Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice and hot food

Options
  • 09-04-2002 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

Which spices do you use when cooking.
    How hot do you like your food? (Few people can eat what I cook because it's too hot...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cumin, mustard, cinnamon, paprika and coriander and turmeric I think.

If I have a flu I will make the hottest possible curry with diced lamb and all the hot things I have, ginger and garlic too, masses and masses of spice (I prefer scary spice tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I use pretty much all the common (and some uncommon) harbs & spices - in seed, dried, fresh or any other form as suitable for whatever I'm cooking.

AS for "how hot" - its very simple. If you can't taste anything but the chilli, then its too hot.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Khynareth
    Which spices do you use when cooking.
    How hot do you like your food? (Few people can eat what I cook because it's too hot...)

i'm on the total other end of the scale. A mild curry by most people's standards will have me running for the nearest fire extinguisher. As a rule if its indian i can't touch it, which i'm not happy about cause i really like the smell of most indian dishes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Originally posted by bonkey

AS for "how hot" - its very simple. If you can't taste anything but the chilli, then its too hot.

jc

What I have found is that you get used to dishes being hot, and gradually increase the amount of spice you put in your dishes (at least that's what I have done). Once you're used to the hot, you can still feel the taste of the other ingredients. (At least I do)

Advertisement