Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats allied assult like?

Options
  • 07-04-2002 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hey guys...i'm thinking about getting "medal of honor:allied assult". i saw a clip of it on game network(skydigital) and It looks amazing. I know that looks can be desiving so I need an owners opinion...so whats the jazz?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hee hee
    The differnet opinions you gonna get on this board hee hee.
    I think it is a fantastic game well worth it for single player alone.
    The multiplayer is amazing too (in my opinion).
    All in all a very good FPS .
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Allright i've got my good reveiw and i'll give it a go-it's god damn expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Make sure you have a fast PC
    It's minimum Req. is PIII450 128mbram 16mb Video card (openGL)
    Its very fast on a PIII900 and a geforce2mx with as much ram as you can throw at it (512mb is great for this game...so...smooth)

Great Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i wouldnt recommend a 16mb card a 64 minimum .
    And also when you get it ,stick with it as the problems can be fixed.
    I hate that about PC games .
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Drunk pirate
    Allright i've got my good reveiw and i'll give it a go-it's god damn expensive

No! Don't! It's ****e. Repetitive as anything. It's basically House Of The Dead 3. €60 - they're having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm with Blitzkreiger on this one. MOHAA is a boring, irritating, repetitive load of soiled pants. And an extremely expensive one at that.

I haven't played multiplayer myself but from what my good buddy LTM says from playing it over LAN it is basically CS except with shit guns and player movements 1/8th the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Well, I think it's safe to say that Blitz is on CRACK (umm, HotD3 = cel-shaded lightgun console game with zombies; MOHAA = realistic World War 2 PC first person shooter game... YES, THE SIMILARITIES THEY ARE AMAZING!) and well, kaids is just kaids, nobody listens to him anyway :)

MOHAA is downright brilliant as a single-player first person shooter. It's let down in a few minor technical areas - and frankly they're stretching the Q3 engine, and it shows in a lot of places - but it's probably the most atmospheric, entertaining first-person shooter you'll play in a very long time. No, it's not mad skillz and fast responses; in fact they've very deliberately slowed down the action and put a dampner on the "bouncy" Quake 3 physics in order to simulate the movement of a real soldier. The weapons also err on the side of realism rather than flick-style gameplay, which frankly is a very, very good thing in a game like this which relies so heavily on atmosphere.

Multiplayer is weak, admittedly - barely worth the bother of trying out. But when you've stopped gawping at the carnage of the D-Day level or chewing your own leg off at the frustration and tension of the sniper levels, I very much doubt you'll care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

like it then rob do ya? :o

Oh, did i mention how incredibly fkin stupid the constant enemy respawning is? I remember one part where i cleared an area, moved on, and the instant i would turn my back 2 enemies would respawn right behind me. Kill them, spin around, they respawn again, spin around, kill them, spin back, they respawn...

"Hmm guys our enemies are a bit stupid... we can't release the game like this..."

"Lets just make them constantly respawn, they may be stupid but they will be endlessly stupid!"

spas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I've never noticed guys respawning.
    I have noticed, however, Soldiers coming out of hiding and/or new soldiers coming in from far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Every FPS player should have this game.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Originally posted by kaids
    Oh, did i mention how incredibly fkin stupid the constant enemy respawning is? I remember one part where i cleared an area, moved on, and the instant i would turn my back 2 enemies would respawn right behind me. Kill them, spin around, they respawn again, spin around, kill them, spin back, they respawn...

"Hmm guys our enemies are a bit stupid... we can't release the game like this..."

"Lets just make them constantly respawn, they may be stupid but they will be endlessly stupid!"

spas :mad:

on the other hand it could be an attempt to repreasent the fact that theres more troops in a german garrison than the quake3 engine can handle at once so it adds them as you go, There's only one 2 places i know where they keep coming, near the end when you trash the StG44 factory and you have to escape (which makes for a fantastic and fast-paced level) and when your trying to arty the enemy tanks at the bridge

AI niggles are rare enough and easily made up for by great set piece placement, and throwing themselves on grenades/throwing them back

fantastic game, easily the best FPS in a long, long time, atmospheric, authentic, good looking, fantastic sounding, lot o' nazi stomping fun. Empties it's bowels on RTCW

and it has Omaha, ffs, go buy it (hey, it's not my money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

got it at wkend on loan from friend [was never gona pay the crazy amount of money for it]

personally i think RTCW may have the edge for pure SCARE DA SH!T OUT YOU effects, but then MOHAA was designed to be realistic, and that it is

buy it

[Warez kiddie comment edited. You should really know better by now. -S.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i have played it and love it

[Warez kiddie comment removed. - S.]

Originally posted by theCzar

on the other hand it could be an attempt to repreasent the fact that theres more troops in a german garrison than the quake3 engine can handle at once so it adds them as you go, There's only one 2 places i know where they keep coming, near the end when you trash the StG44 factory and you have to escape (which makes for a fantastic and fast-paced level) and when your trying to arty the enemy tanks at the bridge

And an infinite supply of attack dogs too? :)

Not sure what level it was, i had escaped from some building, killed a few soldiers and an attack dog. Continued down a narrow road, got pinned down by a load of soldiers and a mounted gun at the end of the road and got attacked from behind by another attack dog. Killed the dog, turned back to look at the mounted guns, only to hear another dog coming up behind me (the INSTANT i had turned away from where the dog came from). Repeat about 10 times until i got pissed off and ignored the dog chasing me and just rushed at the enemies at the other end of the road.

ah yes, and Omaha beach landing, what a wonderfully boring and repetitive mission. die, Dodge fire, die, make way to shingle, die, go to commander, die, pick up explosive yokes, die, go to same tower yoke thru 1 gap in the fence, die, yadda, die, yadda, die, yadda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

I think it's over-rated and repetitive sh*te. Omaha Beach Landing is boring, and the game isn't atmospheric at all.

Get Jedi Knight II instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MOHaa is the best example of a fps to date. Every level plays differently. The enemy respawning is there to force you to move forward and clear out the area. If you advance forward the respawning stops. It's a very clever idea and pretty realistic. Go buy it now and avoid the disappointing jedi knight 2

Realistic my arse. MOHAA was fun for about 5 minutes then it was a chore to play. I kept hoping it would get better but it didn't, it actually managed to get worse, and then it ended very abruptly. (One of the worst endings ever, i might add).

JK2 was a much more enjoyable experience, it was fun. Not nearly as frustrating, and it was just as atmospheric imo (if you like Star Wars, i spose). JK2 multiplayer is worth some cop, aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

oohhhhhh lordy, lordy, lordy..........this thread was a bad idea...i wasn't gonna buy it when I heard it was repeditive-which i found max payne repeditive and which i hate now and then shiji said it was great!.......mmmmmmmm......desisions...i'll go with shinji..i saw some clip and it breath taking.......yeah i'm gonna get it. I love war with the guns and the blood and they tanks and-*druel*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Got MOH:AA.
    Played first level, not impressed, guns felt wrong and the graphics and enemies didnt impress me.
    Played second level, bored kept playing to get my monies worth.
    Played third level, absolute sh*te, returned game.

It's a pity they dont release DoD single player as it would own the pants off of MOH:AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I wouldnt call it sh!te but it isint as great as the magazines say it is.....I mean Half Life was brilliant cause not only did u run and shoot but u had to use every ability you had to win....MOHAA...well in my opinion FLAT! Theres no climbing or using your head how to get out of a area...its all move from one spot kill use interesting gadget move on....Of course it is wrapped up in a lovely atmospheric cover but that doesnt hide the console fps style flat gaming....I dont want tomb raider style jumps and dives (which are a pain at times) But Half-life did provide me with a feeling of making my own way out...It was meant to signal the end of get the key for the red door gaming...But all we are getting now is instead of a key a explosive and instead of a door a shingle....This isint really an improvement....I dont know what MOHAA is like online but single player can be fun for a few hours but a classic it is not......Sadly taking in most FPS at the moment seem to be taking this route i'm not sure if theres anything better at the moment....i need some fresh farts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

first off the only fps games ive played in the past three years are quake, quake3 and two games of counterstrike.

i loved this game.. multiplayer its bloody brilliant, just starting the single player at the mo... cant wait to get stuck in, if you do buy it play it on hard.. otherwise ive found it piss easy (although it is the early stages).

playable enough on a p3-600/128mb/tnt2.. ranges from 20-65fps.. 35 average, more than enough cos its hella slow compared to quake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

**** me! that's the second time I've lost that text :(
    Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    MOHaa is the best example of a fps to date. Every level plays differently.

odsg no!

every level is the same!

First of all - it's a game on rails. This is true of pretty much all FPS games, but in games like Deus Ex and Operation Flashpoint the constraints of the game are much less apparent. Some levels seem quite big and open, but in reality there's only one path through them all. Even the game's most famous level, set on a D-Day landing beach suffers because of this.
    The gameplay is more like House of the Dead, or a million other arcade shooters that all went into the west along with the Dreamcast, than Half Life. You do have some freedom of movement but you often find yourself standing still, often in a fixed machine gun position, just shooting at hordes of oncoming Germans. Even when you do find yourself in a vehicle, the vehicle follows a set path, while you….just shoot at hordes of oncoming Germans.
    The AI also leaves a lot to be desired. Opponents rush blindly at you, or stand in the middle of a corridor waiting for you, while you reload in a side-room. Guards in watch towers always behave the same way, and you're even told how to beat them.
    Others have praised the AI your squad-mates have; either rushing a machine gun position while you're pinned down, staying in cover while you blunder into no man's land, or even throwing themselves on a live grenade to save you, but I saw none of this. For the most part my squad mates followed limply along. The only person who threw themselves on a grenade was a German, who had plenty of time to take cover instead of protecting his mate who threw the grenade in the first place, and was clever enough to find cover himself.
    Any good points the game had, were more down to Stephen Speilberg, Saving Private Ryan and other war movies, than the developer's themselves. And even these are skin deep. Go anywhere on the D-Day landing beach and you'll find captains and troops having exactly the same shouted conversation. Hang around a while longer and you'll see the scripted soldiers get blown up in the same spot, time and time again, while the script loops. It seems like a big open level where you can go anywhere and do anything, but in reality there is only one way off the
    beach.
    I dare you to play this and HOTD back to back and not notice how similar they are. Compare a squad of Half Life's special forces to 2 million respawning germans and see which is harder.
    For €15 - this would be a good game. For €60? Play the demo again instead, before you go out and buy Operation Flashpoint : Gold Edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I agree with blitz/ celt / kaids the single player is nothing special. Nothing worth 60E anyway. :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blitzkrieger You dirty looking sap I said every level plays differently. I didn't say that you had complete freedom over what you do because you don't. But can't honestly say that the tank level played the same as the beach landing or the stealth missions or the on the rails jeep level or the bridge level or.... I hope you get my point. What i'm trying to say is that there is variety in the game which i haven't seen in a fps since half life. Look at RTCW it's just shoot the same nazi's over and over again.
    Also MoHaa is a completely different game to Operation Flashpoint. OF is a soldier sim. MoHaa is meant to be fun and playing MoHaa was the most fun i've had in a game in a long time. So MoHaa achieves what it set out to achieve and it may have it's faults but it being fun is not a fault unless you enough playing the dire Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

The last few levels of MOH arent fun, theyre just endless killing of respawning germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    MoHaa is meant to be fun and playing MoHaa was the most fun i've had in a game in a long time.
    In my opinion, that's what it comes down to. I enjoyed MOHAA more than any other FPS I've played in a long time (with the exception of Max Payne).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Sadly, I got bored, but I played on, expecting a whooparse ending to be sadly disappointed (greatly). HL was more fun imo and it's got better multiplayer.

If what MOHAA set out to be was 'fun', then it failed miserably imo. The game is slow, tedious, irritating and unsatisfying (FPSs generally are satisfying, there is something nice about being able to kill someone in a game). The only missions i really enjoyed were the gunnery ones and the tank ones where you basically throw caution to the wind and blow the shit out of everything. The sniper levels have to be the most irritating and least enjoyable levels i have played in an FPS in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I'm playing the game on the hard skill atm, (as I do with all new single player games I get these days), and finding it very rewarding. Taking my time at it, I'm off blowing up guns preventing allies from progressing through France. Omaha Beach was great, a nice change of pace, I had to stop playing for a while to get over the atmosphere it generated! :) I did see the scripted soldiers etc after a few tries, but that's only to be expected in a single player game of any type and complexity, remember you are all gamers, you got good at gaming because you could see through the 'surface' to the underlying code instructions beneath, you've beaten countless games because you're intelligent enough to see the patterns and solve the problems posed by the coders. This game is no different.

Also, anyone here who's played it, (or any game), on easy or medium has wasted their money.

Next time you buy a game to try out, play it on hard from word go, it's where the fun is at. :)

Luc

Advertisement