Soundgarden. And yes, i know that they aren't quite the same as either of those, but they're much more like a cross between Nirvana and Travis and lets face it, it works but it's not all that interesting.

Or maybe i just have a short attention span for songs that sound the exact same.

Feeder cannot be placed in any gender, they are Feeder. They cannot be painted with the same brush as ANY other band in existence, they are special. Simple.

You. Are. Wrong.

Lol, I amn't gonna continue this as it is going nowhere. I like Feeder, you don't.

THANK GOD you decided to say that!

Now i can admit to being in a grumpy mood without seeming to like Feeder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

"suck monkeys"-that's a cool phrase.i may have to steal it

i think feeder are ok but i'm not mad about them.

Advertisement