Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linux questions.......

• 01-05-2001 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Right I'm considering putting linux on my machine over the summer sense my comp is slowly heading towards the dark ages and becoming ever more useless for gaming.
    So for all you linux people:
    Duel partition .... should I? how?

Best linux prog ... Solarois or redhat looking for good support of drivers.

Is it worth the change over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Dual partition definitly...that way all your mp3s/files etc. can sit on your windows partition and can still be accessible from within linux.

I'd definitly go with Redhat. Solaris is not fun for beginners full-stop, plus Redhat has a nice hardware auto-detect feature... and theres a lot more software available and hardware compatability (as much as Sun would like you to think the opposite)

Few simple steps to make sure nothing goes wrong before you install anything.. (there are many other ways)...

1) Free up about 2-4 gigs of space on your windows partition (should be more than adequate.)
    2) Resize your main partition (i prefer partition magic) to leave empty non-partitioned space on your HD... this will make life easier for any OS installer.

Advertisement