Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands few people have heard of (good ones)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

YEAH!!!!! BAD RELIGION!!!!!!!!!!!

i was gonna go to tjat concert, but i was stuck in delphi in mayo. also, i have cash flow problems (not in getting the cash, but in getting it to flow. you'd think if you threw it in a river, but nooo...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

uh yeah macdara i knew these bands on your list:
    American Hi-Fi

Fenix*TX
    New Found Glory
    Bowling For Soup
    Alkaline Trio
    Semisonic
    Rob Zombie(w00t)
    Sevendust
    Injected
    Andrew WK
    Spunge
    Stabbing Westward
    They Might Be Giants
    American Head Charge(w00tX2)
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Swingin Utters
    Finch
    Glassjaw
    Flogging Molly
    The Movielife(kick all kinds of ass)
    Lagwagon
    Murphys Law
    Against All Authority
    Pulley
    Bad Religion
    Dropkick Murphys
    Rancid

so, not bands no one has heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I havent given a list yet mate :) that was bobs list. Even though you could pretty much take his list as mine.
    anyway lets see.

BAD RELIGION
    BAD RELIGION
    BAD RELIGION
    BAD RELIGION

Randy
    Hot Water Music (oh so very very good)
    Catch 22
    The Distillers
    The Rolling Stones (Like it or not it all comes back to the stones)
    The Cheapskates (gotta love there sencerity in "All our songs sound the same" you can get a lot of there stuff off mp3.com)
    Stone Temple Pilots ( great stuff to relax too)
    Stiff Little Fingers (you havent heard punk till you've heard Inflammable Material)
    Pennywise (I think they made it big in america, didnt do much here, but great stuff, specially the earlier stuff before they lost there main song writer)
    Me First And The Gimme Gimmes ( think Fat Mike and some of the biggest names in punk arsing around playing 70s soft rock anthems)
    Fugazi (I really should do a poll one day to see whos better known, fugazi or bad religion)
    Anti Flag (think afi but less gothy)
    AFI (punk-goth, great genre)
    and Electric Funstuff (mp3.com again, if your geeky get them, songs like "Has anybody here seen my corpse" a tribute to EQ and "Deathmatch Mama" a ode to FPS's

Now a note to fellow punks out there, did anyone else **** themselves when they saw the phrase "nu-punk" in a ad on page 5 of julys Rocksound, if _that_ word becomes widly used I'm going to start killing media jornalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

"Weird Al" Yankovic (pronounce YANKOVICK - can't stress that enough)
    Tom Lehrer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Asuka
    oldposts.jpg

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...you're both idiots.

Why i hear you ask?

Modular, for dragging up a 2 ****ing year old post!

barry, for encouraging his idiocy by giving him attention.

Q E D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Well, whaddaya know - it is two years old! How about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭larry

You sir, are a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Explosions in the Sky.

My tupence - well my friend Derry's mostly, and Asuka's right, old threads do make me feel uncomfortable, weird that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Gong's new album is so good that it has to be pimped. BUY IT!

JJ Cale is wonderful. As is Beefheart. <thinks>... Ben Harper is absolutely wonderful and not that big over here (compared to the States anyway).

And wow. What an old thread. Heh... it had that huge argument between bob et moi over feeder... and me ripping the píss out of paul!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

maharr, since i missed this olllld thread the first time round, i now have something to do for the next ten minutes. not that anybody reads ridiculously long list of 'obscure' bands anyway...

(these bands aren't obscure, just not listened to enough)

+ sleater-kinney
    + bikini kill
    + le tigre
    + poison the well
    + jack off jill
    + queen adreena
    + dEUS
    + my ruin
    + ani difranco
    + julie ruin
    + the dead milkmen
    + living with eating disorders
    + scarling
    + rasputina
    + the moldy peaches
    + daisy chainsaw
    + agsfb
    + the crocketts (seriously, go out and buy something, now)
    + babes in toyland

well, that's ten minutes of my time gone. and i know a lot less 'obscure' bands than i thought i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Hmm, all of the bands that I listen to that few people have heard of(Queen Adreena, Dasiy Chainsaw, Sugarcoma, Jack off Jill, Dead Kennedys, Flogging Molly, Napalm Death, Dropkick Murphys, Bad Religion, InMe etc.)have probably already been listed, not really bothered to look through the whole thread. In fact, the only lesser known bands I listen to not already mentioned are Rufio and X-Ray Spex, and they're not exactly great....but I love them anyway. Actually, I've realised that Bauhaus and possibly Sisters of Mercy aren't as well-known as I thought, which is a shame.

It's quite interesting to see what bands have become better known in the past two years...AFI are pretty well-known now, Anti-Flag are on their way up afaik, and loads of people have heard of Rancid and the Distillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

this is such an old thread....but feck it. Macdara gave me an album by a band that seem to not actually exist, and so i'm damn curious....anyone ever heard of Grinnspoon? i really really like the album i have, Easy, so if anyone knows anything about them, let me know, please!! also, the eels. rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

Hmmmm...

The Crayonz
    Finger 11
    Reel Big Fish
    The Undertones
    The Sultans of Ping
    The Tycho Brahae
    The Go-Betweens
    Joy Division
    Sponge
    Talking Heads
    Kings of Leon
    Josh Ritter
    The Distillers

And does anyone know the name of the band that sung the song "Ha ha ha your ex-boyfriend joined the circus"? I liked that song, didn't catch the name on Phantom. And Phantom FM 92.1 can be heard at weekends (in the greater Dublin area only), and on the web at www.phantomfm.com. Listen to it! And no, they're not paying me to advertise, dammit. They SHOULD. I do enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭larry

the crayonz? i saw them this week, they were good enough but i can't see them becoming all that successful. they also seem very obscure comared to the other names on that list. any particular reason they made your list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Peterfing

Um.... The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭malecO

Well there is this band that my friend showed me that I'm sure most of yous haven't heard of. They're called Focus and they're this dutch band from early 70s I think. The music is a sort of Led zeppelin style with some jazz and classical things thrown in. They have to be the craziest band I've ever heard. There is even yodling in some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by the_only_Ali

Josh Ritter

AARRRGH he sucks so bad. If he were Irish no one would give a sh*t about him.

Why do Irish people love bands/singers who are *not* Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

the crayonz? i saw them this week, they were good enough but i can't see them becoming all that successful. they also seem very obscure comared to the other names on that list. any particular reason they made your list?

well I can't see them becoming that successful either but they're good in my opinion, not one of my favourites but I like them.

Oh I forgot to mention Cake, the band who sung the Short Skirt/Long Jacket song. I don't know how many people have actually heard of them, have any of you guys?

josh ritter is so good live. agh i love him. and cake are... meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

the frames. cause so few people know them over here, and it's so sad that they don't. but their us tour should help a bit. (i saw them two days ago. agh! AMAZING. euphoric. words fail me. so beyond good, it was.)
    and more people need to listen to rasputina. NOW! go! yes, YOU! i mean, who doesn't love corset-wearing, cello-playing juillard drop outs?

and way to drag up a TWO year old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I know Cake.

But yeah... what use is this thread if nobody says what kinda music everything is? And why do I get the feeling that the majority of these bands are samey substandard repetitive feel-good-pop-punk/soft-rock/metal?

Originally posted by ll=llannah
    the frames. cause so few people know them over here, and it's so sad that they don't. but their us tour should help a bit. (i saw them two days ago. agh! AMAZING. euphoric. words fail me. so beyond good, it was.)
    and more people need to listen to rasputina. NOW! go! yes, YOU! i mean, who doesn't love corset-wearing, cello-playing juillard drop outs?

and way to drag up a TWO year old thread.

i agree with everything said in this post. the frames are one of the best live bands ever. and rasputina are bloody great, the few songs i have heard, i love. especially dig ophelia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Rhett Miller
    And check out the band he used to front, Old 97's.
    Rhett Miller - Our Love

Richard Wagner's letters to his lover Mathilde were a mess
    He should have quit before he had written the address
    They made love on the mezzanine her husband was his friend
    Vienna in a fugue-state working on a thing
    That when he finished it took almost seven hours to sing
    He still found time to write to her his heart-exploding words
    Our love surpassed our love so fast
    Our love's all wrong our love goes on and on
    Our love became our love by name when I wrote it to you in a song
    Our love goes on and on
    Our love our love
    Kafka in his letters to his lover Milena was alive
    But he was waiting for a love that never would arrive
    Their rendezvous was singular her husband was his friend
    She is a living fire she is a reason to live
    She is killing me burning only for him
    I'll spend my whole life loving her my heart exploding words
    Our love goes on and on
    Our love our love our love our love
    Our love goes on and on our love our love
    Our love our love our love our love our love

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Originally posted by lordsippa
    I know Cake.

But yeah... what use is this thread if nobody says what kinda music everything is? And why do I get the feeling that the majority of these bands are samey substandard repetitive feel-good-pop-punk/soft-rock/metal?

Music Nazi :p

runs and hides

Advertisement