Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suggestion reguarding the Personal Issues forum

• 09-04-2002 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by smiles
    How about some kind of open account, available only for this board, so that people could post up questions without people knowing who it is?

"Mary" or "John Doe" might be good names :P With a password like: personal

any thoughts?

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yea, and the name has to be

SensitiveDeVore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I sense a strong disturbance in the force due to muppetry of hitherto unseen proportions with anonymous accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I think its a good idea. Except perhaps only the PI moderators should know the a/c setup. So if anyone wants to post anonymously they can pm their post to the moderator.

This could get tiresome for the moderators though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It'd be easier to have it so unregistered can post but it would mean extra moderation - better for the board but more work for the mods, if they are agreeable I'll allow unregistered posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

kudos to smiles for an excellent suggestion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can see smaks post count dropping drastically ;)

I'd say change the welcome to a "Warning", mention it's guest access but any muppetry at all and you go straight to 12 clicked and any accounts banned. Thats if your going for guest.

Otherwise remove the user name, signature, post count, registered date on the output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Terminator
    I think its a good idea. Except perhaps only the PI moderators should know the a/c setup. So if anyone wants to post anonymously they can pm their post to the moderator.

Which part of anonymous didnt you understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I'm against sending the posts to the mods, isn't that a bit out of the point! :)

<< Fio >>

Another option prehaps is to have a "post/reply anon". What it does is brings you to a page where you type in your post. The page then hands your post onto "Dr Cloud Bot" who throws your post up anon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

I just meant that you'd be anonymous to everyone except the two mods. Wouldn't they need to know who's posting in order to moderate / weed out trolls?

• Advertisement

Another option prehaps is to have a "post/reply anon". What it does is brings you to a page where you type in your post. The page then hands your post onto "Dr Cloud Bot" who throws your post up anon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

"also , would there be anyway of hiding the posters name in case they didnt want anyone knowing who they are?"
    I asked this already, it would be a great idea

bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Well what ever option is handiest for Cloud to set-up. I'd be willing to give it a go. Muppets could have a field day though, and as for bubble's piss takes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmmm, what about guest posting, but new thread are moderated before display. Is this an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Cloud
    It'd be easier to have it so unregistered can post but it would mean extra moderation - better for the board but more work for the mods, if they are agreeable I'll allow unregistered posting.
    yeah i'm up for, one'd have to be up early in the day to get spam by me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, that's it decided then. A guest account that anyone can use, but all posts from it must be validated by the moderator. Simple.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Going to be weird for newbies. They'll think one person has a huge amount of problems:)

Sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    but all posts from it must be validated by the moderator. Simple.

Is it possible to only require mod validation on the first post on a thread? As opposed to all 100 spammy replies.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor

Is it possible to only require mod validation on the first post on a thread? As opposed to all 100 spammy replies.
    i think it'd make more sense to have the mod validate all posts made by a person using a guest account.

Originally posted by azezil

i think it'd make more sense to have the mod validate all posts made by a person using a guest account.
    wooo there I just had to validate posts made by alot of ppl who aren't using guest accounts! is that the way its gonna be? if so i think i'd better put up an announcement...

your announcement says all posts have to be validated by a moderator.... (personally: erg!) will these posts then go up under "guest" or what? (confussed)

<< Fio >>

your announcement says all posts have to be validated by a moderator.... (personally: erg!) will these posts then go up under "guest" or what? (confussed)

<< Fio >>
    no they go up under your own name, but i /we just have to validate them first.

the guest idea mean's someone can post while not logged in.

Personally i think that having to have all the posts read by the moderators first is a bad idea, it'll make for big time delays and the exact same advise being posted by (unknowing) folk, as they cant see what someone else has already posted before them as it is waiting for moderator approval.

<< Fio >>

Personally i think that having to have all the posts read by the moderators first is a bad idea, it'll make for big time delays and the exact same advise being posted by (unknowing) folk, as they cant see what someone else has already posted before them as it is waiting for moderator approval.

<< Fio >>
    i agree! i only wanted it for the guest account

but as for time delay this is a bulletin board not a chat room ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Otherwise remove the user name, signature, post count, registered date on the output.

nice one hobbler!!

have to be logged in to post, but no details are put on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

Why would anybody want to post anonymous???

Say what you want, to whoever you want!!!
    I am gonna turn my sig into a pic of myself, so you lot can see who it is that thinks you are all gits!!

Anonimity is like being politically correct!! It is the language of cowardice.

I don't think it can work like that, you can only have moderation on or off. I'll turn it off and let's see what kind of spam does or does not occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by daftbegger
    Why would anybody want to post anonymous???

Say what you want, to whoever you want!!!
    I am gonna turn my sig into a pic of myself, so you lot can see who it is that thinks you are all gits!!

Anonimity is like being politically correct!! It is the language of cowardice.

If you had the courage of your convictions youd put your picture in your sig...which you wont.

Advertisement