Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ie5 - Help!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2002 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

How can you tell when a site was last updated in IE5.0? The 'Get Info' in the File menu is greyed out. I'm using G4 PowerMac (OS 9.2).

It's driving me mad not being able to figure out when a site was changed. Netscape makes it very easy I know, but there's other reasons why I need to use IE. What am I not doing...

thanks in advance

Hatstand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hence the name huh?!

I don't know much about this updated thangmejuggle but is it anything to do with Subscriptions?

Goto preferences and hit "Subscribe manually" I think and then go to "Tools" on your menu bar and update or subscribe etc from there.

Or maybe I have gone hatstand and don't understand your scat... man..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hatstand

Thanks for that Gordon.

I probably didn't explain properly what I meant.

Here goes: I frequently come across pages with information that is out of date or written months ago. A lot of news-type sites have the current date and time on them, but the content might have been written a long time before that.

Netscape has a very useful 'Page Info' which sometimes indicates when the page was last modified. If it hasn't been changed in months, the contents is more than likely out of date.

IE5.0 doesn't seem to do that. At least I can't figure out how.

Any takers?

Hatstand

Actually this is what you want, I've just tested it. It's quite a cool wee thing actually.

What you do is - set your preference for subscriptions to ... say... subscribe manually.
    - Goto web page you want to "subscribe" to and hit Favourites on the menu and... "Subscribe"
    -Whenever you want to check your subscriptions hit :Apple: U or - menu- update subscriptions.
    - To see these all nicely laid out go to your favourites bar on the left there <-. It will open up and show you a link of the "Subscription" with a picture showing it is a subscription (a picture of a tiny newspaper). It will say ... "last update yaddayadda"
    ..."the site has changed blah blah"

This, Shirley, must be want you want, shirley.

:cool:

it can even e-mail you if it finds a change, coolness. Or is that lee7ness, I forget.

How do you get the :Apple: sign to show here?
    Ó test

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

But that's major hassle.

Gordon, have a look at the view-page info command in netscape. That's what he wants I guess. You shouldn't need to have to "subscribe" to a site to get that info. It all comes with the HTML headers anyway. It's trivial to get that info from a server. It's strange that IE doesn't implement.

Tim

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I want Timod. The Subscribe in IE5.0 seems to check have there been any changes on the ENTIRE site since the last visit etc.

Page Info in Netscape gives when the PAGE you're looking at was last modified.

I also found it strange that there's no equivalent in IE, and presumed it was me that couldn't find how to do it.

Now it's really bugging the hell out of me. If someone tells me it can't be done in IE5.0 for Mac, then they'll be doing me a HUGE favour :)

Jez - I just realised how 'sad' this all appears. But hey..

Hatstand

Hmmm I guess it can't be done then, sorry.
    :confused:

Certainly looks that way Gordon :(

Ta for the replies...

HS

Advertisement