Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI actually for talented people?

Options
  • 08-04-2002 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

is the CTYI actually for talented people?. Or do people go on it due to the fact daddy is the local GP and knows a senator up the road? How would one go about going on one of these sessions? Surely they don't let just anyone in?

*(no offense is to be taken by anything in this post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Um... I'm one of those rare CTYIers who isn't all that loaded and doesn't have all those connections...

But yes, it has come to my attention that calling us "talented" is very funny... Anyone there Saturday will remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Like did you have to do some tests before you were allowed in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

You have to do the American SATs, and whether or not youre eligible is based on your results.

A

It's all under 18's is it?......

You have to be between 12 and 16 to do it.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

You have to pass the test, there isn't really any other way to get in....

althought i do know someone who knows *someone* who's dyslexic and her mother sent in poems she had written to the site director and asked if it would be possible for her to do the Creative Writing course (and i think she was allowed).

Money and connections has absolutely nothing to do with it, if it did, then personally i'd rather not be associated with it.

<< Fio >>

It's not quite the American SATs but it's based on it.

And Paul (can't think of surname right now) got in based on his results in an iq test. He later took the SATs and failed them so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The school 'back when I was 14' streamed the people it allowed sit the sat by first conducting some sort of logic/pattern recognition and extrapilation test, before sending people for the SAT. At the time either that was common CTY practice or it was simply a way of streaming some three hundred potentials.

In any case it looks damn good on my CV.

.That is all.

ah there has to be some corruption along the line. it is ireland after all. I bet if a few brown envelopes were dropped in certain letter boxes it'd improve my chances of getting in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Um Ill take that as a joke. And not a stereotype or anything of the sort.

Um Sven it IS the American SAT. Not based on it.
    That's why it's run only on certain dates cause they hold it all around the world on the same days. It's corrected by the Amercian College Board.
    (Please correct me if i'm wrong.)

Talented is such a wrong word really. We're 'special'.
    Talented now. hmmm... some of us would be EXTREMELY talented. others wouldn't recognise talent if it came up and bitch slapped them!! (I'm not really thinking of anyone in particular but life and people in general.) Of course there are in between too.

That make any sense?
    Nih...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Alk3

I have been going to CTYI since I was 8, I'm 14 now. My mom is a single parent who can only work part time and my dad pays no child support, so we aren't exactly rolling in cash. My doctor (I say my doctor because it isn't the local doctor.) is a family friend but he knows less than nothing about CTYI. I was first introduced to CTYI by a teacher at primary school and I took the junior test which I cannot recall a thing about, I qualified and was accepted. The junior side of CTYI rocks, until you sample the senior side and see how much the junior side sucked. In order to be accepted into the senior side you had to get a recommendation from a teacher just to be allowed take the SAT, then if you get good enough scores on the SAT you are eligible to attend one of the summer sessions. Now, having said all that the director of CTYI (Seán O'Céileachair) is great friends with my me and even greater friends with my mom, he was also my Irish teacher in first year and a mentor of sorts -- he's a great guy. He has gotten me out of a few scrapes as regards CTYI, such as late applications and stuff -- but (!!) I think he would do it for anyone because he is a great guy. That's the thing about CTYI, it's all about helping people, especially when those people are "academically talented". I don't like the term myself but that's apparently what we are. Oh **** I've lost my train of though again, dammit! I need to be able to concentrate better ... god dammit! Anyway, try and make some sense out of the above post if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

not really related. i just had to second the seán being a 'great guy'. he was my teacher in my first year at ctyi, and was all wonderful

Nyah Nyah Nyah!

heheheheheheheh! Ni!

And i'm done...

*Talented* <snigger>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

yeah, apparently sean o ceilleacheair is a real nice guy. ive never met him, but reputation. and he taught my big brother irish when he was in secondary school. alk3/(bob?), do you go to st pauls, or is there another teacher guy with that name?

personally i think the main qualification required for getting into ctyi is knowing it exists. information about it is sent to all secondary schools but, as has been pointed out, not all of them pass on this info to their students. including mine. i found out from that brother, cos one of his teachers told him about it.

you basically have to give them some indication that you can read and do maths reasonably well. some of the people there are geniuses, and i dont use that term lightly. but im not. and im not in the minority. yes, one girl i know sent in poems and stuff because she was dyslexic and the sat would have been a problem. paul did something similar. they accept high results from other standardised tests too... i didnt score high enough in the maths section of the SAT, but my verbal score, and the combined score were high enough for me to get in. i know some people who had it the other way round.

sooo... basically, now you know about it, youre more than halfway there.

Yeah, I'm in Pauls -- do you live near here? (And yeah, I'm Bob.) Seán is like, the coolest guy you will ever meet -- I swear. Then there's Feargal Close who some of you may know, he thought me Science in first and second year -- he's a prick of the highest order. That ****er wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

Originally posted by Alk3
    That ****er wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

actually...no, that story's for another day. although, you know, pressure situation and all, its probably more likely that hed get a fire extinguisher.

no, i think he's a really great guy. i know that as a teacher and as a site director he has to keep discipline, and thats not a job that leads to popularity, but he's always been lovely to me, anyway, and he also taught my brother, who approved of him.

yes, i live around the corner from pauls, on the howth road. across the road from between st brigids primary schoo and statoil. do you know . . . joseph smith? i thihnk hes in third year. hes been friends with my little brother since they watched thy were..um.. smaller. at least eight years.

Yeah, Joe's in my class -- he seems a quiet lad, sound though. Jesus, I must walk past your house every day man. :) Regarding Close though, I have talked / interacted with him a few different times out of school and once at CTYI and he is a total fscking cu.nt, at least to me. I amn't quite sure why because I never did particularly badly in his class, I just made a fool of him at every opportunity but it always seemed a friendly rivalry then he suddenly just started being a straight up snobbish bast.ard to me so I hate him, with a venagance.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

i don't know sean at all, not having been involved with ctyi in dublin for the past three years. colm or sheila always come down to limerick.

i've known fergal since he was an RA and he was mad then. as site director its different but i always got on well with him. were any of ye there 93-96 when frank was site director and lucy the assistant site director/councillor?????

i was so annoyed when my brother went in 97 and he missed out on the two of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

halenger- you are right, 100%! College Board has everyone take the tests at the same time because some people like to send tips on the particular test to others not in their time zone. tsk tsk. It really important though. i mean, it decides a person's future. kinda like leaving certs im guessing? so i have heard some pretty wacky stories about the things people do to get good SAT scores. College Board also changes the test every time they have a testing date. Crazy, because there are quite a few dates that they can be taken on. So its not only CORRECTED by College Board, but made up by it as well..... cool idea, eh? ooh! i think i'll make some croutons! anybody want a crouton? I can email them! or maybe not. never mind. i dont think that technology has been invented yet. one of y'all should invent a crouton transporter thingamabobby.

Taking a more mature perspective, I would have to agree that Feargal was in fact a great site director. Sure, he might have seemed a bit stricter than some of the others, but when you look back on it, he wasnt that bad at all, and I understand that he really fought issues for us. I remember having a conversation with Daryl Hanberry (RA) at ones stage, and him telling me a load of stuff that Feargal had done for us. The kind of stuff that people would have appreciated... if theyd ever been told.

Seriously... respect.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i like feargal.
    because he gave us the phrase "there's a time and a place for everything".
    which was put in the opera.
    which everyone laughed at.
    including me.

I will admit, he isn't a particularly bad guy -- and he is an excellent teacher. But he can be a sly ****er at times, I dunno -- maybe I resent him 'cos he kicked me off the second year school trip, but he don't exactly love me. Aww dammit I am confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

fergal was great - always willing to make an idiot of himeslf for our entertainment - colm on the other hand: the root of all evil

Colm as in Academic Co-ordinator, slightly homosexual in appearance and accent Colm? He is such a cool guy! Seriously, hang out with him one day -- he rocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by Alk3
    Colm as in Academic Co-ordinator, slightly homosexual in appearance and accent Colm? He is such a cool guy! Seriously, hang out with him one day -- he rocks!

mmm, he took me out of class one day in architecture and gave out to me for having my feet on the table :(

Yeah, he can be a wee bit anal about rules but once he has no direct power of you he's a really sound bloke -- a lot of people are like that.

heheh...
    The Time And The Place...
    eh kev, eh? And Rachel. Anyone else here remember that?

Ah... the couples.

But yeah.. feargal's alright. If a bit of a carolanphobe.. hehe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

COLM IS SO GOD-DAMN COOL.HE IS MY FUNKY UNKY,IN SNAPPLE TERMS.AND HE PROMISED US PRESENTS AND THEN didn't bring them........oh,ok.i see your point,mark.

but *despite* that,colm is highly super

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

In all honesty i've never had a problem with either of them.
    I see Colm around college a fair bit and ive talked to him a good bit too.
    He sent me the Philosophy course description that i posted here.
    Fergal. Hehehe. I was slagging him last time i saw him. It was a year after becoming a nevermore but nih. Anyways ill (hopefully, fingers crossed!!!) be working for him n for CTYI during the summer...
    I sent in my application for anyways.
    I could be your RA, Bob! :-p

• Advertisement

Maybe, I am pretty sure (read: almost definete, let's call it a hunch) that you won't be though.

Advertisement