Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Advice\Resources

Options
  • 08-04-2002 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post this. I imagine it is.

Anyone know any links\site other than threshold.ie that has legal information on renting a huose from a tenants point of view, or any Irish legal sites.... I've been searching quite a bit now, and threshold's the only good one so far!!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not that I am aware of. I think Threshold did a booklet in conjunction with the Eastern Health Board (you should be able to get in from your local Community Welfare Officer).

Do you have a specific question you want to raise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

My ex-landlady is not giving us back our deposit, she claims we've damaged the house and contents, but we haven't. We offered to pay for what we were responsible, but she wants more. Basically it's a really old house, and it's delapidated through normal wear and tear, she's going to have to fork up a couple of grand to make it habitable for the next tenant and so she's gonna be out of pocket. Therefore doesn't want to pay us our deposit.

She did everything wrong though, didn't take an inventory before we moved in, didn't give us a rentbook, and didn't even check the place out before we moved in, so I think we should get it back no problems.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    My ex-landlady is not giving us back our deposit, she claims we've damaged the house and contents, but we haven't. We offered to pay for what we were responsible, but she wants more. Basically it's a really old house, and it's delapidated through normal wear and tear, she's going to have to fork up a couple of grand to make it habitable for the next tenant and so she's gonna be out of pocket. Therefore doesn't want to pay us our deposit.

She did everything wrong though, didn't take an inventory before we moved in, didn't give us a rentbook, and didn't even check the place out before we moved in, so I think we should get it back no problems.

Compile a dossier of evidence that you lived there - envelopes with you name, utility bills, rent receipts (if any), cheque stubs and any other details you have.

Write to her and demand the deposit back. Threaten to go to a solicitor and that you will bill her for your legal costs and interest.

Talk to your local authority - they maintain a register of private landlords. If you landlord isn't on it, you can create hassle for her.

Then get a "Form Rent 2" from the Revenue Commissioners www.revenue.ie and get the landlady to complete it for each tenant. Its worth about €150 per year to each of you (assuming you are paying income tax). If she isn't declaring the rent ....

Also compile your own inventory, if you can.

Originally posted by Victor
    Also compile your own inventory, if you can.

We did compile our own inventory, but there was stuff all over the house which she is trying to claim we damaged, but we have a witness (previous tenant) to prove that this stuff was that way before we moved in, she also made a thinly veiled accusation that we or our other tenants were drug dealers - which as far as I can see is slander.
    She never inventoried, checked the huose erself, and she never even checked with us regularly, she was an absentee landlord basically, and I don't imagine she wasn't declaring the rent.

I think we've got her. She won't get away with this crap. I reckon a formal letter should do the job nicely, explaining our lega situation, and how we basically have her in a bad situation.

<edit>to remove stupid local authority question :)</edit>

• Advertisement

Phone the main number and ask for the housing department. Explain you are enquiring about the Landlord Register. If it isn't that office, they will know who you should be speaking to.

Thanks. I don't think we'll have a problem getting our deposit back, but the bítch has really fúcked us up money-wise.

The Housing (Rent Book) Regulations, 1993 say the landlord must give a rent book to include and inventory - its her problem.

The Housing (Rent Book) Regulations, 1993 say the landlord must give a rent book to include and inventory - its her problem.

I know, thanks againfor your help. We've got her, I can't understand why she's even trying this, still we have 2 solicitors who can handle it if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Compile a dossier of evidence that you lived there - envelopes with you name, utility bills, rent receipts (if any), cheque stubs and any other details you have.

Write to her and demand the deposit back. Threaten to go to a solicitor and that you will bill her for your legal costs and interest.

Talk to your local authority - they maintain a register of private landlords. If you landlord isn't on it, you can create hassle for her.

Then get a "Form Rent 2" from the Revenue Commissioners www.revenue.ie and get the landlady to complete it for each tenant. Its worth about €150 per year to each of you (assuming you are paying income tax). If she isn't declaring the rent ....

Having just come out of a similar situation I cannot agree more with the above recommendations. Throw the book at ther and send her an registered letter stating you will make her live hell if she doesn't give you your money back. PM me if you need any tips....;-)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mayhem#
    Having just come out of a similar situation I cannot agree more with the above recommendations. Throw the book at ther and send her an registered letter stating you will make her live hell if she doesn't give you your money back. PM me if you need any tips....;-)

You mean you will 'fully avail of your rights under the law' ;)

Advertisement