Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet fixed monthly rate needed

• 26-04-2001 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

i can see it going osmething like ntl and being just flat weekends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got onto the old nolimits service just in time and I'm saving a fortune at about £16 a month for free off peak surfing. Previously it was costing about £50 with NTL- even with free weekend surfing. Connection seems better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

IOL no limits is not a great service,precisely for the reasons stated above smile.gif
    It used to be fine,but so many took up on the offer that it became heavily oversubscribed,resulting in bad pings and bad download rates during times when alot of people are using the service.That said,it usually flies early in the morning(ideal for early weekend CS tongue.gif) and very late, i.e 1am.
    Considering it is only 20 quid I would get it,though I myself am currently debating if the cost saving is worth the hassle and annoyance of it all.Thats just my experience,some will have worse or better tales to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

85 quid for two months? Bloody hell. I'm still traumatised by the memory of my 300 quid a month phonebills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Joe22

ive better i connect at 52k and ususally i donwload 250mb in 12 hours over night,
    pings not bad either, but then my personal exchanges isnt over used, its allot of bussiness so at night once there closed it great, during the day i have trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Eshát blow limits as i refer to them, is utter utter pants now frown.gif I signed up back in september 2000 and until christmas it was fine - i could count on one hand how many times i got disconnected
    since then its gone to pot, rampant disconnections from 6pm on - last week i remember being on my 12th connection by 9 pm eek.gifeek.gifeek.giffrown.gif i find it totally unplayable to play cs even on irich servers before 1am

but
    all that said it is an ok service for downloading - i can get a nice 5-6k during the night times and it is posssible to dl a serious ammount of stuff for the £20

Sin é me beirt cents

"So long loosers whom I've always hated"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Ive always used eircom, but i play cs a lot and my brother uses the internet frequently, because of this when the phone bill came a couple of weeks ago we got a fat bill of 85 quid, and that was for 2 months.

We contacted IOL no limits but they told us that theyre no,longer taking customers because they were losing money providing the service but willm start taking more customers in while at a new rate(it was £20 or somethin,dunno what the rate is tho), can anyone tell me if its a good service? or what can ye say about it?

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda, SCUMM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Esat SNL used to be excelent for me up until about early March. It has since gone to **** - 90% of connections drop within two minutes of dialling in... :/

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

i remember getting a 400 quid bill for 2 months back when i was not working
    them were the days UO ruled back then

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

nolimits seems to vary from person to person; i hear of people not being able to get connected at all, ever, even during the day; then people who have no trouble at all getting and staying connected even at peak times.

sigh..i dunno smile.gif

its the area you live in, probably 4 people on my street with the interent 2 with iol.
    and im in the saem exchange as all the companies and stores in town so at night ive not problems connecting, easter bank holiday weekend i downloaded 1.2 gigs, some would die for that

• Advertisement

1.2 gigs in 3 days?
    /me sniffs the air for impending odour

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I have few problems connecting to iol but bewteen 6-12pm its horrible.. frown.gif
    takes a good 5mins for hotmail to load up.

Its not to bad right now (2am) though.

I get awful pings.

but.. its unmetered.

All in all is all we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

1.2GB in 3days..haha
    8-)
    I can download approx 1GB in 45mins.
    Wanna know my secret...?
    www.europeonline.net
    or
    www.starspeeder.co.uk
    or
    www.skystorm.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    1.2GB in 3days..haha
    8-)
    I can download approx 1GB in 45mins.
    Wanna know my secret...?
    www.europeonline.net
    or
    www.starspeeder.co.uk
    or
    www.skystorm.net
    </font>

Even that pedantic modemer would get better ping than you tho smile.gif
    Cable tho, best of both worlds, lovely pings, good download speeds!

Moriarty your being a bite of a *****, i can post a picture if yo want,
    hey chernobyl are they all open to ireland,

1.2gig
    something tells me Moriarty your not man enough to say you were wrong,
    edit cant seem to get the img to work heres a url

[This message has been edited by Joe22 (edited 28-04-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe22:

hey chernobyl are they all open to ireland,
    </font>

Open to All of Europe and most of Asia.

chernobyl the www.skystorm.netisnt taken on new people the www.starspeeder.co.uk
    isnt working(the link) and ive heard humours about www.europeonline.net that i didnt like,
    what one are you with, what price are you paying, how much did the sat coast, and were did you get it, i am sick of esat and eircom, i need decent download speeds now, and ill probably keep it when adsl comes out

Starspeeder's DNS is down,s o go here to view the forum.
    http://www.traccomms.com/starspeeder/board/index.php3
    starspeeder is 20 irish a month and you should get about 40KB/sec sustained transfers.

is that the one your on,
    and you say you downlaod at 40k a sec so what you connect at 350 k then,id go for that onme then,
    tell me what way it works, can you be downloading with it and then at the same time surfing the net on a 56k

• Advertisement

At the moment i am using Europeonline, and have jusr ordered my equipment to join Starspeeder too.
    They say the cap is at 400kb/sec but i have heard of several users getting tranfers approaching 3Mbit(this may be because the service only started last thursday and the caps are not aggresive yet), but you will get 40KB download which is okay.
    Surfing with starspeeder is reported as being faster than DUAL LINE ISDN.
    Although i have not seen this, the starspeeder's website designer has stated this in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

this satalite stuff has seemed to sneek by me..
    Can anyone get it ? ANYONE ? Or does location come into it..
    And whats this about Fast Downloads but slow Uploads..
    Is it normal phone lines for the upload, but super fast downloads ?
    would that be good for games ?

will they send you all the equipment you need, as in the dish and all, how much will it set you back for the the equipment, can you pay by DD, what do you mean for surfing its the same speed as dual isdn,is the lag cut down or something

Xithus the man stated above yes anybody can get it, secound its great speeds for downloading but the lag makes it unusable for gaming and surfing,,

Heh joe22 you havent even got satellite internet so how hell can you answer questions about surfing with it?
    Starspeeder is faster than dual ine isdn for surfing.
    it will cost about £200 for the equipment(they supply it all) and about £50-100 to get your dish setup and aligned unless you can do that yuorself.

go to here http://www.traccomms.com
    and select and choose Sat Internet under the "Select Product Category"

the way i understand the lag makes it unsuable for surfing and gaming, you dont have to have sat to know your ping is going to go to hell, but your saying that for surfing it will be as if your on dual isdn,
    the speed is one thing but how exactly is the lag, i take it your saying you will get the same ping as dual isdn, is that what your saying

in case you think is busting your balls im not, i dont do the whole online gaming thing, as for surfing 56k is more then enough when i normally connect at 48k-50k.

right so what your saying is all you need is the dish and the card the lnb for £129.99
    any cables or stuff needed

ping is way higher than ISDN(about 350).but the pages load faster than Dual ISDN.
    You should email traccomms and find out what lenght of cable is supplied.
    130 sterling man(for all equipment).

350 thats ok then, i thought you were talking something like 600, but 350 is grand for me, hel li get 350 ping playing american servers on esat

www.starspeeder.co.uk
    is back up again.

• Advertisement

ho hum..

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

Advertisement