Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands few people have heard of (good ones)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Originally posted by qwidgybo
    "suck monkeys"-that's a cool phrase.i may have to steal it

Noo!! Don't do that! That's a Paul (I mean Gary (I mean George (I mean... aah))) phrase!!

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

They Might Be Giants, I amn't sure how famous this lot are but they are the band who do the theme song for Malcolm in the Middle -- some top notch ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ian, sucks monkey's has been in use since before george learned to talk all those months ago (how many is it? seven now?). Think of the literal meaning: "Sucks" as in to suck; "Monkey's" plural of monkey - animal, also slang for pe..s. => Sucks Monkey's = To suck pe..s'.
    Now would george be smart enough to come up with that?

<no offense george btw, this is all just a joke... albeit a long running one>

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

umm...george....?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Shoeless Ailbhe

Well to change the subject and relieve all the tension about Feeder etc,

Anyone heard of Big Fat Snake, coz they rock, and they sing about apples and oranges and they're pretty cool.
    Saybia ( My new fave band) just open a can of whup ass on all the others!
    Letters to Cleo.... they did most of the soundtrack for ten things I hate about u. And even if u don't like the movie, listen to them all the same.
    Smash mouth..... Shrek soundtrack. Everyone should know them
    DAD... oldish, probably known but still damn good.
    Furry Village..... they're Irish! They're brilliant! Try to get to one of their gigs, coz they're very rare and always very packed!
    Full Sox...... They rock. Muchos Rockos.

Oooh and Matt Wilder who's rerelease is being rereleased on the 26th and I'm on it!! Yay me. You can't even hear me but there you go..... we get to go on TV on the 26th. On the riveting chat show.... Pat Kenny. Speaking of which,
    did u hear the song about him. I dunno who sings it, but it goes " Ooooh, I wish I was 20 for you Pat.....Pat Kenny!!"

Its quite hilarious.

Yeah, SAYBIA KICK ASS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

another monkey reference of the type is "sucks monkey nuts." sompler, but also good. it was a favorite of my friends and i in sixth grade ( oh dear god, i still talk about it and it will soon be four years ago.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

mundymundymundymundymundymundymundymundy!!!!
    he is the coolest!!

and i thought of some others,are these well-known??
    snow patrol
    bellx1(well,they probably are)
    powderfinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

oooh. the frames.....BBC2 at 10pm tonight!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

Semisonic, Good Charlotte, Fenix*TX (although quite a few people know of these), Alkaline Trio, Smokescreen, American Hi-Fi, The End and finally Jettingham. Mentioned some of these before, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Sven, cut down the sig size a little.

A

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

No offence Adam but there are longer Sigs than Sven's.
    Is it cause he posts so much?

There are a couple of reasons actually:

A) Yes, its because he posts so much
    B) Because it has a white background and clashes with my boards skin, and therefore makes itself much more obvious
    C) Because its technically too big anyway
    D) Because its inanely boring

A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Why do people ever get into arguments over how certain bands are better? its as much point as an argument that begins"My dads better than your dad!"

At the moment i'm listening to lots of oldies

Phil Collins
    Genesis
    Dire Straits
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Paul Simon
    Bob Dylan
    Etc.

Into much mellower music at the moment.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

my dad is great because his name is patsy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My Dads better cus people think he must be a pothead....

Ah crap, i've fallen into the trap, havent i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

my daddy's name is Leslie, and he likes to do crossword puzzles. He has bad handwriting which is good for his proffession, hes a doctor. plus, he can smush a spider with one shining fingeur.

that last bit was in a small child's voice. thats the argument my brother and i used to use in this debate in preschool. it usually won. i mean, how cool is it if your daddy can smash a spider with his pinky? seeing as theyre the scariest things in the world, especially to me as a four year old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

THE STROKES! and THE DANDY WARHOLS, PLACEBO, THE CURE, PEARL JAM, JEFF BUCKLEY, TURN, PIXIES, the breeders, MUSE, KING ADORA, the smashing pumpkins, fiona apple, THE VIOLENT FEMMES and jack off jill. placebo placebo placebo placebo PLACEBO. and king adora KING ADORA.
    the ones i like the best are in big letters. but i like them all or i wouldn'tve written them down.
    shEp :cool:

PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO
    I LOVE BRIAN MOLKO

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Originally posted by shep the malevolent pixie
    THE STROKES! and THE DANDY WARHOLS, PLACEBO, THE CURE, PEARL JAM, JEFF BUCKLEY, TURN, PIXIES, the breeders, MUSE, KING ADORA, the smashing pumpkins, fiona apple, THE VIOLENT FEMMES and jack off jill. placebo placebo placebo placebo PLACEBO. and king adora KING ADORA.
    the ones i like the best are in big letters. but i like them all or i wouldn'tve written them down.
    shEp :cool:

PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO PLACEBO
    I LOVE BRIAN MOLKO

Though you may have created a list of my favourite bands, yes placebo ARE GREAT!!! I assumed that the point of this thread was in fact to highlight the lesser-known bands?<its beginning to get quite cluttered and repetitive>. But hey, don't mind me, I’m a wee bit crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I've been listening to the hippy within so...

Everyone! Listen to Gong!
    AND
    Mother Gong!

um... anyone else know good hippy stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

They Might Be Giants indeed are kings, but the less said about Malcom in the Middle the better. It's just not there thing at all, God knows how they wound up doing it. Tch, them and their new band members... Flood, Lincoln and Apollo 18, now there's perfection in albums.

• Advertisement

Oh, and as for other bands that no-ones heard of (although since most of the ones on people's lists are blaringly obvious ones that even I know, I'll just list half-obscure stuff I like that hasn't been mentioned yet):

Rasputina
    The Gigilo Aunts
    Harvey Danger
    Presidents of the United States of America
    "Weird Al" Yankovic

Frighteningly, three of those have done theme songs. Seems to be a recurring theme for me...

oldposts.jpg

A

Touché
    *put in his place*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

I know i'm beginning to repeat myself, but...

ZWAN!!!!!!!!!!!

and shame on you people, it took you way too long to mention the frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

let's see...
    BigDumbFace
    Inme
    American Head Charge(well, now that ozzfest's over, theyre more popular)
    Guano Apes
    Jug
    Bloom
    Godflesh
    Occupational Hazard
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    The Clay People
    Eat the Day
    And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
    Corrupted
    Gong
    Rory Gallagher
    Will Haven
    Team Sleep
    Fallen To
    Fischerspooner
    Professional Murder Music
    ****(an actual band)
    Godspeed You Black Emperor!
    Emperor
    Entombed
    Mortiis
    Dark Funeral
    Misery Loves Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

JIMMY EAT WORLD

God dammit, Jimmy rock! Anyway, more not-very-well-known-but-should-be-bands ...

American Hi-Fi
    Good Charlotte
    Fenix*TX
    New Found Glory
    Bowling For Soup
    Alkaline Trio
    Semisonic
    Left Front Tire
    Smokescreen
    Jettingham
    Lucia
    Flaw
    Rob Zombie
    Twelve Stones
    Lifer
    Sevendust
    Injected
    Andrew WK
    Fat Jabba
    Spunge
    Spy
    Stabbing Westward
    They Might Be Giants
    American Head Charge
    Emotional Joe
    Moconium
    Deviant Hate
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Midtown
    Swingin Utters
    The Casualties
    The Lawrence Arms
    Manic Hispanic
    Finch
    Avoid One Thing
    Antifreeze
    Glassjaw
    Tsunami Bomb
    Reach The Sky
    No Use For A Name
    Sloppy Meateaters
    Slick Shoes
    Taking Back Sunday
    From Autumn To Ashes
    Unsung Zeroes
    Divit
    Throw Rag
    Too Rude
    Ozma
    Madcap
    Flogging Molly
    The Briggs
    One Man Army
    Autopilot Off
    Thursday
    Kill Your Idols
    Breathe In
    The Movielife
    The Damned
    The Eyeliners
    Lagwagon
    Murphys Law
    Mi6
    Throwdown
    Against All Authority
    The Used
    Dag Nasty
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Name Taken
    Death On Wednesday
    Vendetta Red
    Destruction Made Simple
    Randy
    Pulley
    Bouncing Souls
    Beatsteaks
    Bad Religion
    Deviates
    Dropkick Murphys
    Rancid
    Death By Stereo
    Agnostic Front
    98 Mute
    Guttermouth

Phew. Yes, I did list almost every act on the Warped Tour, because (a) punk rocks, (b) almost every band on that tour rocks. Anyway, every single one of those bands are excellent. Excellent I say. Go forth and buy albums. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

You people all seem to list bands that are quite well known.Obscurity isn't your thing,huh?

Yes, however most of us (a) have known about these bands since before they were mainstream and (b) don't care if a band becomes popular as long as they still create good music. Basically, we do not say we love a band but as soon as they appear on MTV we call them sellouts because we are not sad. Oh, another thing ... Deviant Hate do not exist. I put the name in there to see which loser would clame they knew them, had met them and had given birth to their children. That loser was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

Did i say that i had heard of deviant hate? No.Did i say i had had their babies? No. I said that most of the bands listed were fairly mainstream.You seem to have entirely mis-interpreted me and got offended over nothing. I have no problem with people liking mainstream bands, i do myself, however the point of this thread as the title suggests is to talk about bands you like who aren't all that mainstream...That was all i was saying.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sorry about that but I am a bit touchy tonight. And there is not way half my list, or half Garóg's list could be considered mainstream. If you asked say, a random Dubliner on O'Connell street about one of those bands they'd probably look at yeh as if you were the devil.

Advertisement