Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is a gridle?

Options
  • 08-04-2002 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, i know it some kind of fancy frying pan that usually comes square (at least the ones ive seen) and has raised ridges on the bottom.
    but why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Good old dictionary.com...

[Middle English gridel, gridiron, from Old North French gredil, from Latin crtcula, diminutive of crtis, wickerwork hurdle, lattice.]

or... did you mean, what is it good for?

It seems to serve most the of the purpose of a grill when one is not available... that is, the ridges hold the food away from the direct heat, so the food is cooked primarily by convection rather than direct contact with the heating element.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it's so that you can have crispyness, the fat drains off. My Dad used to use one when I was younger, I think he used it for sweet stuff too but I seem to remember him frying tomatoes and mushrooms in the morning on it.

Either that or it's for crimping your hair to look good for your stalkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

A griddle sort of half fries\half grills things, you can do a wicked steak on a griddle, or a fry up amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

And it can put those cool BBQ lines on your steaks and chicken.

Advertisement