Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony to release Linux for PS2

• 29-04-2001 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

read this on cnet...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Linux fans who want to run their favorite operating system on the Sony PlayStation 2 game console apparently will get what they've been hoping for.

On Friday, Sony posted information on the Beta Release 1 of its PlayStation 2 Linux Kit, including a press release on its Japanese site that puts its price tag at 25,000 yen, or about $200.

The kit includes a DVD with software, 40GB hard drive, keyboard and mouse. The beta, or test, version will be available in June.

More than 6,000 people signed a petition earlier this year to encourage Sony to work on the project.

The PlayStation 2 is powered by a MIPS chip. One of the benefits of Linux is that it's comparatively easy to get it working on different CPUs.

Sony selected Linux to help game developers simulate the PlayStation 2 so they could get a jump on creating games before the actual hardware was available.

Running Linux on the game console itself, though, is a different matter entirely. Rumors of the possibility have been circulating on Slashdot, a news and discussion site popular with Linux fans.

The programming blueprints, or source code, for the kernel--the heart of Linux--is included on the DVD, Sony said. But the source code for a proprietary "runtime environment" that lets games play on the system is not.
    </font>

discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wot OS are they runnin at the mo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wot OS are they runnin at the mo?</font>

It's a proprietry Sony jobbie.

The Linux PS2 will only be released in Japan BTW, at least initially.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The development kit for ps2s are running a version of linux already if im not mistaken.

"when im finished games i like to run shell scripts"... perhaps it has more use in Japan where broadband is actually available for console use... file sharing/mail/web browsing etc.
    Still I find it funny that someone would be running ftp or telnet daemons on a ps2 smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

here's a pic of the linux kit that i found.

01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Nice ill be running linux on my ps2 before my PC smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement