Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What we are up against.

Options
  • 07-04-2002 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The editorial comment in todays (7/4/02) Sunday Business Post by Adrian Weckler cuts to the heart of our problem.

Editor's comment .. this is not a party political broadcast

By Adrian Weckler
    Dublin, Ireland, 3 April, 2002

What would happen if Colm Butler, Brendan Tuohy, Aidan Hall and about five other senior civil servants decided to emigrate to Burkina Faso? Would Ireland be thrown into chaos in as far as its technology policy is concerned?

This is worth thinking about as Ireland goes to the polls in the next few weeks. The future of IT development depends on them.

Don't look to politicians, anyway. Last month, we tried to prepare a piece examining the policies -- in any technology-related area -- held by political parties in Ireland. It got precisely nowhere because none of them has any.

On issues such as infrastructure, e-government and unbundling the loop, there is almost nothing on paper. Or, rather, Fine Gael has some policies, but these are way out of date, such as pledging auctions rather than beauty contests for 3G licences.

The Labour Party vaguely believes in "equality" in matters such as computer literacy. The Progressive Democrats have four lines devoted to IT policy.

Fianna Fáil says it doesn't have written pledges, but asks people to examine its record in government. That record isn't bad over the last five years. There's been a good roll-out of e-government services and plenty of broadband fibre laid.

But does that have anything to do with Fianna Fáil policy? Or is it rather the work and vision of that small handful of civil servants? If it has anything to do with the party, what, then, are its aims over a next term of government?

Lest readers think this a mean-minded attitude, remind yourselves that ministers and opposition front-benchers trip over themselves to be seen as being part of Ireland's high-tech image. They give speeches lauding new technologies as crucial to our future, as if they were central in forming related policy.

Isn't it reasonable, therefore, to expect a bit of thought on the matter? Is there any senior political figure reckoned to be genuinely knowledgeable and conversant in technology policy?

There are one or two individual TDs, such as Fianna Fáil's John McGuinness and the Green Party's John Gormley, who seem thoughtful and committed on issues such as broadband. But will any greater vision be expressed over coming weeks?

Story at http://sbpost.ie/story.jsp?bottomadvert=&rightadverts=&rightnav=/common/navs/right/sponsorsnav.jsp&leftadverts=&advert=/common/adverts/top/sbmisc.html&title=FrontPage&story=WCContent;id-42366&list=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Dangger
    Fianna Fáil says it doesn't have written pledges, but asks people to examine its record in government. That record isn't bad over the last five years. There's been a good roll-out of e-government services and plenty of broadband fibre laid.

BULL$HIT!!!! Fianna Fail's record when it comes to the internet and telecommunications in this country has been absolutely disgraceful. First of all they floated Telecom Eireann at a ridiculous price and thousands lost money when the share price plummeted. Secondly, they set up the ODTR to regulate the telecoms industry in this country and gave them no powers whatsoever to actually regulate the telecoms industry properly. Thirdly, they let Eircom maintain their monopoly and continue to fleece every Joe Soap in the country out of more money. Fourth, we have yet to see full LLU in this country despite threats made by the EU to fine the government or Eircom. Fifth, we are still waiting for some form of flat-rate/FRIACO internet access in this country when most of Europe have had it for ages. And, finally, the statement above about all the broadband fibre having been laid is ludacrious because there's no point in laying lots of fibre if it's going to remain unlit.

Fianna Fail, your record regarding telecommunications and the internet in this country over the past five years has been a disgrace and you will not be getting my vote in the election.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Does this mean that people will stop blaming "those civil servants" for all our problems?

Nahh didn't think so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

This is a really major obstacle for Telecommunications in Ireland.
    Most TD's couldn't tell you the difference between the "Local Loop" and "Guadeloupe".

Thats why we expect all the members to enlighten your local TD when they arrive at the doorstep or you meet them at your local supermarket.

As as side note:
    Fair dues to Oliver Mitchell- She arrived at the house the other day- and in fairness knew a lot more than I expected- She said her 19 yr old son is harrassing her about flat-rate !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Why the hell are we bothering with TD,s the truth is they are probably looking for a life line on this teck-nology malarky from the civil servants lets get some civil servants involved then maybe something may get done.

Stone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why the hell are we bothering with TD,s the truth is they are probably looking for a life line on this teck-nology malarky from the civil servants lets get some civil servants involved then maybe something may get done.

Because you have no alternative my friend. You have two choices in a months time (if FF have the guts to follow through) -- you can vote for someone, or you can not vote. That's it, those are your choices. I await with bated breath.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

BULL$HIT!!!! Fianna Fail's record when it comes to the internet and telecommunications in this country has been absolutely disgraceful. First of all they floated Telecom Eireann at a ridiculous price and thousands lost money when the share price plummeted. Secondly, they set up the ODTR to regulate the telecoms industry in this country and gave them no powers whatsoever to actually regulate the telecoms industry properly. Thirdly, they let Eircom maintain their monopoly and continue to fleece every Joe Soap in the country out of more money. Fourth, we have yet to see full LLU in this country despite threats made by the EU to fine the government or Eircom. Fifth, we are still waiting for some form of flat-rate/FRIACO internet access in this country when most of Europe have had it for ages. And, finally, the statement above about all the broadband fibre having been laid is ludacrious because there's no point in laying lots of fibre if it's going to remain unlit.

Fianna Fail, your record regarding telecommunications and the internet in this country over the past five years has been a disgrace and you will not be getting my vote in the election.

Rant over.

HEHE. Always good to have a rant. But its better when your rant is correct!

Dou you think FF is an ISP?

Do you think the internet is the only area of telecommunications?

How can you critisize a party for lack of FRIACO, when they put in place the mechanisims to allow Friaco, but is not then taken up by the ISP's.
    I belive any ISP can ask Eircom for a Friaco access price, and eircom must give 1.

How can you hold a political party to blame for the price crash world wide of the Telecom sector? OK they floated the shares at a high level, but no-one had to buy them .When you buy shares, you accept they can rise or fall. Had they sold them too cheap, you'd moan about that too!

The OTDR is a very good idea, and has doen a good job. Yes more powers are being arranged, but give them credit for the idea.
    The eircom monopoly has been well regulated by the ODTR. I cant really see what else could be done, except breaking up Eircom, but that would not achieve anything. Sure you critise them for selling it anyway.

Again the Government cannot give you FRIACO/Broadband etc.. They can only make it possible. They have.
    BTW if all the miles of fibre was not laid they we'd be really f*cked.
    No frear of you aying a well doner there either?

We have a Gvmt that has Internet Access among other issues on its agenda. They have made themselves available to listen to views, and taken all the action that a 'free market' espousing party can do.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Do you think the internet is the only area of telecommunications?

No, but its the one that's currently most important to a successful e-economy.

How can you critisize a party for lack of FRIACO, when they put in place the mechanisims to allow Friaco, but is not then taken up by the ISP's.
    I belive any ISP can ask Eircom for a Friaco access price, and eircom must give 1.

Would yo ucare to enlighten me as to when and where they did this?
    We can, and SHOULD point a finger at the government over this one. It's their fault that this monopoly has been created and that they gave away their (and through them the tax-payers)ability to control it for the benefit of the country. They've sat on their laurels and done nothing until now because they're getting bad pr over it in the media. I think the phrase "I'm doing alright jack" springs to mind.

How can you hold a political party to blame for the price crash world wide of the Telecom sector? OK they floated the shares at a high level, but no-one had to buy them .When you buy shares, you accept they can rise or fall. Had they sold them too cheap, you'd moan about that too!

They were warned that they were setting them too hight, and they then went and encouraged the average joe-soap, whome they have been elected TO SERVE to waste money on this foolish set-up.

The eircom monopoly has been well regulated by the ODTR.

/me sniggers
    You ARE kidding right?? The ODTR have no substancial powers with which to b*tch-slap Eircom when they play bully-boy or enraged-bawling-infant. Fine example would be the debacle over the DSL wholesale pricing.

Again the Government cannot give you FRIACO/Broadband etc.. They can only make it possible. They have.

Yes they can delivery it, if they have the politcal will to do so. And no they haven't made it possible. Eircom are still holding everything up legitamitly, the ODTR still has no teeth, and we STILL don't have DSL

BTW if all the miles of fibre was not laid they we'd be really f*cked.
    No frear of you aying a well doner there either?

Moot point. We still can't access that fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I was going to respond to Xterminator's comments but Lemming beat me to it and took the words out of mouth, replying to Xterminator's comments with exactly what I was going to say, so I won't repeat.

One thing I would like to reply to is this. Xterminator said that I wouldn't say "well done" if Fianna Fail actually did something sensible to clear up this complete mess. However, as I said on a different post (regarding Esat, but the same thing applies), if we actually do get reasonably priced DSL or flat-rate access, see full LLU, the ODTR gets the "teeth" it needs to do it's job and all the other things, then I will say "fair play" to Fianna Fail, Fianna Gael, the PD's, Labour, or whoever may bring these things about. I would have no problem giving credit where credit is due but only when these things are achieved. Until then I will remain the sceptic I always was. When things are finally done to a satisfactory level, and the goals of Ireland Offline are achieved, then and only then will I give any of the parties credit. Until then, I will hold them all with contempt and disdain.

Advertisement