Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldmine or Space Dust?

Options
  • 09-04-2002 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Ok so it s a long way off yet but....

With all the investment in the reaching to other planets, NASA and other abriviated organisations, and the global realisation of the limited rescources of this planet...

...should we push [global initiative] for a mining survey of nearby planets for the long long future goal of actually terraforming...

i can understand the need/problem for returning the processed ore to earth...but if mars is a gold mine and it starts to be colonized by 2030...should we now find out if it is feasablie and if it is work/invest toward pooling the spoils in terms of the forced technology advancement and new market in raw materials...

btw: i've just finished red mars, class book

red mars...BBC cover

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Interesting post Searrard, are you sure you haven't been a little too affected by the book:rolleyes:

But seriously, if the ends justify the means then why not give it a shot. But would it ever be feasible?? How much would it cost to even assess another planet, say Mars, to see if it has any resources worth mining and then you would have to establish colonies and move people up there to run the project. (Actually, off the top of my head I can think of one person who I would only be too glad to see jetted off into space and breaking rocks on Mars!!!! :p)

And who get's the spoils? Would pan-planetery mining benefit Earth or would it just mean huge profits for the companies responsible??

But still Searrard, you should go to Hollywood with your ideas, maybe they are drafting a script for Armageddon2!!! Just kidding!!

:D

Advertisement