Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When books are made into films

Options
  • 08-04-2002 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

What do you think of that? Have you ever found a Film that was better than the book it was adapted from (As good as the book/not disapointing)?

I don't like to see a film taken from a book I read. I'm usually diapointed by the poor adaptations, the characters rarelly fit the image I had of them.

What do you think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

probally the only film that i have read that wasnt as good as the film was After Hours by Edwin Torres,made into the film Carlitos way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

As I said in another thread Fightclub made a pretty good transition and added to the existing book with its play on subliminal images throughout the film and adding a lot more visual imagery compared to the book.

If I were a writer and someone was going to make a book into a film I'd be in two minds. Theres the whole Hollywood will ruin the ideas contained in the book but theres the whole mass audience appeal too. Hollywood can get your ideas out to millions more than those that read books. The audience for reading books is not as big and international as those for films.

I think the trend is turning around though and more people are begining to read books again, thanks in part I would think to the likes of Harry Potter. Theres so many kids and adults reading those books now. Its grand that kids are getting into books again and its almost cool now to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Originally posted by yellum
    .....and more people are begining to read books again, thanks in part I would think to the likes of Harry Potter. Theres so many kids and adults reading those books now. Its grand that kids are getting into books again and its almost cool now to do so.

I agree with you on that. Although I will always find sad that people don't have more interest in reading and need to see a film to have their interest raised.
    But it's my own fault, I'm an idealistic book lover, and like my films originals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm nearly always disappointed with movie adaptions of books. I have two exceptions, both Stephen King novels turned movies: The Dead Zone and The Green Mile. I felt both films really captured the atmosphere of the books (having read them first) and the casting was near perfect imo. Trainspotting I think also did justice to the book although a hell of a lot was left out. I have yet to find a movie that surpasses the original book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

book sales do rise after an author has had his book made into a film though,so it is not all a one way thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thought the ending of "The Firm" movie was better than the book ending.

"Doctor Strangelove" was better than Peter George's "Red Alert" (drama turned comedy)

"Bridges of Madison County" - really awful book, perfectly acceptable movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Originally posted by sceptre
    "Doctor Strangelove" was better than Peter George's "Red Alert" (drama turned comedy)

"Bridges of Madison County" - really awful book, perfectly acceptable movie.

I'll have to read the book for the first one, see the movie + read the book for the second. May me you got the answer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Red Alert" was a serious book that could have been interpreted by a warped mind as funny (hehe)

Problem with Bridges of Madison County (apart from it being sentimental mush - haven't much of a problem with that) is that the book was from the bloke's point of view, the movie was from the woman's. Have to admit I quite liked the movie (not just because Maryl Streep was looking well).

Last two from me:
    1. The English Patient. Poor excuse for a novel. Poorly written (and it has that unexplained scene of the poor chap digging up his plane after months in the desert, by himself (movie also sorts this one out)). Nice scenery in the movie.

2. The Big Sleep. Read it, watch it, you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

The green Mile was an excellent movie, almost as good as the book.
    Also enjoyed Interview with a Vampire, brilliant casting with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and antonio Banderas.
    The Fellowship of the Ring was close to the book, as good as I thought it could be.
    Congo and the Jurassic Park books shouldn't have been made into movies, didn't do justice to the books at all.

Advertisement