Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cracker

• 09-04-2002 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Right i told you i had a cracker of a story/issue for this board...

I know these 4 people, Leigh, dave, mary and susan and they moved into an apartment about 4 months ago, now leigh and dave are good mates of mine and i have known them for years.
    About 3 weeks ago they got a letter from the landlord saying that they owed 800 euros on the deposit of the house, Leigh was in charge of rent and he said he had given it in to the landlords secretary but she denied it.
    now about 2 weeks ago we found out that leigh had stolen the money and spent it and has since moved out of the house, as has dave leaving the two girls alone.
    Mary had 900 euros in the bank and paid the 800 that was owed because leigh wouldnt give it to her, but then he gave her 300 euros a few days ago, leaving her 500 euros in debt.
    Now the newest page in the story is that the landlord rang yesterday and claims that last months rent of €1440 was not paid either, looks like leigh stole that. Leigh is now living on the malahide road.
    the girls have rang his parents and they dont want to know, and the garda say that they cant do anythign until the landlandy makes a complaint, and the girls cant afford a solictor.

Its a crazy problem, anyone know how they could get the cash off leigh?

bomB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Eh... yeah... get a load of lads to go around to Leigh with a bunch of baseball bats, and beat the shíte out of him!!! Are you insane, I'm afraid I would have had him whuped along time ago, and I'm being serious here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

well if you know where he lives hired goons wouldn't be a bad idea, but in their money situation you can free legal advice off of a solicitor at the coucil offices. i don't know where they are but i'm sure you'll find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well unless they have receipts to prove they handed over the money it doesn't look to hopeful!

They could try a small claims court i suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Get a sollicitor to write up a letter. That will scare here enough to cough up the cash. Whether they'd have ground to actually sue is another thing, it all depends on the contract that was drawn up.

Scary legal letters usually do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Leigh also owes 800 euro on his credit card bill, Thing about leigh is, he is a bit strange in the way that if you beat the crap out of him he would consider the debt paid, he is a strange person, you could have video of him spending the money and he would deny it to the ground. he has this childish way of dealing with things.
    I dont know what to do because i have known leigh since fourth class and he is one of my best friends, but at the same time i cant be friends with someone who could do something like that, a knacker wouldnt do that to his friends, he has to be sick or something.

bomb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

there's a free legal aid office on the Mount Merrion Square in Dublin, they'll put you in the right direction
    I'd go with the the goons though, outcome is quicker and more satisfaction to be had, who needs enemies with friends like that!

Hire some lads to go around to his house, when only he's there. Knock on the door. Go in to the house, whupp the crap out of him, and then split as quickly as they can with the most valuable items they can find. You're more than likely to come away with a couple of hundred quids worth of stuff. Of course, this is illegal, but sure what are ye gonna do?

he doesnt have much of anything exept my baggy trousers and Mick Foley book. other than that its a bogey stereo, 14" TV and some scratched cds. Also he probably doesnt have the money,

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

This is why all tenants should demand rent books and/or receipts - there's enough dodgy landlords and tenants around. bombidol, has your mate pulled anything like this before or do you reckon he's in some sort of trouble (i.e. a big debt to pay off quickly)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

His new flatmates and his employer/college should be informed of the situation

<edit> Also this is one reason why you should pay by cheque and not cash </edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

bomb.... are you leigh?

<< Fio >>

Beating him up will achive nothing, he needs a good one to one with someone with a level head who'll address him in a non-threatening manner. If someone comes in yelling and acusing him staight off he'll undoubtedly take up a defensive stance.

no thank god im not leigh, he has pulled things like this before even when he was a kid he used to take money out of his parents drawers. he also spent £500 on my mothers credit card, i didnt kill him because it was paid off my the CC company.

bomb

I don't get how you can be still friends with someone like that Bomb?

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I don't get how you can be still friends with someone like that Bomb?
    who can explain why you befriend one person and not another, as he said he's known him since childhood, such bonds are not easily broken.

thats the thing, i dont want to be friends with him, but in all honesty he is a really nice bloke, he just seems to have a problem.
    I would rather if i never saw him again cause i have to fight with myself everytime i see him, do i act normal or slap the crap outta him.

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

what does he spend all that money on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Slots, booze, drugs?

Originally posted by bombidol
    do i act normal or slap the crap outta him.

bomb

I'd slap the crap out of him. He is no friend, so you shuld beat the crap out of him and then diswon him, never speak\see him again. Sounds like a right fúckin príck
    Beating him up will achive nothing, he needs a good one to one with someone with a level head who'll address him in a non-threatening manner. If someone comes in yelling and acusing him staight off he'll undoubtedly take up a defensive stance.

It will achieve a feeling or revenge, I'm human, I imagine Bomb is too, it'll feel good. It won't get to a proper solution you're right there. By the osunds of things I don't think this guy can be reasoned with, he sounds like a lying, deceitful, selfish git.
    So... batter him, smash his property up, disown him, and just don't deal with the fool again.

Sorry I know all my answers are a bit harsh, but that's the way I see this situation.

Originally posted by azezil

who can explain why you befriend one person and not another, as he said he's known him since childhood, such bonds are not easily broken.

I understand that azezil, but surely there comes a time when 'for old times sake' becomes irrelevant if the person continues to throw your friendship back in your face

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I wouldn't suggest beating the crap out of him, there's surely some way of humiliating him into paying up.

Originally posted by Beruthiel

I understand that azezil, but surely there comes a time when 'for old times sake' becomes irrelevant if the person continues to throw your friendship back in your face
    yeah thats true too, i help a friend out of that kinda situation once actually ( just remembered now! )

there's surely some way of humiliating him into paying up
    doubt that'd work either, i have a cousin like this,the best way i'v seen is a non abusive one to one chat. It's as must for the attention, even if negitive as anything else.

he admitted that he spent the money over a period of time, he didnt actually buy anything, i would have thought that he would have stolen the money to pay off his credit card bill, but nope looks like he spend the money on beer, clothes and food
    you see , in a way this current situation doesnt affect me but im drawn in because i know all the people who he stole off and they are ringing me because when they ring him he hangs up.

BOmb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

maybe you should tell them to stop hasseling you over the problem.In all honesty tell them its not your fault he stole their money and you dont want to get involved.Suggest they go round to his house and speak to him in person if he refuses to talk on the phone.
    Either way you are going to have to choose who you want to be mates with,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by bombidol
    he has pulled things like this before even when he was a kid he used to take money out of his parents drawers. he also spent £500 on my mothers credit card
    Did his housemates know this about him? If they did, why did they move in with him? If they didn't, why didn't you tell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK - here's where I'm confused....

You have 4 people in a house. Three appear to be paying rent to a fourth, who is responsible to pay the rent to the landlord.

Is there a contract with the landlord naming all four parties? If so, then your m8 Leigh is legally responsible for 1/4 of each months rent. The remaining tenants can simply refuse to apy his share each month, and tell the landlord that they would like him/her to lodge an official complain with the gardai about it. Then it becomes a legal matter.

If there wasnt a contract of any sort, or Leigh isnt mentioned on it, then the other tenants are in a tough position. I would start by finding out who his current landlord is, and informing them that Leigh had skipped on his previous accomodation owing monies. If possible, discuss with the landlord of the remaining three, if only to verify that there were payment problems, and that Leigh was living there.

Then go to Leigh. Let him know what you've done, and let him know that you will do the same to every landlord he moves to unless he comes clean.

Alternately - follow the really sensible ideas here, and get legal advice - there are free services available.

At the end of the day, your friends may have to write off the €800. If only one person in the house is being left to pay this, then they should seriously consider whether they want to live with the other two people any more or not, because it is completely unfair that one person carries the can for the actions of all of them (trusting Leigh).

Whatever you do, do not take it out on the guy physically. You lose either way, and if he took legal action about a beating, you'd find the law far more sympathetic to him in such a case.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was never very good at maths problems :(

its like this, leigh has a problem, yes he has done a lot of scumbag things and he has been caught doing all of them yet he continues to do them, therfore he has to have a problem a knacker wouldnt even rob off his mates.
    Another thing is, I fear for leighs safety, everyone involved in this would rather see him get help then see him in mre trouble because, his mother wont have him back in the house and if we tell his current landlord, chances are he will end up out on the street and i wouldnt inflict that on my worst enemy nevermind a bloke who has been my best friend since 4th class. What we need is a resolution that will get him help and allow him to move home with his parents, or even send him to prison for a few months to see if that helps him, he has to be shown the error of his ways.

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You dont want to see him on the street, but you want to see him in prison...

/me ponders on this awhile....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

maybe a good spell locked up might knock some sense into him...

This guy may have a problem, but it isnt one where he steals regularly to feed some drug habit, or has debts up to his eyeballs, he seems to steal just to get him the basics in life... and to be honest, if he's working, doesnt spend the money on luxuries, then what the hell is he spending it on..??

Sounds to me like he's just a child who's looking for an easy way out of paying the bills and if that means stealing off his mates then so be it and screw them after that...

The only problem this guy has is that he's a selfish b**tard who wont face up to his responsibilities and wrong doings.. he just runs away and he's probably doing the same to his new flatmates was we speak...

I think you are wasting your pity, time and worrying on this guy...

If his own Mum doesnt even want him back in the house, that kinda says a lot about they whole situation.

I know it sounds cruel, but its probably the truth and it may seem harsh now, but give it a try, just ignore him when you see him, let it be known why you are ignoring him and it might be a good idea to tip off his new flatmates as chances are they are not mates of his and they will do damage to him if he rips them off...

Advertisement