Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to set up Forums on Intranet web site

Options
  • 08-04-2002 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i know I asked a few of these questions before, but I am looking for any help on how to set up forums on an Intranet site,

Which one is the best, and what software do you need on the server to run it, example vBulletin Version 2.2.4 what software does it need to run on, mysql ?

or if theres any web site out there that has all this info, that be nice.,

Thanks Lads.......................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suppose it depends on your use. I mean how big is the company? vBulletin isn't free, but as you can see, it's familiar, and seems fairly customizable. You could go for free ones such as YaBB(which use text files for databasing - simple and easily modified, but space eaters), but in my experience, YaBB and phpBB can be quite buggy, and don't work properly unless you follow the installtion instructions down to a tee.

I would think your best bet is to find a load of types of BB using google, and visit each site itself to determine it's pros and cons.

www.vbulletin.com would be a good start

:)

(Oh yeah - make sure you get one written in a language that you know!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Thanks for the info Seamus,

I will look at www.vbulletin.com, and check it out.

Thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Take a look at www.jivesoftware.com
    V. nice forums
    Simple to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

I just set up a phpBB board yesterday - uses MySQL - works well

http://sisob.dyndns.org/phpBB/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Yes, phpBB2 (launched only 4 days ago) seems to be conquering the community sector at the moment. It is probably one of the nicest visual looking forums I've ever seen. Even their new web site is pretty cool, oh yea, and it's 100% free.

phpBB_88a.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Or if you want ASP check www.snitz.com it uses Access you can run that from your basic PWS

www.simeplemessageboard.com is a CFM based script never really used it though.

Check out www.hotscripts.com for a large list of free and pay forum scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

check out how well I managed to integrate phpBB2 into my site :)http://sisob.dyndns.org/phpBB/index.php

Advertisement