Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New York Scene, J1 also

Options
  • 09-04-2002 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Listen

I'm heading off this summer for the usual 3 months of poverty and begging for tips in New York city with the ridculously over-priced j1. I was wondering has anyone been over there on the J1 (to NYC or Long Island).

Does anyone have any advice, i.e. good website for jobs, accomadation. Also I have no idea where is cheap and where is dangerous. All i know from the police academy movies is the Bronx and Harlem are no go (where the hommies are!!! I think).

So if anyone has ideas stick em up cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 punk

1) buy a guide book !
    2) use a search engine to look info online ...
    3) don't go north of 110 st !
    and try Tower Records in Dublin for NYC papers ect. ('The Village Voice' is good,but I don't know if it has the info you're lookin' for)

SoHo and the Tribecca area and around Union square are pretty cool to hang out in,but cheap accomadation is usually snapped up really quickly anywhere on Manhattan so consider staying somewhere else!
    try www.NYC.com or www.NewYorkCity.com the official guide to NYC ! for accomadation & hotels ect.....
    also try:
    www.nycvisit.com
    www.nyc.gov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Allright on this I know alot.

There are pretty big young Irish communities in Sunnyside, Queens and Woodlawn in the Bronx, Sunnyside is fantastic neighborhood (my own untill recently) 15min by subway to manhattan and much cheaper, loads of pubs and it is a really safe n'hood (subway runs allnight) Astoria Queens also is pretty convienent and affordable - probably pretty easy to find a roomate or sub let in these neigborhoods as they have alot of young people Maspeth in Queens is even cheaper but harder to get to (you need to take the bus). Woodllawn in the Bronx is probably cheaper but much further away from all the action. If you want to live somewhere fun the East Village is probably the coolest but it is expensive. You may get lucky and find a cheap sublet though as all the NYU students may be leaving for the summer. Also in Brooklyn Park Slope, Williamsburg (trendy alternative land) and Carroll Gardens are probably the best and most acessible n'hoods. As far as real-estate brokers are really expensive so you should look in the classifieds Village Voice and New York Press have listings for sublets (also jobs) beware there are alot of scams but there are some respectable roomate and sublet services that require a fee up front also - also look around NYU. Manhattan is most fun South of 14th street and East of 6th Ave I/M/O. West of 6th The West Village is mostly "alternative lifestyle" oriented as is Chelsea - All the "Beautiful People" hang out in the meatpacking district - far west side, Soho is really expensive, The Upper East Side is very Yuppie, midtown is boring, The Upper West Side is pretty cool. Hells Kitchen/Clinton - west 40s and 50s west of 8th is pretty cool and you may find cheaper housing here - also alot or bars and dining that are fairly cheap.

Jobs I really dont know beyond looking at listings or word of mouth.

as far as music: in The E. Village Brownies generally has the best band, Arlene's Grocery in the Lower east side and The Bitter End on Bleeker (sometimes but is really collegey) Paddy Reilly's is allright

links to all these things on my wee website )also some cool bands in NY there.

http://www.mp3.com/stations/ny_rock

aside from that: the ferry to Statue of Liberty is a waste of time and money you can see it fine from the Staten Island ferry which is cheaper. You can go above 110 on the west side but not the east, aviod times square after you have seen it there is no need to go back. 125 st in harlem is incresingly plagued by German Tourists with guidebooks exposed so if you are curious go but during daylight - go to The Closters in Fort Tryon Park it is the most beautiful spot in Manhattan. If you want to go to the beach Jones Beach, Robert Moses State park are the best and closest but you can take the subway to Long Beach which is allright.

any questions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

Atonal, is your last name giuliani ? I don't even know my own bedroom that well.

Advertisement