Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows98 Shutdown.

• 29-04-2001 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Anyone have any ideas on why a system hangs on the..windows is shuting screen?I have to
    pull out the power lead get it to knock off.
    It's a Dell Celeron 500mhz, a couple of years
    old.
    Also how do you access the bios on a Dell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

while i don't know whats wrong, i've heard a lot of people complaining about Win shutdowns lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Not sure about the system hang....try Ctrl+Alt+Del before shutting down to see whats running in the background.

Dell Bios stuff here: http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/kb/document.asp?DN=TT1012573&tag=

OOOHH,I hear laughter in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm could have sworn there used to be a
    "Disable fast shutdown" option or something to that effect in
    msconfig->general->advanced
    perhaps that was in 95 though?
    Doesn't seem to be in TweakUI either..
    damnit where the hell did I see that option.

[edit] "fast boot"? what the hell was i thinking smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 30-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Use to happen to me anytime I'd leave a CD in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Running Scandisk has fixed shutdown problems for me in the past, even though Scandisk didn't report finding any errors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Here’s some information that should be of use

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q202/6/33.ASP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Pharaoh

Going to check out some of those ideas now I'll let you know how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Pharaoh

Originally posted by tobiwan:
    Here’s some information that should be of use

Right..I used the Microsoft link and I think it was something to do with an exit windows sound,so I disabled the sound, now it shuts down but really quickly,no windows shutting down screen.How does that sound to you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I have all windows sounds turned off cos I don't trust em, they give you cancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually that shutdown problem is well known amongst Win98 SE users. I myself am sick of it because it happens around 20% of the time, and I still have not found any trend/pattern that would indicate why it happens.

But anywho I went straight to the source (Microsoft), and they are fully aware of the bug. The URL below has tips tricks and even patches to download that should fix the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/0/96.asp

So anyway I hope this helps all concerned!

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I fpound that just after i installed my Realtek 8029AS card it wouldn't shut down right. Prehaps something with the card broadcasting to a non-existent network, as they do it anyways, connected or not.

Also, it is pretty random, and no pattern is obvious. But 20% is waay too small. Try 80% of shutdowns hanging. frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

from the given url by phobos there:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    NOTE: After you apply the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement, the Disable Fast Shutdown option is no longer listed on the Advanced tab in Msconfig.exe.
    </font>

So thats where that bloody option went, least I know it was there in the first place and not just me going nuts smile.gif
    It still occurs for me (despite the patch), roughly as mentioned about 20% of the time.
    Its just seems like way too much effort to go through their problem fixes and try to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

theres a great site for windows debuging, includes a rather lenghtly trouble shooter for windows shuting down problems http://www.fixwindows.com

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

Advertisement