Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu temp

• 08-04-2002 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats everyones cpu tempeture . and what the max should b and the min

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You were saying that 40 was a bit high in the other thread. Well, its not quite like that. The sensor on your motherboard is not accurate, it is measuring at best the underside of the cpu, but probably only the temperature of the air in the socket under the cpu. This is a problem common to almost every athlon system. (You can modify some newer motherboards to read the on die thermal diode on a palomino/xp cpu, but not on a tbird. So your cpu is running maybe 4-7 degrees hotter than this. However ~45 degrees is nothing to worry about. Standard oem systems come with the bare minimum of cooling to keep them under the max rated cpu temp. You would often see slimline cases running cpu's at 60 degrees or more. Of course your overclocked cpu is more sensitive to temperature, ie it will crash at a lower temperature than if it was at stock speed. So I'd say your cpu temp is about right. If getting it cooler helps you overclock more, go for more cooling (try opening the window at night to test :) ) otherwise its fine.

Anyway, I have overkill cooling on my p3 600e @ 933. It runs at around room temperature when idle, and about 30 under load. For example, its at 15 degrees right now, since the window is open and the cpu is idle. This is read from the p3's thermal diode, so is quite accurate. Another difference is that it responds instantly to changes in cpu load. You will notice that on your machine, it takes a few minutes for the temperature to max out. I would expect this overclocked cpu to last longer than a 600 at stock speed with crap cooling running at much higher temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Running on a (MSI) 266 pro 2 system temp 36c CPU temp (idle)49c
    under loads 55c tops.I was reading somewhere that sys temp and cpu temp should be arround 15c difference (on AMD).

Stone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My Gigiabyte/Duron950 set up is ticking over at 42c whle the fan is doing 4420rpm. The software is set to go "beep!" at 80c

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

!.64ghz Athlon Xp, Zalman Cu Flower Heatsink with a Sunon 120mm fan over it - ~38c idle, 45c under load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've an Alpha PAL 8045 with a Delta 80mm fan on it and if i run the Delta at 7v and no other case fans with the sides off i max at 45*c and with the side on 53*c.
    When i have all the fans on and the case closed i max at 39*c.
    I've 2 delta 80mm outtake, PCI slot cooler outtake, 92mm Delta outtake blow hole and a 120mm YStech intake.
    I've overclocked a 1.2 Tbird to 1.38 and changed the voltage from 1.8 to 1.9 which puts the heat up substancially.

If you want extreme cooling go for the Alpha PAL or a ThermalRight AX7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I haven't seen my XP1500 go above 47c , i have it set to shut down if it exceeds 70c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

That's weird. For all the hype it's given, the Cu Flower doesn't seem to help that much. Creed's temp is as high as any. What's the rest of your system cooling like, creed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Xp 1700 running at normal speeds

running at 32 idle and 40 under load (ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Not really Balfa, at 1.64ghz thats a 2000+ (running at 1.85V too), compare that to the speeds/temps already mentioned and it's doing pretty well.
    Besides she's rock solid at the mo., overclocked from an 1800 with just the FSB (May get round to unlocking it some time soon...).

As for the rest of the system there's a high powered 40mm slapped onto the vid card, Hdd coolers on all the drives and a Drive Bay Dual fan exhaust. case ambient temp is usually ~29c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Besides the selling point on the flower heatsinks is noise reduction rather than cooling ability.

Stone:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

right now mh cpu fan is running almost silently at 6300RPM - she's a bute , £45 worth

at the moment i'm at 38 - temmp varies between 30 and 45

system temp is 29

I have to extra fans in there but i turn them off cus of the noise

Advertisement