Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet Flatrate Access Coming Soon (so they say)

• 30-04-2001 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I just rang them and there will be a flat-rate ISDN acess similar to the service they run in the North.
    WooHoo!
    Now all I've got to do is wait. (cue scary church organ music)
    MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All of a sudden my day seems better, I just got the letter kicking me off iol nolimits so if this comes in itll be great especially the flat rate isdn. woOhOo!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

if you had of just looked at the site it tell's you there is flat rate ISDN smile.gif
    but that seems great news now, I'm sure all the esat people will be moving to UTV now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    I'm sure all the esat people will be moving to UTV now</font>

not just the esat people methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

If UTV can do it then everyone else can do it too, since they piggy back on the other isp's services (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im jsut wondering does anyone know how much line rental would ya have to pay on an isdn line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

isdn from eircon cost roughly 35 squid a month. add VAT on that and it's the bones of a hundred every bill (every 2 months)

i swithced my calls to esat recently (not snl) so i get a line rental from eircon now and the actual phone charges just from esat.

i can tell you it is cheaper to do this for some odd reason my bills added togther are like half what they would be if i only used eircon...me thinks eircon is screwing me (shock horror) somehow with per minute charging or not giving me a detailed bill or something???

on a side note, eircon called me recently to avail of some discount that i should have been getting over the last year for my isdn line. they call it EIRCON OPTIONS or something. so i said great stick it on. and she was thrilled to tell me i could have the heaviest savings plan (OPTIONS 50) cuz i use my phone so much...IT SAVED ME A WHOPPING 5 POUNDS IRISH IN TOTAL, i nearly keeled over with excitement at the incredible a heavy user like myself is being offered by eircon...what a great deal. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

thats great news but i fail to see how they can do this as any internet service in the south uses eircom lines and they will have to pay a per minute charge, i think there just waiting for llu, the 1892/1893 are teh flat rate numbers so my guess is a soon as they can use them the llu issue will be sorted, the odtr will force eircom to llu and that will be the end of it,

one problem with isdn flate rate, you still pay £40 or so last time i looked in line rental to eircom each month, so in the end you will be paying 60-70 for one channel isdn when ntl cable users get cable for £50

no matter what happens in ireland, you can be sure you going to get ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

If this happens it'll be great.
    Esat have really gone down the tubes in the last couple of months.
    If this UTV thing comes online, then i'll seriously consider getting ISDN. I don't see myself being able to get cable or adsl anytime in the next year or 2, and i don't think i'll be in the country when it finally does come in.
    Everyone is saying that ISDN costs £35 rental. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't it already cost £20/£22 for a phone line? I could really do with another line in my house. It would cut out hassles about hogging the phone. My mum would pay what she's always paid for line rental and i would pay the difference.
    I'll believe it when i see it, but i've got my fingers crossed. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

You guys don't know you are born!!!!
    try £250 per month for ISDN internet access!
    Chorus have been telling me 'soon' every time we ask when cable will be in our area. We were promised it by last Feb at the latest.

On the other hand, i had a call from some dork from market research land on behalf of Eircom, asking about internet access, and whether we wanted DSL, etc. Im like GIVE IT HERE RIGHT NOW. So maybe Eircom will get us DSL just about when it becomes obsolete.

to be honest, even if that UTV thing came in at £99.99 per month, it would still be a haaaaaauge saving. Currently my internet access is only slightly cheaper than my car

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

To all Republic of Ireland Customers Only,

UTV Internet are pleased to announce one dialup number for our Republic of
    Ireland customers: 1890 927171. No longer will you need to worry about
    separate geographic dialup numbers, just one number from anywhere in the
    Republic of Ireland. Whether you are a business or residential customer you
    will be able to access the Internet using this one number.

We feel that this will further the enhance the quality of service to our
    customers and the new number, which is billed at local call rates throughout
    the Republic of Ireland, will replace both our 1891 and the 63 separate
    geographic numbers we currently have in use. For your convenience this
    number is available now. Customers should be aware that, from 11 May 2001
    onwards, connectivity on our old numbers may result in a slight degradation
    of service so you should change your dialup as soon as possible. If you
    require any assistance with setting your dialup to the new number please go
    to http://www.utvinternet.com/number where you will find easy to follow
    instructions for the various operating systems.

If, however, you have a static IP address, please call us and we will
    advise you on the migration process.

We are also looking at new packages/dialup options using 1891 and also
    1892/1893 (these are new billing tariffs being introduced by the ODTR
    for net access) and it is our aim to implement flat rate packages in
    the Republic of Ireland as soon as possible.

Should you need any more information on this number change, or any further
    assistance, please feel free to email or call us on 1890 926111.

The number again - 1890 927171.

UTV Internet support.

www.utvinternet.com
    (UK) 0845 247 0001
    (ROI) 1890 926 111

I wonder if they'll be doing flat-rate ISDN?

biggrin.gif

And then in a moment of absolute clarity he realised that there was nothing, not because everything had ceased to exist but rather that it had never been there to begin with.
    Free Your Mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Boa

Any1 any ideas if the package for isdn is 64k or 128k? Or do u have to pay double for 128k? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

lo folks,

For what it's worth the deals you will get are going to be similar, I would think, to what we have (for a year now) in the North.

24 / 7 access here is currently 12.99 p/m at cheapest and 19.99 at dearest (add 40% for the republic pricing I will bet). OFF-PEAK un-metered access is from £8.99 to £12.99, off-peak being after 6 and all weekend. Most but not all of these packages have an idle disconnect and a timed disconnect, respectively 10 mins and 2 hrs on average.

ISDN SINGLE CHANNEL is all these flat rates support or of course modems. DUAL CHANNEL does not cost double as it cannot be got free or flat rate (cept from one company who aren't selling it yet, but promise to)

ISDN itself comes in 2 flavours, a HIGHWAY package which gives 2 analog and 2 digital lines any combination of 2 being the most you can use at a time (i.e. 1 analog and 1 digital in use is max, or 2 digital for 128k). Most of the advanced features of ISDN2e are not supported on the HIGHWAY system, cost £30 p/m with £13 free local and national calls included. The other flavour is ISDN2e which is 2 pure digital lines and supports all the features of the ISDN standard, cost £80 p/m.

Just a taster of what may be offered to ye and maybe you can guess at the possible pricing from that.

CYAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Just to correct you, there are still and have been a number of ISPs in UK that offer ISDN Duel channel access. I know alot of mates have used it. Pricing on one company was £85Stg for the year, but this has been changed since. Apart from this UTV internet has crap Hardware, anyone using ISDN should set up an account at present and try using it, the modem option from reports is bad as well.

You are all ranting on about UTV Internet, but when LLU happens, ~all/most~ ISPs will be offering flat rate access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

isdn is on flat rate from bt for single channel use, and per minute for the secound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The_Scary_Man:
    To all Republic of Ireland Customers Only,
    it is our aim to implement flat rate packages in the Republic of Ireland as soon as possible.
    </font>

This all sounds very promising but you do realiase "as soon as possible" means May 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Here in my current job we have a UTV account, we use single Channel ISDN, the service level from UTV is crap. We've had mail outages, problems with our site (it's hosted with them as well). Overall I'd nearly take Eircon or Eshat over UTV.

Advertisement